Thailand sets 300,000 daily jabs as mass vaccination target

webfact

5 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

I've been involved with large scale production of biologics in a past life.  Even with an experienced facility there are almost always hiccups.  Since this is SB's first go with a vaccine, especially one of this type, I'd be surprised and maybe a bit suspicious if they nail it on the first attempt.  I'd suggest that the government Hope For The Best and Plan For The Worst, i.e. plan on almost exclusive use of imported vaccines, but somehow I think they would have trouble understanding the logic of this strategy.

Which raises the question as to why the government didn't go to Thailand's #1 pharma Pfizer to produce AZ.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Which raises the question as to why the government didn't go to Thailand's #1 pharma Pfizer to produce AZ.

eh best not question that too deeply on here whereas a googling exercise may answer your question.

• Like 2

Where are the vaccines ? forget the un approved Russian and Chinese stuff. When are we going to get access to the real vaccines. Great to make 300,000 per day target, but lets get to" walk the walk".

• Like 1

EU is preparing standards for a 'vaccine passport' and it will only allow those folks with Pfizer, AZ or Johnson jabs. People with the Chinese and Russian vaccines will not be accepted for travel into the region. Stay tuned to see HEAPS of fierce complaints by Thais and Chinese when they realize they STILL can't travel abroad after getting "vaccinated". I recon this is gonna blow up pretty big.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, clokwise said:

EU is preparing standards for a 'vaccine passport' and it will only allow those folks with Pfizer, AZ or Johnson jabs. People with the Chinese and Russian vaccines will not be accepted for travel into the region. Stay tuned to see HEAPS of fierce complaints by Thais and Chinese when they realize they STILL can't travel abroad after getting "vaccinated". I recon this is gonna blow up pretty big.

That's assuming of course people actually want to go to the EU 

7 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

a lot of Thai's i have been speaking with recently have very little confidence with the AstraZeneca vaccine due to reports of blood clots and other issues. 

If I have the choice between the Sputnik, Sinovac and AstraZeneca, I will take AZ every time.

If Pfizer is coming to a hospital me soon, I would opt for that.

15 minutes ago, clokwise said:

Greece seems to be allowing the Russian vaccine.  I suspect some other EU countries will, as well.  

How many times have ministers said this and set targets,  its not that long ago that Anutin said they would be vacciating 10 million a Month,.... But same as previous posts.... You can't  vaccinate without vaccine, 

Also why is China donating 500,000 vaccine when you have a budget of 26 billion Baht to purchase vaccine... ????

• Like 1

Has anyone tuned in here been keeping track of how many doses are actually on order, and scheduled deliveries? 

It's nice to set a goal of 300K per day, but that needs to be backed up with ummm, you know, inventory...

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Has anyone tuned in here been keeping track of how many doses are actually on order, and scheduled deliveries? 

It's nice to set a goal of 300K per day, but that needs to be backed up with ummm, you know, inventory...

In a nutshell, what's on order is too little and too late.  

27 minutes ago, newnative said:

In a nutshell, what's on order is too little and too late.  

Yeah, but it would be interesting to quantify it, just so we're not bashing the gub'ment with nothing to back it up.

They may have 100 million doses scheduled for a May-July delivery.  I doubt it, but...

Even at 300K a day, it's almost a year to get 2 jabs each into 70% of the population.  That's a long time for people to go unemployed, especially since it's already been over a year since they shut down international arrivals "for a few weeks" to flatten the curve.

Edited by impulse

The U.S. ordered 200 million doses of the Pfizer last year, with options for an additional 400 Million doses.  150 million have already been received., along with about 125 million Moderna doses.  Many other countries were proactive as well. 

By the end of August not so much should be needed in the U.S., and these companies have increased production very rapidly.  Hopefully that will shake loose some supply for those who came late to the party.  Thailand needs to organize and polish their delivery and administration capabilities, not just order some vaccine. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

unfortunately it's not going to happen

all the shenanigans are here for a reason

at every corner there is a guy trying to have his cut on the cake

I'm afraid you're right.  That will get in the way.  But just delivering the shots on a massive, efficient and consistent scale isn't something they are used to (nor is the West).  Maybe people who sell beer in the stands at sports stadiums with 50,000 people could give them lessons on delivery.

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, anchadian said:

Cabinet approved Bt321 million for 500,000 more doses of the Sinovac vaccine, bringing Thailand’s total order to 2.5 million. The country has also secured 117,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine. #โควิด #โควิด19 #WhatsHappeningInThailand

321 million baht for 500,000 doses means 642 baht or $ 21 a dose. Some enveloppes flying around ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Yeah, but it would be interesting to quantify it, just so we're not bashing the gub'ment with nothing to back it up.

They may have 100 million doses scheduled for a May-July delivery.  I doubt it, but...

Even at 300K a day, it's almost a year to get 2 jabs each into 70% of the population.  That's a long time for people to go unemployed, especially since it's already been over a year since they shut down international arrivals "for a few weeks" to flatten the curve.

I think there is one small shipment of the Chinese vaccine still due and maybe some AZ.  The government seems to be in talks to try to procure some more from various companies and Russia but I don't think anything firm has been announced--for amounts and when they would arrive.   Mostly a waiting game until the local AZ production starts.  

18 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

321 million baht for 500,000 doses means 642 baht or $ 21 a dose. Some enveloppes flying around ?

More like large cardboard boxes.  Hopefully the 321 mil is not just for the vaccine only.  I found these prices interesting:

Pfizer/BioNTech $19.50 per dose for first 100 million doses
Moderna $25-$37 per dose*
AstraZeneca $2.15 (U.S.) in the EU; $3-4 (U.S.) in the UK and U.S.; $5.25 (U.S.) in South Africa
Johnson & Johnson/Janssen  $10 per dose
Sputnik V $10 per dose
Sinovac $60 per dose in China ($29.75 per dose)**
Novavax  $16 in the US
CanSino Biologics price unknown
Bharat Biotech ₹150 or about $2 (U.S.), although that appears to be the low-end of the open-market price in India

https://www.biospace.com/article/comparing-covid-19-vaccines-pfizer-biontech-moderna-astrazeneca-oxford-j-and-j-russia-s-sputnik-v/

* This source says $15 for Moderna:  https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/pfizer-eyes-higher-covid-19-vaccine-prices-after-pandemic-exec-analyst

** This article from February has prices all over the place for the Sinovac, from $5 to $38.  depending on country.  Funny that they mention corruption.  https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1384867/sinovac-jabs-varying-prices-raise-alarm

Edited by Damrongsak

10 hours ago, yankee99 said:

There's already a huge glut of vaccines in the usa. Id like to believe by the end of 21 Thailand should have vaccinated anyone who wants one

I don't know about a glut yet, but maybe soon.  The production numbers are changing very rapidly.

We are sitting on 10 million doses of AstraZeneca, which is not even approved.  And we may get another 50 million soon. 

The United States plans to ship its stockpile of millions of AstraZeneca vaccine doses overseas

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/u-s-share-60-million-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-doses-other-n1265398

They have the Mor Prom thingy on LINE which Thais can already register on.  Supposedly it will be activated on 1 May for booking appointments free vaccination for the first group of Thais from June. The first group comprises those 60s and over and those with 7 medical conditions including diabetes, heart disease and obesity. The first group are supposed to get locally made Astra Zeneca. The second group is 18-59 year olds who should be able to book appointments in August.

It's anyone's guess how well this will work and whether Siam Biosciences will be able to produce enough AZ on time.  No word yet on any policy for getting foreigners vaccinated and private hospitals are still complaining they are being blocked by the government from importing vaccines, as the government wants them to participate in the free vaccination roll-out for Thais.  All sensible countries have included foreign residents in their fee vaccination roll outs without prejudice.  They are smart enough to realise that leaving a group of people unvaccinated is not good for anyone. A friend in Hong Kong got the Pfizer shot free and he isn't a permanent resident.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:11 AM, kennw said:

Where are the vaccines ? forget the un approved Russian and Chinese stuff. When are we going to get access to the real vaccines. Great to make 300,000 per day target, but lets get to" walk the walk".

The county where I live in the U.S. is giving shots at a rate of nearly 600,000 per day adjusted for population size.  We do have an advantage in that we have two national pharmacy chains involved in distribution/administering shots, in addition to the local health department.  They account for 25% of the jabs. 

Perhaps 7-11 could get in on the action. CP Group does have a 15% stake in Sinovac through one of it's companies.

On 4/27/2021 at 12:26 PM, clivebaxter said:

Already moved back to July and no more confirmation it will still be 18 million a month

There were some earlier reports talking about July delivery but yesterday there were newer reports saying they could produce the first doses as early as next month - see link below.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1215303-dms-approves-siam-bioscience’s-astrazeneca-vaccine/

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

Not sure this process will scale?

The full eight steps are:

A person registers at a kiosk-style machine (to reduce contact)
The person’s weight and blood pressure are taken
Screening and background check
Wait to be inoculated
Vaccination, taking 5-7 minutes
Wait under observation for 30 minutes. Doctors and nurses with resuscitation equipment will be on standby in case the injected person suffers serious side effects. All those who receive the vaccine are required to download the Mor Prom app to their smart phones for follow-up checks on the 1st, 7th and 30th day after the first dose, after which they will receive notification of the appointment for the second dose
After the 30-mintutes of observation, nurses will ask about the patients’ condition, offer them advice and a pamphlet about vaccination before they return home
Those who have received the second dose will receive a text message, via the Mor Prom app, confirming the completion of vaccination process

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/eight-step-vaccination-process-worked-out-by-bamrasnaradura-infectious-diseases-institute/

2-600x337.jpg

Edited by mtls2005

10 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Not sure this process will scale?

The full eight steps are:

A person registers at a kiosk-style machine (to reduce contact)
The person’s weight and blood pressure are taken
Screening and background check
Wait to be inoculated
Vaccination, taking 5-7 minutes
Wait under observation for 30 minutes. Doctors and nurses with resuscitation equipment will be on standby in case the injected person suffers serious side effects. All those who receive the vaccine are required to download the Mor Prom app to their smart phones for follow-up checks on the 1st, 7th and 30th day after the first dose, after which they will receive notification of the appointment for the second dose
After the 30-mintutes of observation, nurses will ask about the patients’ condition, offer them advice and a pamphlet about vaccination before they return home
Those who have received the second dose will receive a text message, via the Mor Prom app, confirming the completion of vaccination process

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/eight-step-vaccination-process-worked-out-by-bamrasnaradura-infectious-diseases-institute/

2-600x337.jpg

My steps :

Got a letter in the mail on March 9th explaining how to make an appointment

Logged in on the site and got an appointment for March 11th, first jab and April 16th second jab

Went to the location on march 11th (15 minutes drive) and got my Pfizer jab. 15 minutes oservation

Drove back home and had a nice cup of coffee

Went to the same location, same procedure as above

And again had my coffee, everything fine, no side effects no nothing, free of charge and protected.

How simple and easy life can be in an organised country.