Face masks mandatory in Bangkok - even in your own car, BMA confirms

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, seancbk said:

Do you live under a rock?   Have you not seen very young children wearing what are obviously child sized masks, or seen the boxes and packages of child sized masks sold all over the place?

No I have not seen them from under my comfortable rock, and I do not have children to even concern myself with. 

Edited by RJRS1301

23 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

The notice (first page signed from Bangkok Gov) shown on above link at https://www.facebook.com/prbangkok/photos/pcb.3432734103492853/3432734053492858/

does not mention vehicles at all?

Being in a vehicle is obviously included in "Wearing a face mask is mandatory in all public spaces, both indoor and outdoor". If vehicles are not listed as being exempted, the requirement to wear face masks therefore also applies to being outdoors in a vehicle.

16 minutes ago, Jono136 said:

So why was the fine only 6,000 thb? In Phuket, they're saying 20,000 thb automatically if you're not wearing a mask in a public place! Is the fine at the discretion of the police? Based on what?

How much it looks like you have !!!... 

Look like you have 20,000 baht... ok - pay 20,000 baht official fine or a 10,000 baht back-hander !!!

On 4/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, smedly said:

if it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious 

I wonder what genius thought this one up - name them please 

Take your pick,there's a Parliament House in Bangkok full of them ????????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thaichina said:

Make it simple:

Open the door of your house, go out, wear your mask, then when you come back home, take off your  mask. Is that simple enough rule?

It’s simple if you’re a fan of unthinking letter of the law rule following without cognisance of the spirit or objectives of legislation. It’s the mentality that sees a helmetless mask wearing motorcycle rider. I guess that’s you....? ????‍♂️ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fleccer said:

Following this  logic you should also wear it at home and also while having sex with your wife obviously keeping the social distancing. 

As some mention here, wifes are refusing sex for ages. Good, saves the masks.

9 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Here is the actual MIT study: 

A guideline to limit indoor airborne transmission of COVID-19

Here are the key paragraphs regarding outdoor transmission (hyperlinks active in link above): 

"Further evidence for the dominance of indoor airborne transmission has come from an analysis of 7,324 early cases outside the Hubei Province, in 320 cities across mainland China (32). The authors found that all clusters of three or more cases occurred indoors, 80% arising inside apartment homes and 34% potentially involving public transportation; only a single transmission was recorded outdoors.
Finally, the fact that face mask directives have been more effective than either lockdowns or social distancing in controlling the spread of COVID-19 (22, 33) is consistent with indoor airborne transmission as the primary driver of the global pandemic."

Citing the CNBC article in the post above (MIT-researchers-say-youre-no-safer-from-covid-indoors-at-6-feet-or-60-feet-in-new-study) is this [bold added]: 

"As for social distancing outdoors, MIT professors Martin Z. Bazant, who teaches chemical engineering and applied mathematics, says it makes almost no sense and that doing so with masks on is “kind of crazy.”

“If you look at the air flow outside, the infected air would be swept away and very unlikely to cause transmission. There are very few recorded instances of outdoor transmission.” he said. “Crowded spaces outdoor could be an issue, but if people are keeping a reasonable distance of like 3 feet outside, I feel pretty comfortable with that even without masks, frankly.”

Bazant says this could possibly explain why there haven’t been spikes in transmission in states like Texas or Florida that have reopened businesses without capacity limits."

What will happen when the US CDC confirms this, which seems likely in the next day or so? How will Thailand react? (This is a rhetorical question, in case anyone can't figure that out...) 

By the way, in my opinion, seeing Thais (or any people) putting a baby mask on a toddler is really a tragedy. This is wrong on so many levels....

Good quote. Makes sense. There is very little about the "Covid narrative" that appears to be correct, science based and real. Alot of panic, fear and cowering into submission taking place. I know people who are afraid to leave their home. This is NOT the Bubonic Plague. 

5 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

Children in Thailand are completely used to wearing masks. What country are you living in?

Kids have no problems wearing masks, even down to about 3-4 years old. Our students wore them all last year in class. Do they like it? Probably not, neither do the teachers. Only one or two had a problem with masks. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

How much it looks like you have !!!... 

Look like you have 20,000 baht... ok - pay 20,000 baht official fine or a 10,000 baht back-hander !!!

6K first offence, 12K second offence, 20K third. That was in the news today.

1 hour ago, fleccer said:

Following this  logic you should also wear it at home and also while having sex with your wife obviously keeping the social distancing. 

Glory holes are recommended.   Search it No joke.

This is a Canadian Dr, Bonnie Henry recommendation:

Glory holes are typically used for anonymous oral or penetrative sex, according to Urban Dictionary, but they’re also an excellent way to limit physical contact during intercourse, the B.C. CDC says.

“Use barriers, like walls (e.g., glory holes), that allow for sexual contact but prevent close face-to-face contact,” the health organization writes on its website.

It sounds strange, but makes sense.  

A glory hole is a medical recommendation to not make face to face contact and prevent possible infection.

I have one in my condo and recommend it for all.

Stay safe.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Glory holes are typically used for anonymous oral or penetrative sex, according to Urban Dictionary, but they’re also an excellent way to limit physical contact during intercourse, the B.C. CDC says.

“Use barriers, like walls (e.g., glory holes), that allow for sexual contact but prevent close face-to-face contact,” the health organization writes on its website.

A glory hole is a medical recommendation to not make face to face contact and prevent possible infection.

I have one in my room and recommend it for all.

Stay safe.

hope the wall is just some plasterboard. 555

On 4/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, Dmaxdan said:

My glasses steam up if I wear a face mask. Particularly in a car with the aircon on. This makes driving..... awkward.

I know for a fact that I'm not alone with this. It is a well documented problem. Yet the powers that be here seem to be completely unaware of it.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, the interior of my car is as much my own personal space as that of my house.

I posed exactly the same question when this was announced the other day, strangely someone thought to add a laughing emoji ????

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2021 at 4:19 PM, Lacessit said:

I'd suggest having a sign in Thai on the dashboard explaining the driver and passengers are all COVID-positive, and are heading to the nearest hospital.

First the government allows travel from hotspots during Songkhran against medical advice. Then it wants more than one person in a car to wear masks. Said masks would be quite ineffective if one of the people were to be infectious in such close proximity, they would need something capable of filtering out 125 nm particles.

Stupidity squared, I'm wondering when the cubic function comes in.

And masks are equally ineffective on planes. But they still fly. Acceptable risk I suppose.

On 4/26/2021 at 3:45 PM, blackcab said:

What if you are a passenger and are eating or drinking in the car?

you should not eat in a car, same than eat in the bed. It is bad. But... why not make a hole in the mask ?

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have one in my condo and recommend it for all.

Stay safe.

Well tell to  Dr Bonnie to try his hand at this method himself, I prefer traditional ways

On 4/26/2021 at 9:29 AM, Sheryl said:

Headline fails to explain the in car requirement is only if you have a passenger with you.

They are nto requiring people driving alone to wear a mask inside their car, that would be ridiculous.

They are clearly thinking ahead and reducing the risk of infecting oneself..........

On 4/26/2021 at 10:29 AM, Sheryl said:

Headline fails to explain the in car requirement is only if you have a passenger with you.

They are nto requiring people driving alone to wear a mask inside their car, that would be ridiculous.

The all mask is ridiculous 

• Haha 1

This is nothing new

Does anyone remember when you could ride your motorcycle or car with spouse to the local restaurant, but you were not allowed to sit together?  For a while it was ONE person per table -- even children were sat separate.

866495516_000_1R03951.thumb.jpg.0dd27f500b565308b30ae1f4a6a4dd8a.jpg

Or this one from the Philippines.  You weren't allowed to ride a motor-taxi without a shield.  Even though you had a full helmet, with mask on ... 

2131018924_Angkas-Backride-shield_CNNPH1.jpg.44a590533b1a081885913c25618f8ef9.jpg

Edited by chaihot