Accident reduction campaign at Songkran: Here are the stats

webfact

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Amazing!

That is a statistic that I could never figure out, and that is not just here, after 31 years in LE as a Traffic enforcement officer and Commander.  Fatigue, inattention, dropping your cell phone, reaching for something, all while driving caused many of the issues where a crash on a straight roadway happened, as well as crossing over the center line and hitting another vehicle head on.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Pulled over at 1,905 checkpoints were 377,754 motorists. A total of 59,218 officials worked at the checkpoints.

Tickets issued: 231,838

Are they really trying to say that nearly two thirds of motorists stopped were issued tickets - that terrifying !

This as usual is total B/S the traffic help stop near me did absolutely nothing, most of the time people sat their looking at their phones. At no time did I see any Officer do anything pro-active .

Those stops I  did see operating was more like a Fred Carnos Army exercise , than REAL police Officers doing their duty, saw one stop a car but a motorcycle with THREE people ( non wearing helmets ) sailed past. Go figure and how many of those with NO Licences were allowed to carry on driving , probably the vast majority, so that the Police are guilty of allowing UN-Licenced people to drive . Well done the RTP ....another shoot yourself in the foot action. If they then had an accident the RTTYP will be as guilty as the man driving . Only in Thailand ( land of corruption )  would this be allowed to occur openly and brazenly  

Edited by Khun Paul
spelling

38 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Amazing!

No licence: 17,318

No helmet: 16,505

They will NEVER learn!

Learning just isn't the Thai way.

Not at all the Thai way.

It's one of the big reasons why they're still (rightly) regarded as a Developing Country. Nothing to learn from anyone. Know everything already and never wrong. Not ever.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So far from safe driving then, but instead just another 6 days on the roads in Thailand. People always in a hurry to get somewhere (Between 4 pm and 8pm: 25.56%), or out for a good time and partying causing the DUI (Because of drink driving: 31.31%) and possible related deaths.  This country may be the worst but alas it is not the only country that has road deaths.  Generally during a maximum enforcement campaign all Law Enforcement personnel that are not off already on a vacation have to work and thus the stats are reduced during this time frame.  Unfortunately you can not compare this Songkran period with last years as last year travel was restricted tremendously, and this years totals may be lower than years past because of people deciding not to travel.  We will never know, but at least there were not over a thousand dead during this period.  I will have to say they did a decent job.  Publishing the stats is at least some transparency when it comes to the citations issued and the vehicles stopped and checked.

Until someone informs the populace what happened everyone what 

action was taken against those picked up for DUI I'll be convinced that the RTP

is a .............

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is a statistic that I could never figure out, and that is not just here, after 31 years in LE as a Traffic enforcement officer and Commander.  Fatigue, inattention, dropping your cell phone, reaching for something, all while driving caused many of the issues where a crash on a straight roadway happened, as well as crossing over the center line and hitting another vehicle head on.

How about riding a bike no hands holding a baby while texting? bet you never seen that

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Are they really trying to say that nearly two thirds of motorists stopped were issued tickets - that terrifying !

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Wont matter Most of those tickets be in the bin today and they will still be doing the same thing

13 hours ago, ChipButty said:

How about riding a bike no hands holding a baby while texting? bet you never seen that

Or how about A Pillion holding a twin tub washing machine on his lap, on a steep windy road, is one I will never forget.

• Like 1