Can't Lose Weight

Neeranam

25 minutes ago, Brierley said:

82kgs is excellent for me also. The thing is, I was 75 kgs most of my adult life, eight years ago, at age 63, I went from 77 to 85 kgs and I've been fighting it every since.

When i was in my early 40's, I could lose weight fairly easily using the gym in ym village. Not to much change in diet. I got down to about 83kg at that time. But, since then, it's been harder to keep the weight off, I guess as metabolism slows down over time. I had some good losses 2 years ago, but during that time I got a kidney stone. The pain and stress from that also kept my weight down. But after passing that stone the weight started to come back on again. 

Being stuck at home during covid hasn't helped either, as I dont get the normal 5000 steps in I would normally get when Im working. The main factors I think are slee and diet (love my food too much), and need to make changes there too. 

Edited by DavisH
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2021 at 7:10 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not trying to lose weight just eating as many carbs as i need for energy, carbed up and all that, minimising fat and avoiding fat junk like chocolate, pastries and ice cream. No weight gain and blood test results all good. BMI 23 i don't need to go any lower

Try dark chocolate (high cocoa percent) - lots of health benefits. Of course, don't eat a bar a day:)

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Ketosis also does not work when there is no caloric deficit. This has been proven in laboratories. Really for someone knowing about keto you have a lot information lacking. 

As others already have put you on the ignore list I find you entertaining, 

Never shy about admitting you're the oracle on all things health, fitness and dieting, and steadfast in always having to have the last word, 

You will reply to this, you can't help yourself, prove me wrong, lol

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cobra said:

As others already have put you on the ignore list I find you entertaining, 

Never shy about admitting you're the oracle on all things health, fitness and dieting, and steadfast in always having to have the last word, 

You will reply to this, you can't help yourself, prove me wrong, lol

I'm thinking, Pavlovian conditioning. ????

Edited by Brierley
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Out of those I only eat biscuits ( as low in sugar as possible ), occasional crisps ( like the diabetic nurse says, no point in overdoing it and never enjoying anything one eats- in moderation, of course ) and chips now and then.

I eat unsweetened yoghurt, which diabetic nurse says is OK- I assume you mean the sweetened sort.

I'm not scared of sugar and carbs, i try to minimise fat, fatty junk especially

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brierley said:

I'm thinking, Pavlovian conditioning. ????

Your thinking.. quite a feat for someone who said that the calories in breakfast don't count. Call it the Brierley diet and watch people get fat. 

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2021 at 5:49 PM, jackdd said:

It looks like you nearly only eat <deleted> food. None of the food you listed is good for a diet.

You could of course still lose weight if you eat less calories than you consume, but that you don't lose weight does quite likely mean that you eat too much. (Two weeks is not very long though, some weight fluctuation could potentially hide some fat loss)

There are many ways to diet, there isn't the one truth, you have to figure out what works for you. In general increasing protein, and lowering carbs (especially sugar) and fat helps.

Get a food scale, weigh everything that you eat and write down the calories.

When I lost 15 kg on 3 months, I ate fish, banana, vegetables bacon, oat, beef, rye crackers, and more, but stayed away from bread, potato, rice, sugar (in food as well) and such. If you eat alot outside, you have to know what they putting in your food, and if you ask for no sugar, you have to make sure they understand. Some thai restaurants I went to, did not add sugar, but did not balance the meal with the rest of ingridents to match up with no sugar, so it tasted aweful. And they blamed me for not wanting sugar. 

I was 179cm 96 kg, and I kept strictly 1750k for 6 days a week 3 months, and one eating day useally saturday. 

Walked 5 km every morning and evening, and went to the gym 4 days a week. It doesnt matter what you really do, walking running, swimming, but you have to get to the gym and start lifting some weights. The most important things for men passing 50! 

And as others says, there is nothing wrong with your weight, except if you have skinny arms, chest and legs, and a big belly!

what most people who is not sick need, is dicipline. Get up in the morning and start moving, eat your breakfest that should be oat pudding and a bananan and a tiny spoon of jam. 

Cut alchohol and no meal or after 17:00 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone who is open minded have a look at this video, talking about sugar\carbs. 14 mins, first McDougall part sums it up

https://youtu.be/kK5p3mDvDaU

Yes, if you eat less calories than you burn you lose weight, doesn't matter which kind of macros you consume, also works with rice and sugar. This was pointed out quite a few times before in this topic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Yes, if you eat less calories than you burn you lose weight, doesn't matter which kind of macros you consume, also works with rice and sugar. This was pointed out quite a few times before in this topic.

that's not the point of the video

On 4/25/2021 at 1:26 AM, Brierley said:

We don't have sugar or salt in our house and I never eat anything such as cookies or cakes or drink fizzy/soft drinks/booze. My diet is literally, every day:

100% chocolate powder/cocoa in the morning

1 cup Oatmeal with almond milk for breakfast, maybe a small greenish banana too.

fresh grilled chicken or fish with salad, oil and vinegar dressing/green veg for my main meal.

vegetables/orange/apple/handful almonds for snacks - a small cube of cheddar or sardines.

water with lemon juice.

Once a week I might have a sandwich for lunch, olive bread from nana bakery and grilled chicken breast.

That's it, nothing more.

All I can say is that everyone's metabolism is different, but giving up sugar worked for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still on the same weight as when I started this thread. 

However, the belly has lost some bulk.

One question - I just had a 'slip', I ate a large tub of ice-cream last night. 

How detrimental is this kind of a 'relapse'?

On 5/12/2021 at 10:33 AM, Neeranam said:

Depends on how many times it happens. A slipup like that can destroy a weeks progress. 

Its common to not see the scale move that is why i always advise people to use a measuring tape around their belly.

Quite often people who start to do some sports gain muscle and water weight and then it looks like no weight has been lost.

• Thanks 1

Just look on the box how many calories it had. 7000 calories are one kilogram of body fat.

So if the ice cream had 2000 calories it set you back about 300 grams of body fat.

But ice cream isn't super calorie dense, so probably you didn't eat 2000 calories.

over a 30 minute time period super

over a day a bit

over a week a tiny bit

over a month less than you can even measure

over a few months......

you get the point I hope 

• Like 2

Ooops. Maybe eat fewer fruit loops.

What you need is more motivation. Why not go ahead and get yourself an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test)? A1c isn't as reliable. Let us know the score. Could mean the end of ice cream 'slips.'

12 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Ooops. Maybe eat fewer fruit loops.

What you need is more motivation. Why not go ahead and get yourself an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test)? A1c isn't as reliable. Let us know the score. Could mean the end of ice cream 'slips.'

Did this test help your motivation? 

If so, in what ways? 

A quick search shoes it is for pregnant women. 

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If so, in what ways? 

A1C and OGTT are very different tests.

The A1C measures the volumes of glycated red blood cells in your system, those are red blood cells that have glucose attached. Such cells have a life of 90 days so the test is very accurate and portrays the past 90 days consumption very accurately.

OGTT is really nothing more than a controlled pin <deleted> blood test which can be done using a testing machine. The OGTT is done in a controlled environment so the measurement is more accurate and the glucose intake is measured precisely also.

A1C looks at the past 90 days, the OGTT looks at how well your body handles glucose intake right now and how quickly it recovers.

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Give up ice cream, it's very addictive, the fat you eat is the fat you wear

Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat. Essential Fats are vital in any balanced diet and in dieting . 

https://www.ndtv.com/health/weight-loss-do-fats-make-you-fat-nutritionist-tells-what-you-really-should-believe-about-fats-2362523

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brierley said:

A1C and OGTT are very different tests.

The A1C measures the volumes of glycated red blood cells in your system, those are red blood cells that have glucose attached. Such cells have a life of 90 days so the test is very accurate and portrays the past 90 days consumption very accurately.

OGTT is really nothing more than a controlled pin <deleted> blood test which can be done using a testing machine. The OGTT is done in a controlled environment so the measurement is more accurate and the glucose intake is measured precisely also.

A1C looks at the past 90 days, the OGTT looks at how well your body handles glucose intake right now and how quickly it recovers.

OK, thanks, but why would this help your motivation? 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

OK, thanks, but why would this help your motivation? 

I can't see that it would be hey, who knows, perhaps ask the fountain of all dieting knowledge guy, he knows everything.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat. Essential Fats are vital in any balanced diet and in dieting . 

https://www.ndtv.com/health/weight-loss-do-fats-make-you-fat-nutritionist-tells-what-you-really-should-believe-about-fats-2362523

https://youtu.be/1cl2IX94GCI

Educate yourself

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If so, in what ways? 

No, as I've always had plenty of motivation, my father having had a severe case of diabetes from a relatively early age. His was an anomalous case somehow connected to his military injuries. Hence, I never eat fruit loops or ice cream. Or miss either one; shocking, I know.

But just recently we had a poster learn of his prediabetes and it certainly helped his motivation. Wise, I'd say, but that's just me, as, of course, everyone's different. Couple of old friends, before they died betimes, stayed obese despite their diabetes and just took insulin shots before enjoying their ice cream. Yeah! So, even if you found out you do have prediabetes (it's often latent and asymptomatic), it may not help your motivation at all, and you'll have shown me, heh. Right on, man.

I'm quite surprised to learn that glucose tolerance tests are only administered to pregnant women. It seems not widely known, so you've uncovered some real news there. ????

2 hours ago, Brierley said:

The test that doctors most often rely on to detect a person’s risk for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes—the hemoglobin A1c (A1c) blood test—too often delivers a poor reading, thereby missing the diagnosis in nearly three out of four at-risk individuals,1 according to research presented at the Endocrine Society meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The investigators compared the accuracy of the A1c test with the other screening method used to assess patients’ risk of diabetes—the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)—to arrive at this startling conclusion.1

--Hemoglobin A1c Not Reliable in Diagnosing Type 2 Diabetes

Good baseline then perhaps the A1c and usual fasting glucose (but ask for the fasting insulin as well) good for the routine checkups IF you're not following a diet that creates continual insulin spikes. IMO, merely. ????