Important Information re COVID coverage for Expats Already in Thailand

Sheryl

30 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Thank you for your detailed follow up, it is much appreciated. The only point I would make is that international school teachers do not pay Social Fund contributions.

In the context of this discussion that is positive, as a non-contributor to the Social Fund was treated for free.

Your welcome. On the Social Fund point, I understand that most international schools offer private insurance but individual teachers can pay the Social Fund if they wish, at least thats the situation at this one. I know because one of my daughters in the Uk had been interested at one time to come over and teach and this was the option given to her.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Serious legal consequences if you refuse to go to  a Field Hospital.

Potentially yes, but it doesn't seem to have been the case for a number of supposedly "hi-so" Thais  (including some highly-placed officials) who have been reported as simply self-isolating after a positive test. The article I saw that talked about this said that:

"The ministry is considering taking legal action against those who have refused to follow ministry regulations.”

74 Covid patients who refused to go to field hospitals may face prosecution

As yet I haven't seen any reports where they've gone beyond considering it, and actually taken any action.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Thanks for that, maybe you could provide the actual reference to Thai Law and the insurance companies take on it. 

I do note that you only say "they could just refuse to pay because you are not living/residing in Thailand, but just visiting, according to Thai law" and don't claim it to be a definitive answer.

Have a look at for example the Immigration Act, but other laws use nearly the same wordings.

The official wording in Thai laws for somebody on a temporary permit to stay, for example tourist, or non-immigrant visa/extension:

คนต่างด้าวซึ่งจะเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักรเป็นการชั่วคราว

Word by word translation: Alien who entered the Kingdom temporarily

Short translation: Visitor

Official wording in Thai laws for somebody with permanent residency status:

คนต่างด้าวซึ่งเข้ามามีถิ่นที่อยู่ในราชอาณาจักรโดยชอบ

Word by word translation: Alien who took up residence in the Kingdom for good

Short translation: Resident

Of course what I wrote is no definitive answer, it depends on the insurance company, maybe one just pays out, another might refuse to pay.

I merely pointed out that the wording in the fine print is not really clear, and based on this wording they could refuse a payout if you don't have permanent residency or a work permit.

Thus if I were to sign up for such a policy, I would contact the insurance company and have them make a clear statement if they are going to pay out even though I'm not a permanent resident.

Edited by jackdd

While I would be prepared to pay upfront for a so called Hospitel, I certainly would drag my feet to pay for the privilege of staying in one of their prison camps. I just wonder how they could coerce someone who ls imprisoned anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That varies greatly according ti a host of individual factors. I recommend you go through a broker, they will help you chose a policy as well as help with claims afterwards if needed.

I use AA brokers   www.aainsure.net

Thank you Sheryl ????

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I've heard comment before (from farang) who e.mailed to roojai asking for very specific answers to some of the items in their Covid 19 policy.

It was mentioned that roojai had answered with little delay with very clear and specific answers.

I compare this with my Thai son checking around several years ago for private full health insurance (before Covid) for himself, his Thai wife and 3 daughters. He got good answers for some of his questions and eventually took policies with Tokio Marine Health Insurance.

He got answers like the following from some companies, one a very well known 3 letter company (AIx????

- 'Customers not allowed to ask further questions, not polite.'

- 'No need to ask questions, just read the brochure.'

- An answer which was ambiguos and off the subject and just raised more questions.

But companies incl Roojai will get fed up with questions that can be answered by looking at the policy doc, quite a few questions like that on this thread, they only have so much time to waste. Same with people constantly ringing and emailing

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I've heard comment before (from farang) who e.mailed to roojai asking for very specific answers to some of the items in their Covid 19 policy.

It was mentioned that roojai had answered with little delay with very clear and specific answers.

I compare this with my Thai son checking around several years ago for private full health insurance (before Covid) for himself, his Thai wife and 3 daughters. He got good answers for some of his questions and eventually took policies with Tokio Marine Health Insurance.

He got answers like the following from some companies, one a very well known 3 letter company (AIx????

- 'Customers not allowed to ask further questions, not polite.'

- 'No need to ask questions, just read the brochure.'

- An answer which was ambiguos and off the subject and just raised more questions.

Insurance companies here can be really entertaining. Tried once to get a household insurance and asked for the conditions in the process. I was told I would not get any but they suggested I pay according to their offer (without conditions). Arranged through a very well known broker. ???? I invested in better surveillance instead.

I will try again with Roojai - seems that was really a misunderstanding / mistake on their website.

Field hospitals just look like accomodation. UK set up similar centres but they were barely used because they couldn't equip them or get the medical staff because treatment varied a lot, so would be interesting to hear how severe the cases are going there, if minor symptoms then cost should be low......

5 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

The virus will arrive at your village by autumn,  probably less than 6 months. Compare the spread from NYC (spring 2020) to North Dakota (autumn 2020). B.117 spreads faster. 

Vaccination will ride to the rescue in form of Bioscience, anything faster cannot be allowed. It will arrive at your village not much after the virus has rampaged through it.

Re-read my post 1 year from now.  

I don't even catch influenza, my body is too complicated for covid and at 73 why worry; I won't miss much.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, of course, that wa snever in doubt. the issue is the "Fueld Hospitals" and "hospitels"

But if you are wanting to be covered for care in a actual hospital, costs would well exceed what KWG pays (for me not an issue as I have other insurance). You should get the highest level medical cover you can as cost will be 200-300k in an actual hospital without major complications/ICU care and sky pretty much the limit if you end up in an ICU. Or better yet get a general health policy, as COVID is not all you need to worry about in terms of hospitalization costs.

Yes I said hospitels. I have the same April cover that you have for real insurance. Applied at AA Pattaya today - policy within 2 weeks.  AA will make a plastic card for you with the relevant details, phone numbers etc. Had to go to the office as the application is only in Thai.

17 minutes ago, lexilis said:

This is maybe a long shot but does anyone know if Thai Social Security would pay for the field hospitals/ Hospitels?

I believe yes for Field Hospitals. Thais aren't paying anything and many of them come under SS especially the younger ones.

Recent post in this thread reports people with SS (foreigners) sent to field Hospital not having to pay anything.

For "hospitels" I have no idea, maybe not as I think these are basically an upscale/"luxury" alternative for those able to afford it.

16 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I don't even catch influenza, my body is too complicated for covid and at 73 why worry; I won't miss much.

It's not that anyone is worried about you dying but that you may pass on the Covis to someone else

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 11:34 AM, Sheryl said:

Krungthai Panich Insurance  - available through broker Roojai and possibly other brokers (not sure on that point)   https://www.roojai.com/en/covid/  Premium for 100k baht medical cover = 850 baht ; for 150k cover = 590 baht and for 200k cover = 420 baht per year. In this thread, broker Roojai confirms these policies will cover admission to a Field Hospital or hospitel:   https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1159632-did-anyone-get-the-roojai-covid-insurance/

????

I followed this link https://www.roojai.com/en/covid/ for Krungthai Panich Insurance over Roojai to apply and I got as far as the first page where you have to input height and weight - in my case 184 cm and 120 kg.

And this is what I got:

Not accepted.pdf

So my BMI alone did not qualify me. And this is the very laughable least of "preconditions" I have.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

no idea, you had best ask them. And please post what you find out. Are you referring to a COVID-only policy or a general health policy?

This was the reply. "If you were to fall ill from Covid-19,  and end up admitted to a field hospital connected to a hospital within our network, that hospital will contact us and direct billing can be arranged in normal circumstances. However, in the case where the field hospital is not within our hospital network, then the arrangement may have to be on a pay and claim basis. 

I understand their network of hospitals, but isnt the field hospital's a addition directly from the Government and where do that fit into their network is unclear for me.????

Felt

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I believe yes for Field Hospitals. Thais aren't paying anything and many of them come under SS especially the younger ones.

Recent post in this thread reports people with SS (foreigners) sent to field Hospital not having to pay anything.

For "hospitels" I have no idea, maybe not as I think these are basically an upscale/"luxury" alternative for those able to afford it.

Thanks Sheryl. I am relying on my Thai SS for any serious issues. But apparently the consensus here is that we should all get one of these cheap COVID policies to cover the cost of the "hospitels" (versus the "field hospitals") if we are tested positive while asymptomatic. All these pages of comments have just confused me. I know you are very informed on these matters. Can you recommend one in particular?