Can't Lose Weight

Neeranam

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't be a bigot, open your mind a bit, the problem is nutrition is similar to religion

Don't be a bigot, open your mind a bit, the problem is nutrition is similar to religion

Open my mind to utter nonsense, no thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The man is a dick and should know better. 

He is most likely a paid shill for large corporations like Kellog's who want you to eat corn flakes for breakfast so they get rich. And they don't care about your health. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, covidiot said:

He is most likely a paid shill for large corporations like Kellog's who want you to eat corn flakes for breakfast so they get rich. And they don't care about your health. 

you could say that about loads of them including Sten Ekberg and Dr Berg who sell products

you could say that about loads of them including Sten Ekberg and Dr Berg who sell products

Yes, you could.

If someone is saying the complete opposite, they both can't be right. 

So you can use logic, common sense, intuition, and actually test the diets out yourself to find out who is lying to you. 

McDougall is giving his patients sugar ... and you don't realize that he's yanking your chain? Well, take the time you need to figure it out. 

• Like 1

@Neeranam

You can't expect to slim down a lot after just two weeks. It takes a few years to see results provided you are consistent in your diet.

I'm sure you grew fat not in a few weeks or even few months, right?

The other thing is that as we grow older, our metabolism slows down so it's easier to get fatter than slimming down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, covidiot said:

Yes, you could.

If someone is saying the complete opposite, they both can't be right. 

So you can use logic, common sense, intuition, and actually test the diets out yourself to find out who is lying to you. 

McDougall is giving his patients sugar ... and you don't realize that he's yanking your chain? Well, take the time you need to figure it out. 

Hospitals give people sugar via a drip apparently, it's that bad. Here's another video for you to try to open your mind

55 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The test that doctors most often rely on to detect a person’s risk for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes—the hemoglobin A1c (A1c) blood test—too often delivers a poor reading, thereby missing the diagnosis in nearly three out of four at-risk individuals,1 according to research presented at the Endocrine Society meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The investigators compared the accuracy of the A1c test with the other screening method used to assess patients’ risk of diabetes—the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)—to arrive at this startling conclusion.1

--Hemoglobin A1c Not Reliable in Diagnosing Type 2 Diabetes

Good baseline then perhaps the A1c and usual fasting glucose (but ask for the fasting insulin as well) good for the routine checkups IF you're not following a diet that creates continual insulin spikes. IMO, merely. ????

That's the first time I've heard that so thank you for posting it. I shall need to do some digging and ask some questions before I can add anything to the debate.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Hospitals give people sugar via a drip apparently, it's that bad.

they way doctors treat diabetics is a necessary evil because diabetics refuse to stop eating sugar. 

if you can't give up large quantities of sugar, then by all means go down the route of the medical system. 

it's not ideal ... and it's not something that should be promoted as a proper diet. 

Just now, covidiot said:

they way doctors treat diabetics is a necessary evil because diabetics refuse to stop eating sugar. 

if you can't give up large quantities of sugar, then by all means go down the route of the medical system. 

it's not ideal ... and it's not something that should be promoted as a proper diet. 

Diabetes is NOT about eating sugar, not even a little bit. Diabetes is about excess carbohydrates and the body's inability to produce insulin or insulin resistance. 

On 4/25/2021 at 5:40 AM, scubascuba3 said:

high fat though, fat you eat is the fat you wear

In moderation it's ok. Eliminating all excess sugar is the way to lose weight, along with exercise and a calorie controlled and balanced diet. 

8 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Diabetes is NOT about eating sugar, not even a little bit. Diabetes is about excess carbohydrates and the body's inability to produce insulin or insulin resistance. 

Interesting, they can use carbs to cure diabetes

2 minutes ago, covidiot said:

sugar and carbs are of the same family.

Only in the same way that you and I are related! From a dieters point of view they are very different things, the difference between simple and complex carbs is key to vital.

5 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Only in the same way that you and I are related! From a dieters point of view they are very different things, the difference between simple and complex carbs is key to vital.

well, being frienemies on the internet must count for something.

so you're saying sugar is not connected to diabetes? 

muahahaha. 

2 minutes ago, covidiot said:

well, being frienemies on the internet must count for something.

so you're saying sugar is not connected to diabetes? 

muahahaha. 

Not quite, but I think you know that!

You wrote, "they way doctors treat diabetics is a necessary evil because diabetics refuse to stop eating sugar". Saying that to a newly diagnosed diabetic (or to anyone) who understands nothing about the cause of and the solution to diabetes implies that an excess of soft drinks along with cakes and sweets is the cause of the problem...cut those things or, as you put it, stop eating sugar and the problem will go away. As we both know, I hope, the majority cause of T2 diabetes is not those things, it is excess simple carbs. Pointing out that carbs and sugar are from the same family doesn't really help either, unless of course we're going to have a debate about molecular science and structures.

1 hour ago, covidiot said:

Is the goal just to lose weight? Or to lose weight and maintain good health?

Goal is health, but this guy was healthier after that diet then before. Of course a better diet would have been better. Point of mentioning the twinkie diet was the fact that its more about calories then what you eat if its about weight loss.

My diet is healthy certainly not a twinkie diet. I think one or two more months then im back to lean. This time its much easier then last time.  Almost no hunger.

• Thanks 1

I've found it very easy losing weight from 78 to 71 if you are doing the right things, nice being lean, fit and healthy, cut out the junk that has loads of fat in, chips, crisps, chocolate, ice cream, cake, biscuits, pastries, beer.

I eat more than I've ever eaten and keep eating until full. I'm not scared of sugar and carbs, most people are

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've found it very easy losing weight from 78 to 71 if you are doing the right things, nice being lean, fit and healthy, cut out the junk that has loads of fat in, chips, crisps, chocolate, ice cream, cake, biscuits, pastries, beer.

I eat more than I've ever eaten and keep eating until full. I'm not scared of sugar and carbs, most people are

Up to age 60 years I could eat anything and everything and my weight always remained constant, exercise/don't exercise, eat healthily/eat rubbish, gorge/starve, nothing made much difference. After age 60 it all changes. Currently I have to micro manage every mouthful, if I walk within fifty feet of white simple carbs I absorb them through my skin and I gain weight. The message is, don't be complacent about the problem and don't take it for granted, establishing healthy eating patterns when you're younger will avoid huge problems downstream. 

5 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Up to age 60 years I could eat anything and everything and my weight always remained constant, exercise/don't exercise, eat healthily/eat rubbish, gorge/starve, nothing made much difference. After age 60 it all changes. Currently I have to micro manage every mouthful, if I walk within fifty feet of white simple carbs I absorb them through my skin and I gain weight. The message is, don't be complacent about the problem and don't take it for granted, establishing healthy eating patterns when you're younger will avoid huge problems downstream. 

Happy I've found the perfect nutrition, my weight, BMI, blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, HbA1c and the rest all very good. It's worth getting regular blood tests to spot trends. If you are putting weight on you're doing it wrong

Edited by scubascuba3

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Happy I've found the perfect nutrition, my weight, cholesterol, blood sugar, HbA1c and the rest all very good. It's worth getting regular blood tests to spot trends

Yep, I've done that too plus I put them all into a spreadsheet so that I can follow the history. Reading that history is like watching a frame by footage of a fighter jet hurtling into the ground, it makes interesting viewing but doesn't change the outcome. Here's part of that history:

DATE    KGS   FBS       A1C

Jun-10 77 98  
Jan-11 77 97 5.4
May-11 77 97 5.4
Dec-11 80 95  
Feb-12 85 94  
Mar-12 84 94 5.1
May-12 83 87 4.9
Nov-12 83 105 5.4
Feb-13 82 111 5.5
Apr-13 77 102 5.5
Dec-13 78 97 5.1
 Feb 14 79 100 5.3
Sep-14 84 100 5.3
Jan-16 85 103 5.6
Dec-16 84 94 5.6
Jul-17 84 101 5.6
Jul-17 83    
Mar-18 85   5.9
Jul-18 84   5.8
Jun-19 87 98 6
Jan-20 86 98 6
Jul-20 84   5.9
Dec-20 86 99 5.8

Twice a year the endocrinologist would say, your numbers are fine. Then six months later she said, oh, you've got metabolic syndrome.