Important Information re COVID coverage for Expats Already in Thailand

Sheryl

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

With insurance when you claim they normally ask what other insurance you have, if for example you have health insurance first they will expect the claim to go through that first, second Covid insurance

That's pretty common I think but if your primary provider will not cover field hospitals, than I assume the secondary one will.  At least that's why I took this second policy, since my primary provider can not give me a straight answer on field hospital coverage at this time.

Edited by WaveHunter

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Serious legal consequences if you refuse to go to  a Field Hospital.

I'd read a bunch of Thais didn't go. Then I'd heard nothing more.

The point is moot Sheryl. Foreigners will never be allowed in them.

I am pleased to read the government is sensible enough to spare the beds but I'm still stuck on stoopid and cannot believe there won't be utmost effort to extract as much money as possible from me.

I'm truly more concerned about being diagnosed of covid and the costs than I am with the influenza itself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I recall a recent credible report of Americans sent to a field hospital as a transfer because they were asymptomatic and they ran out of space where they were originally sent.

I heard that as well on a reputable news channel report last night.  Not sure if it was Americans specifically, but foreigners in general.

Edited by WaveHunter

52 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

Is forcing asymptomatic foreigners into expensive hotels the typical policy in other countries right now?

Of course it's not, I checked my policy last year, it covers any and all "emergency treatment" that's required.

Hospitel / isolation etc is not emergency treatment regardless of what the Thai government says.

So I will do my best to avoid becoming infected but if that fails I guess I'll just pay if the option is available and if in the unlikely event that I do get really ill and it becomes a medical emergency then my insurance will take it from there.

I would purchase a new insurance policy that specifically covers a high standard of isolation accommodation if one becomes available.

The isolation requirement will not continue to be enforced if there is an out of control outbreak, an insurer will know this and factor it into the risk analysis and therefore the price.

Edited by ukrules
  • Haha 1

It's really quite crazy... insurance companies not covering outpatient medical care. My work policy I'd mentioned is 1000b day OP / 3000b in hospital general fees plus the actual illness. Who knows about Diphaya but I bet they'll turn away field hospital claims as well.

1. It's an illness

2. It's a makeshift HOSPITAL!

Just bought wife's family policies. 100k payable on positive covid result supposedly. Company is same as wife's large company. Supposedly been payouts on covid claims.

3 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

I'd read a bunch of Thais didn't go. Then I'd heard nothing more.

The point is moot Sheryl. Foreigners will never be allowed in them.

I am pleased to read the government is sensible enough to spare the beds but I'm still stuck on stoopid and cannot believe there won't be utmost effort to extract as much money as possible from me.

I'm truly more concerned about being diagnosed of covid and the costs than I am with the influenza itself.

I do not believe that is correct that "Foreigners will never be allowed in them (field hospitals)", since I heard a credible news report last night that specifically mentioned that asymptomatic foreigners that tested positive would be sent to field hospitals or hospitelles if bed space was lacking in hospitals.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Please post here what you find out. Thanks!

Dhipaya COVID policy has been bought by many foreigners without work permit,. I wonder if they thought you meant something else? Or else person on the phone did not know what they were talking about.

It was my gf who spoke to her, and as many time my experience, they did not call back. So we will try again tomorow. 

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

That's pretty common I think but if your primary provider will not cover field hospitals, than I assume the secondary one will.  At least that's why I took this second policy, since my primary provider can not give me a straight answer on field hospital coverage at this time.

And my primary provider did answer, in the negative, for Field Hospital so I am in process of getting the KWG policy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Of course it's not, I checked my policy last year, it covers any and all "emergency treatment" that's required.

Hospitel / isolation etc is not emergency treatment regardless of what the Thai government says.

So I will do my best to avoid becoming infected but if that fails I guess I'll just pay if the option is available and if in the unlikely event that I do get really ill and it becomes a medical emergency then my insurance will take it from there.

I would purchase a new insurance policy that specifically covers a high standard of isolation accommodation if one becomes available.

The isolation requirement will not continue to be enforced if there is an out of control outbreak, an insurer will know this and factor it into the risk analysis and therefore the price.

As mentioned in this thread there are several local COVID specific policies that will cover it, even in a Field Hospital. And they are very inexpensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Just bought wife's family policies. 100k payable on positive covid result supposedly. Company is same as wife's large company. Supposedly been payouts on covid claims.

These 100k payouts based on positive test are the best policies, removes the issue of where you are sent and also, since only a positive test needed to claim, you might get the money in time to pay your bill as opposed to needing to pay first and get reimbursed.  However they are no longer being issued.

They do payout, and existing ones will be honored. Just that the companies that issued them decided that issuing more in the current environment did nto make good business sense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

And my primary provider did answer, in the negative, for Field Hospital so I am in process of getting the KWG policy.

What made you select KWG?  They seem to only offer coverage up to 100k whereas Krungthai Panich goes to 200k coverage. 

Edited by WaveHunter

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

KWG goes to 100k for medical costs but also pays out 500 baht a day cash to the insured while in a facility. Premium for that is only 499 baht.

I have excellent overall health insurance that will cover me if in a hospital. So I am only concerned with Field Hospital Hospitel scenario  and as they are limited to asymoptomatic cases and given the natureo f the facilities I can't see them exceeding 100K.

If I did nto also have excellent cover (u to US $1 million) for COVID in hospital then I would definitely go for the policy with the highest medical payout and yes, that is Krungthai.

Just curious what the 500 THB cash per day would apply to...anything you wanted it to, or only to other medically related costs not covered by the 200k coverage (i.e.: prescription, etc)?

Edited by WaveHunter

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Premium for 100k baht medical cover = 850 baht ; for 150k cover = 590 baht and for 200k cover = 850 baht per year. 

Something wrong with the premiums here.

23 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Just curious what the 500 THB cash per day would apply to...anything you wanted it to, or only to other medically related costs not covered by the 200k coverage (i.e.: prescription, etc)?

it is straight cash payout as I understand it, you use it for whatever. To help defray the non-medical costs of being hospitalized AKA confined.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

Is forcing asymptomatic foreigners into expensive hotels the typical policy in other countries right now?

Does that really matter, if your in Thailand you play by their Covid hospitalization rules.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Myself and wife are on the same April policy as you.  Thank you for your help and investigations into this matter for numbskulls like me. And tomorrow I too will ask AA Pattaya about getting KWG policy. Thank you.

So when trying to buy online the final question is:

"Has the person to be insured travelled to or from affected areas of COVID-19 during last 2 weeks?"

You are then informed if 'yes' then the person is not eligible for insurance...

Most of us have travelled in affected areas during the last 2 weeks over here....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I know one teacher, 3 students and 1 parent who all ended up in a field hospital (all foreign, uk mostly). This was from an outbreak at an international school in Phuket. They all went to a government hospital first to evaluate their condition, one had mild (fever) the others all no symptoms, so after 2 days all were sent to the field hospital.

They are all out now. I'm going to call one of the parents tomorrow and see if there was any cost.

Interesting, please post an update when they let you know. I'd also be interested in the circumstances where they were released from the field hospital.

For example, do you need to PCR test negative for all traces of the virus, I heard that could take as long as a month in some cases......

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I know one teacher, 3 students and 1 parent who all ended up in a field hospital (all foreign, uk mostly). This was from an outbreak at an international school in Phuket. They all went to a government hospital first to evaluate their condition, one had mild (fever) the others all no symptoms, so after 2 days all were sent to the field hospital.

They are all out now. I'm going to call one of the parents tomorrow and see if there was any cost.

It could be a good lead, but still this is Thailand and there is not a norm that equal all places.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

These 100k payouts based on positive test are the best policies, removes the issue of where you are sent and also, since only a positive test needed to claim, you might get the money in time to pay your bill as opposed to needing to pay first and get reimbursed.  However they are no longer being issued.

They do payout, and existing ones will be honored. Just that the companies that issued them decided that issuing more in the current environment did nto make good business sense.

Of course, not available to foreigners.

Just purchased 6 polices for wife's immediate family and nieces.

My wife has her office insurance, the supplemental 100k thru work and I bought her a Diphaya policy with mine at b850 each.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Krungthai Panich Insurance

When I visit their website , all I get is travel , motor or household insurance.

I cannot find the details for their Covid related plan .