is tap water safe to drink after boiling it?

BananaBandit

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If you live in a large conurbation, the water comes from a central source and you can smell the chlorine in the water then the answer is yes,

Yes, except for heavy metal contamination.  Which is a huge problem here in Thailand.  Especially from agricultural chemicals seeping into the ground water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yes, except for heavy metal contamination.  Which is a huge problem here in Thailand.  Especially from agricultural chemicals seeping into the ground water.

And how do we know that bottled water which mostly comes from the same source is not also "contaminated"? 

Some people grew up not trusting their water supply so I suppose it is a natural reaction.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

We get the big bottles delivered.  50B, and they'll even put them on if the other bottle is empty.  If I need to bring water out with me, I have metal drinking bottles.  Several.  And some are insulated.  Works great, and no plastic bottles.  Which I hate!!! LOL

I go next door and buy the big bottle 17/bht for cooking, not going to drink it.  Plastic bottles are all recycled

• Like 2

most popular and severe water contamination is heavy metal and agricultural chemical. boiling won't help, only very tight controlled RO system work. drink water right after RO, not put in the container and drink another hour.

14 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I grew up being able to drink water right out of the tap.  Not sure what you're talking about.

So did I, we simply drank it without worrying what was in it. 

As far as Reverse Osmosis goes, I have never been inside my local drinking water bottler's premises so I cannot confirm he/she uses it.

Boiling water will guarantee bacteria, viruses and oocysts do not survive. It will also eliminate chlorine by steam distillation, and MAY denature some pesticides. It will do nothing as far as heavy metals are concerned.

The cheap way to eliminate heavy metals is to pass the water through fine steel wool. A more expensive solution is activated carbon, or reverse osmosis.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Excel said:

We have the huge 20 litre ones delivered locally, 2 or 3 times a week, 10 baht per bottle. Bottles are sterilised at the plant and re-used. Don't now the life cycle of these bottles but I would guess a few hundred times. I used to boil the water and drink it but stopped when my wife told me I was starting to glow in the dark ????

who does this delivery service?  I drink 6 liters a day alone or more and it does add up paying 50baht per 6 liter bottle at grocery store.

I get the cases delivered too...the manager has them stacked downstairs and I give him 40 bt for a case as I hump it up 4 flights....i prefer glass but the plastic bottles are fine and work good for me to dump a 7-11 electrolyte powder in there and make homemade gatorade..

Protip do NOT drink tap water in laos.....happened years ago and that lesson was well learned that day

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Also, I've heard to never drink from those osmosis water machines, and I haven't, but why is that?

Do you mean the machines on the street or RO water in general?  If the first, it's because they've been tested and found to be contaminated.  Many!  If the second, it's because some say RO removes what your body needs.

I add 1 drop of plain chlorine bleach to 2L tap water which imo is fine to drink in central Bangkok anyway. Any leftover boiled water from the kettle is added to the 10L bottle which also reduces the taste of chlorine.

Buying water in plastic bottles .5l to 6l is just for losers. Can't damage the environment more by trying.

No one please post telling me the perils of drinking chlorine. Thank you.

Edit: used to do the RO but machines were filthy and they'd disappeared from streets anyway.

Edited by kynikoi

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Do you mean the machines on the street or RO water in general?  If the first, it's because they've been tested and found to be contaminated.  Many!  If the second, it's because some say RO removes what your body needs.

Yeah, the one's in the street and/or condo complex's.

But you are saying don't drink the RO water from these delivery services also?  That RO water is not healthy in general?

6 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Also, I've heard to never drink from those osmosis water machines, and I haven't, but why is that?

Because if you  mean the ones placed in random urban areas the maintenance or lack of causes  many to have doubts about the output.

RO filters can rupture which means the purpose of it  lost.

• Like 2

@Jeffr2, I guess it doesn't matter if you are saying RO water, itself, is not healthy to drink.

If that's the case, I won't even research or look into newer studies on the machines.

right now spending a good 3000 baht month on drinking water,  seems like something that I should be able to lessen the expense in some manner.

• Like 1