STV to Non O Retirement Visa

The STV regulations clearly state that the STV visa cannot be converted. In practice, has anyone tried this? Past practice was that there was a way to convert a tourist visa or even a VOA to a Non Immigrant O visa. It wasn't cheap.

OP, you cannot obtain a tourist visa or visa exempt from your STV.

Which means you won't be able to obtain a non O. You could ask an agent however pretty sure they will say CANNOT.

If you had entered on VE or TV you could have obtained a non O.

@ThaiVisaCentre any ideas

Edited by DrJack54

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you cannot obtain a tourist visa or visa exempt from your STV.

Which means you won't be able to obtain a non O. You could ask an agent however pretty sure they will say CANNOT.

If you had entered on VE or TV you could have obtained a non O.

@ThaiVisaCentre any ideas

He should contact our team, we have assisted with similar situations. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

How is this legitimately possible?

We specialize in helping people stay in Thailand, but I am sure you know this by now.

But we must know the full situation, which is why he would need to contact my team first so we can review it, and see what we can do.

That being said if anyone is planning on coming to Thailand, and converting to retirement we advise to NOT get an STV visa. They should be getting a TR visa, or coming in on Exempt entry. By coming on STV you will be making things much harder, and in some cases impossible especially without assistance.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, niebla said:

Past practice was that there was a way to convert a tourist visa or even a VOA to a Non Immigrant O visa. It wasn't cheap.

I converted from a visa exempt last year. The fee was 2000 baht, which seems perfectly cheap to me.

13 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I converted from a visa exempt last year. The fee was 2000 baht, which seems perfectly cheap to me.

That's the correct price. If based on retirement you would have provided financial requirements eg money in Thai bank account etc

Edited by DrJack54

18 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

We specialize in helping people stay in Thailand, but I am sure you know this by now.

But we must know the full situation, which is why he would need to contact my team first so we can review it, and see what we can do.

That being said if anyone is planning on coming to Thailand, and converting to retirement we advise to NOT get an STV visa. They should be getting a TR visa, or coming in on Exempt entry. By coming on STV you will be making things much harder, and in some cases impossible especially without assistance.

I'm in uk waiting for my second jab, my retirement visa runs out end of may n don't get my jab untill June, any advice on my visa 

15 minutes ago, PAULPACKAGE said:

I'm in uk waiting for my second jab, my retirement visa runs out end of may n don't get my jab untill June, any advice on my visa 

You need start over. When you state "retirement visa" do you mean non O-A visa or that you  currently have an extension?

You could enter visa exempt and obtain non o retirement and subsequently obtain 12 month extension. Need 400k in Thai bank on the day you apply for the non O. Also you could opt to apply for non o retirement in UK

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, PAULPACKAGE said:

The only difference is a 7 day quarantine if vaccinated and 10 days if not at this time.

Entering the country on May 11. Will open a bank account and transfer the required amount so it can season for 2-3 months. Will work with immigration and agents to do whatever is necessary. Entering on a tourist visa or VOA did not seem feasible with the two week quarantine. Will post whatever happens in July. 

On 4/21/2021 at 12:10 PM, niebla said:

Past practice was that there was a way to convert a tourist visa or even a VOA to a Non Immigrant O visa. It wasn't cheap.

It's still a practice, cost is 2,000 baht.

8 minutes ago, niebla said:

Entering the country on May 11. Will open a bank account and transfer the required amount so it can season for 2-3 months. Will work with immigration and agents to do whatever is necessary. Entering on a tourist visa or VOA did not seem feasible with the two week quarantine. Will post whatever happens in July. 

Presumably you want to stay long term on a 1 year extension based on retirement.

You need to be on a Non Immigrant type Visa to do that.

If you thought 2,000 baht was expensive to change a VE to a Non O at Immigration, your in for a real surprise using an agent to get from your STV entry to Non O > 1 year extension.

Puzzled why you didn't obtain a Non Imm O Visa in the first instance from your local Thai Embassy.