Black Soil

HullyGully

1 hour ago, HullyGully said:

I live not to far from Meechok Plaza

5cum around 1500 - 200baht

Do you mean 5cubic metres? A 6 wheeler truck holds about 3 cumt. 

So you want 5m wide x5m high x5m deep??

if you want it say 8 inches deep (0.2m),that will cover an area of, say, 13m by 50m if my Math is correct. (it may not be...)

that will be a huge cost. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not full of clay...

regards worgeordie

Much of what is sold today as "din dam" does have a lot of clay in it.  Hard to find natural top soil with lots of composted organic matter in it.  

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 12:37 PM, DeaconJohn said:

In all probability he means topsoil - soil that contains a high percentage of decomposed organic matter.

The Chiang Mai plain was in the remote past an inland lake that gradually silted up and the result is the sandy clay soil that is almost everywhere that hasn't been upgraded with something better for growing purposes.

As you say, the area around Chiang Mai was a big lake at one time. That explains the lack of good topsoil here.

It can be clearly seen on a topographical map where the boundaries are defined by mountains in the north near Doi Chang Dao to Doi Khun Tan in the south. The widest part looks like Doi Suthep to Doi Saket, east to west. The Ping River is all that remains of it.

Not much in the way of organic based topsoil but rich in a variety of clays that have been used since ancient times for ceramics as well as bricks and tiles for construction purposes. Sand and gravel pits have also been exploited by the inhabitants over the years.

I would like to find sources of information about the dates of the geological changes that have taken place. I read somewhere that the Gulf of Thailand in early historical times extended as far north as the confluence of the Ping and Nan Rivers where Nakhon Sawan is now located.

• Like 2