Important Information re COVID coverage for Expats Already in Thailand

Sheryl

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Did you get confirmation from Rabbit? lots of noise on Facebook saying it's a scam

Yes confirmed look at my post yesterday, I've never seen any scam mentions on facebook about it. If you're worried there's plenty of others on this thread no problem

Edited by Bkk Brian

check out Roojai as well. Bought mine for 420 baht. 300k baht cover. includes medical 100k. treatment 100k and death benefit 100k When going to their web page they had a 1 million baht policy, but after inputting my details, specifically my age, that policy was not available to me, so took the max they offered me which was the 300k. Somethings better than nothing.

Edited by TigerandDog

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

One source is when i put an insurance claim in for travel insurance you have to disclose other insurances. Standard for claims, it's a way for them to avoid payouts. Similar issue with people buying multiple times with same insurer, just says only one allowed, of course they let you buy it but claim time denied

Maybe for travel insurance, but not true for regular health insurance policies.  Married couples working for different employers almost always have different policies which each one can be a member of as a family member same as adding children. Yes you need to disclose the fact of having a different insurance plan to the other company but then they use what's called subrogation where the primary insure pays its portion and the 2nd insurance picks up the rest. In 40 years of making claims I have never had an issue.

Edited by ThailandRyan

As my AXA policy I used to enter Thailand expired, I searched this forum around 3 weeks ago and saw recommendations for the Roojai COVID insurance.

I went to the web site and only 2 plans were available, I selected plan 2 for 850 baht and filled in very simple form. No things like height, weight the other people were writing about.

My credit card was duly charged, but within the last 15 days I have only this email from them:

Thank you for buying with us, your policy information as below.

Reference No. XXXXXX
 Plan
 Plan 2

Period  15 April 2021 to 14 April 2022
 Insured Name  XXXXXXXXXX
 Passport No.  XXXXXXXXXX
 Medical treatment from infections  Coverage up to 100,000 THB .
 Illness with serious conditions or diseases caused by a coronavirus infection  Coverage up to 1,000,000 THB

Your policy is being processed by TipInsure and you will receive it afterwards.

For additional information please contact TipInsure at 1736

There was a link in the email with some minimal policy wording branded with "Dhipaya Insurance".  

Is this what everyone gets? Looks pretty dodgy to me....the only reason I bought this is to cover asymptomatic COVID, otherwise it is poor value for money compared to proper travel insurances covering medical expenses with 300K+ Euro.

Would having both the Roojai and Rabbit policies be redundant?  If Rabbit paid you 200,000 upon diagnosis would Roojai then refuse to pay your claim at the conclusion of treatment?  Or, assuming that your treatment costs were over 200,000, would Roojai then pay the balance of your costs up to a total of 300,000 (200,000 + 100,000?)

10 minutes ago, gearbox said:

As my AXA policy I used to enter Thailand expired, I searched this forum around 3 weeks ago and saw recommendations for the Roojai COVID insurance.

I went to the web site and only 2 plans were available, I selected plan 2 for 850 baht and filled in very simple form. No things like height, weight the other people were writing about.

My credit card was duly charged, but within the last 15 days I have only this email from them:

Thank you for buying with us, your policy information as below.

Reference No. XXXXXX
 Plan
 Plan 2

Period  15 April 2021 to 14 April 2022
 Insured Name  XXXXXXXXXX
 Passport No.  XXXXXXXXXX
 Medical treatment from infections  Coverage up to 100,000 THB .
 Illness with serious conditions or diseases caused by a coronavirus infection  Coverage up to 1,000,000 THB

Your policy is being processed by TipInsure and you will receive it afterwards.

For additional information please contact TipInsure at 1736

There was a link in the email with some minimal policy wording branded with "Dhipaya Insurance".  

Is this what everyone gets? Looks pretty dodgy to me....the only reason I bought this is to cover asymptomatic COVID, otherwise it is poor value for money compared to proper travel insurances covering medical expenses with 300K+ Euro.

Roojai is a broker. They offer COVID policies from Dhipaya and also from Krungthai Panich Insurance Public Company Limited. Though I now see only the Krungthai policy on their website....not sure if that means that they no longer sell the Dhipaya policy or are just highlighting the Krungthai one for some reason.

Both Dhipaya and Krungthai are established insurers.  TipoInsure = Diphaya. Nothing dodgy about it.

There will be more detailed policy wording from the actual insurer (Dhipaya in your case) but it may be all in Thai. And probably not as lengthy and detailed as you would find in an international policy.

Per @Topt post on page 3 of this thread, the Dhipaya policy will cover treatment in Field Hospitals and "hospitels" as well as conventional hospitals.

A Roojai rep with fluent English is on this board so if you have any further concerns re your policy suggest you PM @Roojai

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Would having both the Roojai and Rabbit policies be redundant?  If Rabbit paid you 200,000 upon diagnosis would Roojai then refuse to pay your claim at the conclusion of treatment?  Or, assuming that your treatment costs were over 200,000, would Roojai then pay the balance of your costs up to a total of 300,000 (200,000 + 100,000?)

First of all, both Roojai and Rabbit are brokers. The actual insurers are either Dhipaya or Krungthai Insurance (Roojai) and Southeast Insurance (Rabbit). These same policies can also be obtained from other brokers such as AA.

The policies cover different things. Only the policy he got through Roojai reimburses medical expenses. The other policy is a direct cash payout regardless of treatment received, to help defray whatever expenses the COVID diagnosis created, which for some peopel could extend to lost wages etc.

So no problem to collect on both.

One would not be able to get the same medical expense reimbursed under 2 different policies, of course.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:07 AM, Bkk Brian said:

Yes the straight pay out one, 200,000 is the one I got. Not got the policy yet, comes in 7 - 14 days time.

Rabbit-Finance-Your-order-36851-has-been-confirmed-paulalexphillips-gmail-com-Gmail.png

I just purchased this plan. 

A few questions for you or anyone else in the know...

Subsequent to purchase, the policy takes effect in 14 days, correct?

The policy is effective for 1 year, correct?

Is payment received immediately upon diagnosis?     Or must you undergo hospitalization or some other course of treatment before receiving payment?

3 days ago I went online and purchased 2 policies from Roojai. One for myself and the other for my GF.  The policies arrived today.  Very quick and prompt service.  300k baht coverage with a 100k payout in the event it goes pear-shaped. This is additional insurance to our PCH insurance so it covers the gap the deductible would run of 100k baht.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Hope everyone got what they wanted as it looks like many companies are now beginning to cancel some new policies.

Interesting.  My policy was ordered from Roojai last Thursday and is under written by Krung Thai Panich.  The policies arrived on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Interesting.  My policy was ordered from Roojai last Thursday and is under written by Krung Thai Panich.  The policies arrived on Saturday.

Yea I think all bought for policies are ok, just not selling any new ones?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Same here

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Hope everyone got what they wanted as it looks like many companies are now beginning to cancel some new policies.

these are the money payout policies which have stopped, but i fully expect the insurance companies somehow avoiding paying if the surge in cases gets too high

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

these are the money payout policies which have stopped, but i fully expect the insurance companies somehow avoiding paying if the surge in cases gets too high

Its not only money payout policies, they've also put a stop to some others if you read the full article

Edited by Bkk Brian

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its not only money payout policies, they've also put a stop to some others if you read the full article

Cancel means no longer issuing them, policies already bought remain valid.

and as the article makes clear many insurers still issue COVID policies through the terms have changed. This affects policies going forward not policies already issued.

I would suggest anyone thinking of getting a policy do so soon as there may be further changes both to benefits and premiums.

I think Southeast Insurance pay out COVID policy is still being issued, someone on this thread bought one just a few days ago through Rabbit Finance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Legally they cannot. 

Which is why they keep such a close eye oin things and stop issuing policies, or else revise the level of coverage downward, when they spot a trend towards increased pay outs.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 3:33 PM, Caldera said:

First of all, thanks very much to @Sheryl for this topic. I already had decent health insurance coverage, but the potential field hospital issue sure is something new to think about.

I just signed up with Roojai to plug that gap, and it went through without any issues. Received SMS and email confirmations right away; let's see when the policy documents will arrive by snail mail - so far, so good!

Update, I received the documents in the mail. As it turned out, they sent them by EMS and I was a little late picking them up at my condo's office - they actually arrived less than a week after I had signed up online. Very pleased.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

any back up if any asymptomatic foreigners at hospitels were covered by thai health insurance and those covid specific ones?

there is one thai insurer (not publicly named) which declined to honour their policy claiming, that there were deliberate infections, fraudulent ones. They were taken to court. 

I am asking, because now there would be many travelling expats and with an obligatory testing on entry there would be many positive cases.

To mitigate impact the government is planning to shorten asymptomatic quarantine to 3-4 days, but symptomatic still 10 days.

from richard barrow newsletter:

"the consequences of being a HRC (High Risk Contacts). At the moment, I am told if you test negative but are sitting next to someone who tested positive, you are both taken to hospital for ten days. There is no home quarantine or hotel quarantine. However, they are now working on reducing this to only 3-4 days if you test negative on the second test. On the other hand, the person who tested positive has to stay in hospital for at least ten days."

Edited by internationalism

34 minutes ago, internationalism said:

To mitigate impact the government is planning to shorten asymptomatic quarantine to 3-4 days, but symptomatic still 10 days.

from richard barrow newsletter:

"the consequences of being a HRC (High Risk Contacts). At the moment, I am told if you test negative but are sitting next to someone who tested positive, you are both taken to hospital for ten days. There is no home quarantine or hotel quarantine. However, they are now working on reducing this to only 3-4 days if you test negative on the second test. On the other hand, the person who tested positive has to stay in hospital for at least ten days."

Re-read that, It is not 3-4 days asymotomatic and 10 days symptoamtic.

It is 3-4 days for people who test negative altogether but were in close contact with someone who tested positive. A minimum of 10 days quarantine if test positive, even if asymptomatic.

It is hardly likely that there will be "many" travellers testing positive given that they are required to be fully immunized and have a negative COVID test prior to arrival. Numbers testing positive in the "Sandbox" schemers, which have the same requirement, have been extremely low. For that matter, numbers testing positive in quarantine under the old system (which required a COCID test before travelling but did nto require vaccination) were also very low.

All Thai issued COVID policies cover hospitalization if you test positive regardless of symptoms. A foreign policy may or may not (a lot will depend on how the hospital fills out the forms for the insurance company).

However I doubt that even Thai issued policies would cover quarantine in a COVID negative person who is classed as a "High risk contact".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On testing positive and symptomatic my hospital piyavate informed me, that southeast insurance, which i got 200k policy on testing positive, is bankrupt now. 
However, the regulator of insurance in thailand says otherwise, they have to wait for bankruptcy approval by that body. 
has anybody claimed from them recently?

Is Rabbit Finance, from which i got this policy, responsible for claims in any form?

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/regulator-says-insurer-suffering-massive-loss-over-covid-claims-cannot-close-down-yet/

34 minutes ago, internationalism said:

On testing positive and symptomatic my hospital piyavate informed me, that southeast insurance, which i got 200k policy on testing positive, is bankrupt now. 
However, the regulator of insurance in thailand says otherwise, they have to wait for bankruptcy approval by that body. 
has anybody claimed from them recently?

Is Rabbit Finance, from which i got this policy, responsible for claims in any form?

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/regulator-says-insurer-suffering-massive-loss-over-covid-claims-cannot-close-down-yet/

They are still liable to pay out.

Contact the OIC if they do not  https://www.oic.or.th/en/home

Rabbit as a broker does not I think have any liability but Southeast does

I have contacted the broker who send me off to insurer. 
within a 3 h they have replied with my insurance number (i hadnt got that one before), required documents and claim form. 

however, right now they have started to play games. 

Southeast send me line. They want me to cancel my covid policy

"ลงทะเบียนรับสิทธิ์คืนเบี้ยโควิดเต็มจำนวน เลขกรมธรรม์ (deleted policy number) ของคุณ (Deleted Name) ภายใน7ก.พ.ที่ https://rrj.nu/xxx (deleted link which might be personalised)"

After i read this message, they have deleted it from Line chat. Cant find it. But link goes to their website https://se-digital-aws.seic.co.th/CovidCare/

I have asked for help from a nurse who processes claims at hospital, hope for a good outcome

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 12:29 PM, internationalism said:

I have contacted the broker who send me off to insurer. 
within a 3 h they have replied with my insurance number (i hadnt got that one before), required documents and claim form. 

however, right now they have started to play games. 

Southeast send me line. They want me to cancel my covid policy

"ลงทะเบียนรับสิทธิ์คืนเบี้ยโควิดเต็มจำนวน เลขกรมธรรม์ (deleted policy number) ของคุณ (Deleted Name) ภายใน7ก.พ.ที่ https://rrj.nu/xxx (deleted link which might be personalised)"

After i read this message, they have deleted it from Line chat. Cant find it. But link goes to their website https://se-digital-aws.seic.co.th/CovidCare/

I have asked for help from a nurse who processes claims at hospital, hope for a good outcome

It is possible they are sending this message out to all their policy holders and it is nto specific to you and the fact that you have a claim. (Indeed, hard to imagine that anyone with a pending claim would be so foolish as to apply for a refund of their premium!).

As I said before, any problems getting paid - complain to OIC. Find out what it says in the policy document about how long between filing and payment and the second it goes a day over that, make a complaint.

yes, I have read that some others have also received sms about cancelling their policies. So not specific to me, just coincidence.

According to my friend nurse who is dealing with insurance claims at hospital, insurer has 15-30 days to process claim. She couldn't find exactly about my policy. 

I have asked for full wording of my insurance to my broker and insurer, but no reply for many days.

However, I have received confirmation sms from southeast that they have received my claim and apologising for delay 

Edited by internationalism

On 4/27/2021 at 1:50 PM, blackcab said:

I wonder what is going to happen when an asymptomatic non-Thai citizen cannot afford to pay the bill when they are charged for a field hospital/hospitel stay.

They might have travel or health insurance, but many won't pay.

They might have purchased covid insurance while in Thailand, but some of those won't pay either.

How on earth are tourists expected to travel to Thailand in these circumstances?

This kind of things make me stay in a semi private condo quarantaine by myself alone ... going Lotus or Big C shopping once a week on morning opening times , and limiting my going out only if necessary , like to immigration ... to avoid a non asymptomatic occasional infection risk & be tested 

As i shall leave Thailand after 13 years in a few month's time .., not giving them a slightest chance to make a Covid scam  profit on me  out of Covid , same as insurance tread's start looking like marketing for them ????

Indeed this is a correct reply :

"How on earth are tourists expected to travel to Thailand in these circumstances? "  ???? 

(even more for expats...to keep staying Thailand , as a new Thai Hospitel economy seems to be born )

Edited by david555