Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Face masks mandatory in Bangkok - even in your own car, BMA confirms

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

It appears that a lot of TVF members cannot see why they need to wear a mask in their car when they have a passenger and they say that it is their wife and they sleep with them with no mask. Well, how do the police know it is your wife and not just someone that you are giving a lift to the shopping mall.

How many hitch hicker’s do you pick up ????

Using your logic we should also wear mask in our own home, just in case we invite the delivery guy indoors !!!

Others have used the ‘easier for the police’ excuse - but it doesn’t polish out the idiocy of the regulation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Using your logic we should also wear mask in our own home, just in case we invite the delivery guy indoors !!!

Others have used the ‘easier for the police’ excuse - but it doesn’t polish out the idiocy of the regulation. 

In every case, one would have to prove to the police officers that you all live in the same residence. How would you do that? Lots of Thais share rides who don't live together. I don't see any other justification for the rule. Either way, a lot of infections are occuring in the home, as they did in the US and Europe. We really should wear masks in the house as well lol

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:
1 hour ago, Tech65 said:

Prayut fined for not wearing the mask in one picture, mocked by many people.

Everybody must now wear masks also driving car.

You don't need to wear a mask driving alone. 

No one is suggesting we do... But, given the idiocy of this rule and some of the excuses given by some posters maybe that rule is coming next.....  Just to make it easier for the Police so they don’t have to look to see if there are any children or short passengers in the rear seats... ????

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

In every case, one would have to prove to the police officers that you all live in the same residence. How would you do that? Lots of Thais share rides who don't live together. I don't see any other justification for the rule. Either way, a lot of infections are occuring in the home, as they did in the US and Europe. We really should wear masks in the house as well lol

Why would we need to prove anything ????

For the past 12 months we have been reading threads in which there were repeated comments regarding how well Thailand has done to stave off the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Thailand and Thai’s were complimented for their compliance in wearing masks....    What now, everyone wear’s a mask except when they get in someone else’s car ???

It's simple: Just continue the same existing regulations: Ask people to wear a mask when indoors in public spaces and when outdoors in proximity to others - This is all thats needed. 

Any additional regulations on mask wearing beyond this are just knee-jerk reactions and highlight the degree of flawed thinking, the level of panic and the absence of critical thought....  

The mask wearing itself is not the issue, the thought process of those making the decision is the concern IMO. 

20 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Subjecting young children to mask wearing is backed by what researched, peer reviewed scientific evidence?

Children will be ripping them off their faces, and are child masks freely available?

Children in Thailand are completely used to wearing masks. What country are you living in?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

So, if I commit a crime not wearing a mask while sitting next to my wife in a car, I guess I deserve death penalty if I indulge in looong and Deeeep French Kiss?

Hopefully you'll dodge the death penalty which does apply to mask wearing, but your wallet may end up 20,000 Baht lighter.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Headline fails to explain the in car requirement is only if you have a passenger with you.

They are nto requiring people driving alone to wear a mask inside their car, that would be ridiculous.

But having to wear a mask if you share car with someone who you have just spent whole night in bed with isn't ridiculous???

• Like 2

Headline fails to explain the in car requirement is only if you have a passenger with you.

They are nto requiring people driving alone to wear a mask inside their car, that would be ridiculous.

Read it again: "The post said that the rule regarding face masks also applies to people who are in their own cars with at least one other person, regardless if that other person is a family member."

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Kinnock said:

But equally ridiculous if the passenger is your wife/husband - unless you both wear masks in bed?

But with the dark windows of most Thai cars, you could be driving naked and nobody would notice.

If the government is so hell bent on everyone wearing masks why don't they supply good ones to everyone that lives here, until the vaccines arrive? Problem solved!

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

People in Bangkok are required to wear face masks at all times when out in public - even if they are in their own car.

This has now gone from a reason for inhibiting the spread of a virus to simply being a exercise in making money, exerting power, and repressing the commoners.  When I say that this will never end, it's this type of utter nonsense that makes me convinced as the government will never willing give this power up again.  It will be rolled out everytime they want the public to jump.  Governments want to repress in the name of limiting the spread of Covid, so they then engage in policing that accomplish nothing in limiting the spread but works to keep the face-down and prostate to their "leaders."

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fakser said:

Read it again: "The post said that the rule regarding face masks also applies to people who are in their own cars with at least one other person, regardless if that other person is a family member."

You are correcting Sheryl by repeating and re-wording but repeating exactly what she wrong?...

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

See this is what I mean about TVF members mentalities and someone who has to try and be smart but all they do is show their own stupidity by their own stupid remarks.

Who said anything about hitchhicker's? It could be a next door neighbour or a friend of the wife's that you are giving a lift to.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think more ridiculous people always arguing and then leaving their car without mask because they forgot it !

WEAR IT ALL THE TIME  ! is the only smart rule, passenger or not, anybody saying the contrary is ridiculous !

Edited by Sheryl
Civility
  • Like 1

Please keep it civil. Some posts had to be edited to remove flames/abusive language.

I myself try to be scrupulous about mask wearing in public but I do promptly  remove my mask as soon as back in my car. it is a welcome relief especially on hot days.

Luckily i am not in Bangkok.... (though I suspect the "in car mask wearing if there is more than 1 person in the car" bit will not get much enforcement.)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

See this is what I mean about TVF members mentalities and someone who has to try and be smart but all they do is show their own stupidity by their own stupid remarks.

Who said anything about hitchhicker's? It could be a next door neighbour or a friend of the wife's that you are giving a lift to.

Ok... How many ‘neighbours’ do you give a lift to. 

All my neighbours have their own cars, I’ve never needed a lift from a neighbour or given one to a neighbour. But, if I go in a grab taxi, Or, if I took a lift from a neighbour wearing a mask in the vehicle is common sense. 

This law removes the common sense. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Please keep it civil. Some posts had to be edited to remove flames/abusive language.

I myself try to be scrupulous about mask wearing in public but I do promptly  remove my mask as soon as back in my car. it is a welcome relief especially on hot days.

Luckily i am not in Bangkok.... (though I suspect the "in car mask wearing if there is more than 1 person in the car" bit will not get much enforcement.)

I'm in Khon Kaen which is in the red zone and the wearing of masks in the car is "law" here and a friend of mine was fined 500baht for not wearing his mask and he was alone in the car. Bangkok has amended this rule now so that it only applies if 2 or more people are in the car.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/bangkok-car-riders-must-wear-face-masks-if-2-or-more-people-in-car

19 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

I think more ridiculous people always arguing and then leaving their car without mask because they forgot it !

WEAR IT ALL THE TIME  ! is the only smart rule, passenger or not, anybody saying the contrary is ridiculous !

I think we have found the ‘Thai government official who has infiltrated ThaiVisa’...... 

IF you I4mI4m are incapable of remember your mask when you leave the car thats on you, but don’t assume everyone else is as forgetful - that is ridiculous. 

Suggesting that ‘wearing the mask all the time’ is the only smart rule is as ridiculous as suggesting we should wear the mask all the time at home.... Anyone saying such is ridiculous !!!... 

The mindless inability for people to think with a basic intelligence is highlighted by the comments above - Thailand is not full of idiots and they don’t need to be treated as such. 

Mask wearing by the general Thai public has never been an issue for the past 15 months, in general Thai’s have complied with mask wearing to a high degree. 

The few who have not can readily be singled out - making another blind and blanket regulation is moronic. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ok... How many ‘neighbours’ do you give a lift to. 

All my neighbours have their own cars, I’ve never needed a lift from a neighbour or given one to a neighbour. But, if I go in a grab taxi, Or, if I took a lift from a neighbour wearing a mask in the vehicle is common sense. 

This law removes the common sense. 

I often give a lift to my next door neighbour as her husband goes to work early and he takes the car and she often has to walk to catch the songtaew, and as I do not work and I normally do the grocery shopping alone and sometimes our neighbour is going at the same time so I give her a lift.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I'm in Khon Kaen which is in the red zone and the wearing of masks in the car is "law" here and a friend of mine was fined 500baht for not wearing his mask and he was alone in the car. Bangkok has amended this rule now so that it only applies if 2 or more people are in the car.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/bangkok-car-riders-must-wear-face-masks-if-2-or-more-people-in-car

There was an initial announcement which indicated that ‘whenever in a car’ (even when alone) - as you say, this rule was amended for Bangkok. But, the rule still highlights the idiocy of the thought process of those involved in the decision making.

Just now, Russell17au said:

I often give a lift to my next door neighbour as her husband goes to work early and he takes the car and she often has to walk to catch the songtaew, and as I do not work and I normally do the grocery shopping alone and sometimes our neighbour is going at the same time so I give her a lift.

And do you need to be policed or told to wear a mask because you are incapable of making that basic decision yourself ???? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And do you need to be policed or told to wear a mask because you are incapable of making that basic decision yourself ???? 

Only when I'm in my private car on my own it appears

Edited by Russell17au

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

You don't need to wear a mask driving alone. 

Ok, got it, but what if I drive with my daughter? or my wife? or my sister? or my mother?

I mean people close to me...

This regulation in my view might have a meaning for taxi only. But then useless because everybody wears mask already.

Edited by Tech65
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No one is suggesting we do... But, given the idiocy of this rule and some of the excuses given by some posters maybe that rule is coming next.....  Just to make it easier for the Police so they don’t have to look to see if there are any children or short passengers in the rear seats... ????

How are they going to enforce?

Most cars have darkened windows. What, when you just put a piece of "let's say' apple in your mouth.

Bang, pay a fine.

Not going to happen.

• Like 1