Vegemite

Shopping today and came upon a bottle of Vegemite. Recall seeing it referenced a few times on TV. The label says its is Yeast concentrate.

What is it used for? A health food product or an additive of some sort? Is it supposed to be healthy and why?

It is a secret weapon to create a nation of legends on the sporting fields of the world. If can be used to patch tyres, fill holes in the tarmac, and to flavour stews. Eaten on toast for breakfast it is known to make fully grown men smile like kids at play lunch. It will attract Australians like a pair of wooly slippers will a kiwi.

How do you use it? dossage etc. Take it straight up, or with milk, water or whatever?

Straight up in MILK are you mad?

On toast is the standard method but it will do well on SAO bisuits, bread, and makes a good additive to meaty stews etc.

Warning: Vegemite should only be consumed by people possessing the gene sequence for the great southern land. It has been know to be lethal to lesser mortals such as Americans who think putting jam on peanut butter is the way to go.

Hope this helps to put a rose in your cheeks

:o

CB

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Warning: Vegemite should only be consumed by people possessing the gene sequence for the great southern land. It has been known to be lethal to lesser mortals such as Americans who think putting jam on peanut butter is the way to go.

or soapdodgers who think spotted dick is a health food :o

Hope this helps to put a rose in your cheeks

:D

CB

Since Vegemite is no longer Australian owned (not since 1935 anyway), this alternative spread has entered the market. Never tried it though.. Anyone have any ??

Started up by Dick Smith of the electronic fame and sold in some supermarkets in Oz. He actually (Really this is true) wanted to call it Dick Paste but the advertising council said there was no way it would be allowed so the when for AussieMate but then the final version. Had a lot of problems with Kraft food products threatening supermarkets if they promoted any of Dick's products. As far as I know it is available but you have to do a pretty good search to find it on the shelves in Oz. Never seen it sold overseas.

I don't like it but it is very similar to Vegemite - it is like beer or cola, once you make a preference most people will stick to one brand and will not change unless there is no alternative. I once had to spend six months eating PROMITE which is vile but despite eventually aquiring a taste for it reverted back to Vegemite as soon as I could get a jar of it.

CB

I used to be a real health food fanatic, so I was convinced that I would at least be able to stomach Vegemite, but what vile sh*te. Dog doo-doo can't be much worse! :o

If Aussie tucker doesn't flick your switch, here's some good ol US of A health treats..yummy..

post-31110-1179751181_thumb.jpg

I've never met anyone who liked Veg/Mar/mite who wasn't born and raised on it.

Peanut butter and jelly is pleasant to almost anyone with a sweet tooth.

Not anyone i know. Including children.. Must be a yankee thing.. :o

BTW it looks disgusting.. :D

Hmmm, which looks more yummy on toast, vegemite or picture number 3 (or should I say number 2)?

BTW, Australians calling Americans FAT? Now that's rich! Yes, we are number 1, but you are number 2. Uh oh, that number thing again.

Edited by Jingthing

looks ain't yummy

I am left speechless at that. Record the date.

Can I buy this in Thailand? I like salty things and fermented stuff. Anything like caviar? Guess not. So you suggest a thin spread on toast and grilled with cheese. What kind of cheese?

Edited by Jingthing

yes can buy but not easy to find .........................

don't go with the cheese thing personally , most aficionado's utilise kraft plastic slices ..................

definitely salty and quite unlike anything despite the scandalous references to marmite contained within

Hmmm, which looks more yummy on toast, vegemite or picture number 3 (or should I say number 2)?

BTW, Australians calling Americans FAT? Now that's rich! Yes, we are number 1, but you are number 2. Uh oh, that number thing again.

That is not correct - you want to post up your source for that statement?

CB

Folks, some of you have met someone who loves Vegemite but who wasn't raised on it. I'm from North Carolina and I've never been north of the Mason-Dixon line. I was 36 years old when my lovely Australian girlfriend, now my lovely Australian wife, introduced me to Vegemite. Great stuff, and I'm not just saying that because of her. This was in Hong Kong. Then we moved to mainland China 2 years later and I had DTs for the stuff. I'm so glad it's in Chiang Mai. Marmite, on the other hand, is <deleted>.

I would rather eat bush tucker food than that stuff ,, and my mother used to make us swallow a dessert spoon of thick cod liver oil once aweek ,, oh how we looked forward to that :o

That explains it then. :D

Edited by Austhaied

post-18138-1179808659_thumb.jpgpost-18138-1179808703_thumb.jpg

Moved from the Thai Food forum to the Western food forum as no self-respecting Thai person would eat this stuff :o

Here are a couple of pics of self-respecting Thais trying that stuff.

They weren`t very keen on it, but that could have been because they were allready full of raw beef and fermented fish.

You know,

people from N.Z and Oz like savoury or salty snacks.

Vegemite is just one of them.

In Thailand, I have trouble finding snacks with a salty taste.

Allmost all snacks seem to be sweetened in some way.

You cant beat some salty peanuts with a cold beer

Since Vegemite is no longer Australian owned (not since 1935 anyway), this alternative spread has entered the market. Never tried it though.. Anyone have any ??

Started up by Dick Smith of the electronic fame and sold in some supermarkets in Oz. He actually (Really this is true) wanted to call it Dick Paste but the advertising council said there was no way it would be allowed so the when for AussieMate but then the final version. Had a lot of problems with Kraft food products threatening supermarkets if they promoted any of Dick's products. As far as I know it is available but you have to do a pretty good search to find it on the shelves in Oz. Never seen it sold overseas.

I don't like it but it is very similar to Vegemite - it is like beer or cola, once you make a preference most people will stick to one brand and will not change unless there is no alternative. I once had to spend six months eating PROMITE which is vile but despite eventually aquiring a taste for it reverted back to Vegemite as soon as I could get a jar of it.

CB

He also had matches called 'Dick Heads'

You know,

people from N.Z and Oz like savoury or salty snacks.

Vegemite is just one of them.

In Thailand, I have trouble finding snacks with a salty taste.

Allmost all snacks seem to be sweetened in some way.

You cant beat some salty peanuts with a cold beer

.....As the Pom's scratch their heads at the thought of cold beer.

CB

He also had matches called 'Dick Heads'

That's right, I had forgotten that. For our non Australian readers, the main brand of matches in Australia are called Red Heads. Dick Smith was using a brand name that poked fun at each product he sold.

The Red Head Match Logo - post-36525-1179811145.gif

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

History of Vegemite

What's the difference between Vegemite & Marmite?

Vegemite Recipes

In my experience, the next question is: how do you make a Vegemite sandwich? Here, ready to cut and paste, are complete answers:

To make a Vegemite sandwich, you collect some grain, grow it and improve the stock for about 10 000 years, grind the seeds to make flour, mix into dough, knead, add yeast, set aside, bake in a greased tin in a medium oven, and slice. This is called "bread".

Oh yes, and to slice the bread, you need a bread board, made of wood. As a general rule, the best place to get wood is from trees -- the wood from sheep, for example, is much too fibrous, and bits keep getting caught up in the bread.

I can send you a recipe for making "butter", but you can also buy this in specialty stores called "supermarkets", from "super", the Old Hittite word for yaks' knees (they used to treat them with butter when they creaked). You will need some butter.

You also need a knife -- let me know if you need to know how to make one -- I believe that the good people of Texas have something similar, that they call a Bowie. Steel is generally best, and frozen mercury is not much good at all. The only wooden knife I ever used tended to merge in with the bread board, and be hard to find.

Anyhow, then you spread the butter on the bread with the knife, add Vegemite in the same way, slap two slices together, and you have a Vegemite sandwich. What could be easier

post-12864-1179811116.gif

Who says internet forums aren't influential? After reading this thread yesterday I hunted out the Vegemite at brekky this morning. Well I've tried it now and can safely say, based on experience, it is.............

:D:D:D:D:bah: ......real bluddy ripper matey! :o

But how anyone could compare it with Marmite is beyond comprehension. I spread a thin layer on toast and could hardly taste anything so I went back and applied a second coat. No change, tomorrow I'll just have to go for the full three coat system, primer, undercoat and topcoat. It must be the Aussie definition of spread thinly : at least 1/4" thick. :bah:

Who says internet forums aren't influential? After reading this thread yesterday I hunted out the Vegemite at brekky this morning. Well I've tried it now and can safely say, based on experience, it is.............

:D:D:D:D:bah: ......real bluddy ripper matey! :o

But how anyone could compare it with Marmite is beyond comprehension. I spread a thin layer on toast and could hardly taste anything so I went back and applied a second coat. No change, tomorrow I'll just have to go for the full three coat system, primer, undercoat and topcoat. It must be the Aussie definition of spread thinly : at least 1/4" thick. :o

Spread thinly ??? Who told you that ?? Give it large, don't be shy.. :bah:

Vegemite looks like some thing i picked out of my belly button and mixed with toe jam

and i think that's a pretty accurate representation of how it tastes too.

Mmmmm Vegemite also referred to as

Taint scrape

&

Grundel Butter