GEL Battery - needs charging?

scooterboy

Sorry, I know next to nothing about batteries .......

I'm thinking of buying (online) a SEALED GEL BATTERY for my scooter, this kind being the type that is NOT TOPPED UP with distilled water.

My question is, does this type of battery need CHARGING, out of the box - and before mounting on the scooter?
If so, then (roughly) how long should it be charged?

Actually, not having to charge would suit me best.....

Battery Examples : FB Battery FZ5L-MF 12V, 5AH   and   GIANT 12N7L-BS 12V, 7AH

Yes, I have 2 scooters.

Thanks for any useful info.  ????

6 minutes ago, scooterboy said:

My question is, does this type of battery need CHARGING, out of the box - and before mounting on the scooter?
If so, then (roughly) how long should it be charged?

Is a dry battery type it may need a charge so 3 - 7 hours charging should be OK.

Sounds daft but unless you live remotely, wouldn't it be easier to go to the dealer? They have different types of batteries, ie. cheap or not so cheap. Or gasp shock a battery shop there are many of those. 

I simply want to push a button, start the bike and go riding. Note to self: Check what type of battery my bike has.

Edited by VocalNeal

Why don't you just go to the next best battery shop? These shops can be found nearly everywhere. The battery will be charged already, you don't have to exchange it yourself, and they keep the old battery so you don't have to think about how to get rid of an old battery.

• Like 2

As far as I remember the last replacement battery did not need charging.

Similar to the out of the box car batteries these days.

Unpack, connect and start (at the shop).

Two days ago one scooter battery was dead as a dodo (6.x V), daughter forgot to switch off ignition.

I used a small charger for about one hour at 3 A until he battery was over 13 V.

Good to start and do a short excursion.

I always do that on my own (have multi-meter and charger).

Just checked a typical offer at Lazada (some "YUASA" model).

There is no English text available, but the Thai text clearly says "ready to use" (พร้อมใช้).

about one hour at 3 A

If charging on your own: one hour only if the battery is deeply discharged.

They usually say 30 min at 3A or 5 to 10 hours at 0.4 A.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies - much appreciated.

To answer a few questions and comments - yes, I live very remotely and there's no "battery store/shop" here. The last battery I wanted had to be ordered from a store quite far away - from 'wherever', and which took a couple of weeks. Also, I'd like to avoid as much contact as possible with the locals at  the moment - due to Covid possibly rampaging around the area just now. 

40 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Two days ago one scooter battery was dead as a dodo (6.x V), daughter forgot to switch off ignition.

Is that a sealed gel battery - or a normal top-up one?

Yes, I've noticed the "ready for use" notice on some online sites/stores, but have no idea if that means that the battery is already fully charged - or just means it doesn't need "filling up"..

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I simply want to push a button, start the bike and go riding.

Yep - same here!

As I understand things from members here - if I order a GEL battery, then it'll already be charged before I receive it, though obviously I'll have to contact the seller before buying, to be (reasonably) sure.

Thanks ????

1 hour ago, scooterboy said:

To answer a few questions and comments - yes, I live very remotely and there's no "battery store/shop" here. The last battery I wanted had to be ordered from a store quite far away - from 'wherever', and which took a couple of weeks. Also, I'd like to avoid as much contact as possible with the locals at  the moment - due to Covid possibly rampaging around the area just now. 

Yes, I've noticed the "ready for use" notice on some online sites/stores, but have no idea if that means that the battery is already fully charged - or just means it doesn't need "filling up"..

Yep - same here!

As I understand things from members here - if I order a GEL battery, then it'll already be charged before I receive it, though obviously I'll have to contact the seller before buying, to be (reasonably) sure.

Thanks ????

Have bought 2 batteries from these people, fast/good service, would recommend :

https://www.lazada.co.th/yuasa-ytx7l-bs-i382558942-s743876319.html?spm=a2o4m.evaluation_my_review.0.0.788f6108YkOBnm

2 hours ago, scooterboy said:

Yep - same here!

Thanks ????

Have to stop you there... you are still unclear on the type of batteries available.

Talking about a (GEL) gel battery is completely incorrect. I'm not going to bother explaining what they are but a quick Google search will explain all...including how they are different from regular batteries.

You want a regular sealed battery. "Batt Heng" in Thai.  All will understand. They are ready to go out of the box.

The other kind of regular batteries require topping up with distilled water. Avoid. pain in the butt.

6 hours ago, scooterboy said:

SEALED GEL BATTERY

Not sure you are looking at a GEL battery.  Typically Gel batteries are used for slow discharge not starting.  Typical uses are wheelchair, electric scooter, or electric fishing motor.   I think what you are looking at are just sealed maintenance free batteries if they are starter batteries. 
I used Gel Cell for my remote golf trolly.  They are great but require a special slow charger.   Here is a link to the various types of batteries. 

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/5-battery-types-explained-sealed-agm-gel.html

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I think what you are looking at are just sealed maintenance free batteries if they are starter batteries. 

I think you are right.

I don't care much about the technology there.

It's dry, it's ready, no maintenance (except you drained it).

"Electrolyte filled"/"non spillable" they show.

Anyway: ready to use is ready to use.

What else could it mean? Connect and start.battery.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 hours ago, scooterboy said:

Battery Examples : FB Battery FZ5L-MF 12V, 5AH   and   GIANT 12N7L-BS 12V, 7AH

That's interesting.

The first one is "electrolyte filled" as most.

The second is "Nano Gel Technology".

Here I am out ????

gelbattery.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Nano Gel Technology".

The distributor in China shows the Giant to be an electrolyte battery also.  I would be surprised if it is a Gel Battery.  As mentioned they are slow discharge not high cranking power used for starting a car or motorcycle. 

image.png