Important Information re COVID coverage for Expats Already in Thailand

Sheryl

1 hour ago, GMajor said:

I was offered the first 3 plans only, can not pick none above "Caring".

I guess that turning 70 next week got something to do with the restricted offer... ????

It's not restricted. You have to slide the little bar below it to show the higher plans

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, moogradod said:

And therefore you have an BMI of 36.6. This region is called Adipositas II. Same level as I have.

You speak of Adipositas starting with a BMI of 30 - and this is regarded as a disease that needs treatment.

I suspect that this is the threashold that Rojai has. And therefore you will not be accepted just like me.

I suspect further that any more severe precondition (such as diabetes, cancer etc.) could lead to discussions if it comes to a really high claim (lets say 1 Mio THB) for which the level of treatment necessary could be regarded as dependend on those preconditions although you are not asked for them when applying, but this is just a thought and of course I cannot be sure about that. This should be clearly stated in the conditions. If it is then no problem.

It has akready been clarifird by Roojai that just a software glutch which they are working on.

High claims don't enter into it as the maximum medical cover is just 100-200k in these COVID policies. Which is definitely not adequate for hospitalization with severe COVID. For that you need a regular health insurance policy. 

The advantage of these policies is to plug the coverage gap for treatment of asymptomatic COVID.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It has akready been clarifird by Roojai that just a software glutch which they are working on.

High claims don't enter into it as the maximum medical cover is just 100-200k in these COVID policies. Which is definitely not adequate for hospitalization with severe COVID. For that you need a regular health insurance policy. 

The advantage of these policies is to plug the coverage gap for treatment of asymptomatic COVID.

Thank you Sheryl. This sounds good. So I will try again once the software has been corrected - whenever that is.

The 1 Mio came to mind since the insurance pays that sum at least when you die as far as I remember. I think I saw that when I ordered the insurances for my wife and my daughter. You need to name a beneficiary for this case. The 1 Mio is as well listed on their webpage as the maximum sum in case of a terminal illness resulting from Covid, at least in the insurance plan "protect" for THB 850.-- per year.

19 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thank you Sheryl. This sounds good. So I will try again once the software has been corrected - whenever that is.

you just need to scroll to the right with an arrow key on your keyboard

or drag with mouse

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

you just need to scroll to the right with an arrow key on your keyboard

or drag with mouse

And then it will accept my input of height 184cm and weight 120 kg ? - This is what I expect the corrected software to do.

Some other member had a problem displaying the best insurance plans - maybe you are referring to this problem ?

47 minutes ago, moogradod said:

The 1 Mio came to mind since the insurance pays that sum at least when you die as far as I remember. I think I saw that when I ordered the insurances for my wife and my daughter. You need to name a beneficiary for this case. The 1 Mio is as well listed on their webpage as the maximum sum in case of a terminal illness resulting from Covid, at least in the insurance plan "protect" for THB 850.-- per year.

Here is all the info for roojai.  Just scroll all the way down the web page and you will see what each plan covers and the payout if you become brown bread..

Buy Coronavirus (COVID-19) insurance online! | Roojai.com insurance

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here is all the info for roojai.  Just scroll all the way down the web page and you will see what each plan covers and the payout if you become brown bread..

Buy Coronavirus (COVID-19) insurance online! | Roojai.com insurance

Thank you for your goodwill ThailandRyan, but I know the benefits too well. Bought two policies for my wife and daughter.

The problem I (and others) have is that I do not get accepted with my BMI resulting from 184cm and 120 kg.

Furthermore I stand to my claim that some conditions on this very website as it is now on 29.04.2021 - 19:39 concerning preconditions (if asked for in the application process or not) are at least very unfortunately formulated to put it politely. But I am tired to point out where exactly. Just read the conditions resp. the website very carefully.

Edited by moogradod

1 hour ago, smedly said:

what ?

I mean what you have discovered is one of the confusing and partially contradictory statements on the website that I am always taking about in connection with preconditions. There are others as well. Just read the conditions and the other statements on the website very carefully, paying special attention if the term "preconditions" or similar pops up. If then everything is entirely clear to you - feel free to consider yourself happy.

As @Roojai has explained several times here, there are glitches in that wording meant for cancer policies/other policies still crops up.

As  stated on the website the only prohibited precondition is already having COVID.  That s the only "prohibited condition" for this policy.  But Rojai sells many other products that have different ones hence the generic reference to "prohibted conditions" .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As @Roojai has explained several times here, there are glitches in that wording meant for cancer policies/other policies still crops up.

As  stated on the website the only prohibited precondition is already having COVID.  That s the only "prohibited condition" for this policy.  But Rojai sells many other products that have different ones hence the generic reference to "prohibted conditions" .

Thanks for this thread, its because of this I bought some covid insurance today, actually two of them! One from Roojai and one from Rabbit Finance, now feel fully covered.

Thanks for mentioning that, I was not aware of Rabbit Finance (who seem to be brokers not insurers?)

This is their webpage  https://rabbit.finance/expats-covid-center/

It appears that they offer a plan from South East Insurance that is a straight pay out based on diagnosis. Very interesting. Is that what you got? Can you share the policy wording?

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks for mentioning that, I was not aware of Rabbit Finance (who seem to be brokers not insurers?)

This is their webpage  https://rabbit.finance/expats-covid-center/

It appears that they offer a plan from South East Insurance that is a straight pay out based on diagnosis. Very interesting. Is that what you got? Can you share the policy wording?

Yes the straight pay out one, 200,000 is the one I got. Not got the policy yet, comes in 7 - 14 days time.

Rabbit-Finance-Your-order-36851-has-been-confirmed-paulalexphillips-gmail-com-Gmail.png

On 4/28/2021 at 8:19 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Have made an inquiry and I am waiting to hear back.  Originally, the policies covered covid for you, if you tested positive and were put in a hospital. Not sure if there is a new rider attached saying only hospitals and not field hospitals.

I asked them myself and maybe you already have seen their reply to me which I posted here in a quote to Sheryl yesterday. I dont know what their reply to you was but I dont feel confident with the reply they sent me but maybe you know what hospital network have to do with field hospitals? Isnt the field hospitals just opened directly from the Government due to congested hospitals so how can field hospitals be in a network?

Felt

Dhipaya does not seem to have an English page.  If possible, I would like to buy the 200,000 policy online but I don't understand what to do with the QR code that Dhipaya displays. Has somebody who has bought Dhipaya Insurance give me some pointers?

Immigration requires 500,000 bht coverage for foreigners to get in the country. None of this discussion has mentioned that, and all the discussion mentioned plans below that amount. I found Rabbit Insurance has some very cheap options that meet this requirement, and up to 1,000,000 bht.

It is unclear if living expats need to meet the 500,000 bht requirement to re-enter Thailand, but worth checking.  And for those working in Thailand with Social Security coverage will that cover the Immigration requirement? Does anyone know?

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thanks for this thread, its because of this I bought some covid insurance today, actually two of them! One from Roojai and one from Rabbit Finance, now feel fully covered.

you know having 2 insurers may cause issues in any claim, similar to if you had 2 car insurance policies

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

you know having 2 insurers may cause issues in any claim, similar to if you had 2 car insurance policies

Health insurance is nothing like car insurance.

I've also got the normal private health insurance, I somehow doubt there will be issues but then I hope not to get the virus and find out. Besides which the separate ones I bought for covid provide 2 very separate payout clauses. One is for the cost of care, the other is a lump payment on diagnosis of covid and does not cover any care.

I don't but I hear its also perfectly fine to have multiple life insurances policies.

Edited by Bkk Brian

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not sure where you heard this gem of a falsehood.  Overlapping insurance for health is very common when one has a deductible that will be covered by the other policy or even when you have a policy that has exclusions for pre-existing medical issues, but the other policy will cover those conditions, ergo my US based policy that will pick up the majority of the claim that my PCH policy will not because it excludes my endocrinology treatments, and my prior job related surgeries on certain body parts.  I file my claims with PCH and then submit what was not covered back to the other policy where they pick up the remainder.

• Like 1

Could not apply via Roojai online if over 80 years old because software glitch, but called Roojai and applied by phone OK.  They will fix their glitch someday they said.

8 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Dhipaya does not seem to have an English page.  If possible, I would like to buy the 200,000 policy online but I don't understand what to do with the QR code that Dhipaya displays. Has somebody who has bought Dhipaya Insurance give me some pointers?

I bought mine from AA Insure. They mailed me a copy of the application form which I filled in, scanned and sent back to them.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not sure where you heard this gem of a falsehood.  Overlapping insurance for health is very common when one has a deductible that will be covered by the other policy or even when you have a policy that has exclusions for pre-existing medical issues, but the other policy will cover those conditions, ergo my US based policy that will pick up the majority of the claim that my PCH policy will not because it excludes my endocrinology treatments, and my prior job related surgeries on certain body parts.  I file my claims with PCH and then submit what was not covered back to the other policy where they pick up the remainder.

Correct. I had a large hospital claim due to an accident a few years back. My international insurer picked up all but the $500 deducdtible; the Thai PA insurance paid the deductible. The US insurance paid all the outpatient follow up for 30 days afetr discharge, the Thai PA policy paid for outpatient visits after the 30 day period.

Took quite an effort to get the Thai company to understand the situation re the deductible, though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Immigration requires 500,000 bht coverage for foreigners to get in the country. None of this discussion has mentioned that, and all the discussion mentioned plans below that amount. I found Rabbit Insurance has some very cheap options that meet this requirement, and up to 1,000,000 bht.

It is unclear if living expats need to meet the 500,000 bht requirement to re-enter Thailand, but worth checking.  And for those working in Thailand with Social Security coverage will that cover the Immigration requirement? Does anyone know?

the requirement to enter Thailand is US$100,000 COVID cover, not 500,000 baht.

It applies to everyone whether entering on a new visa or a re-entry permit.

The policies being discussed in thsi thread are nto for that purpose, as there have already been many threads discussing the entry requirement in the Visa forum. This thread concerns people already in Thailand who want ot plug the potential hole in their insurance cover due to Thai policy of admitting all asymptomatic cases to Field Hospitals and "Hospitels". (Use to be in hospitals and likely will be again if bed space frees up...which in turn won't be very soon but will happen eventualy)

I received confirmation that KWG policy will cover what they refer to as "medical costs associated with admission to a hospitel". Not sure how hospitel costs are broken out and which of them would be considered medical, though

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It's not testricted. You have to slide the little bar below it to show the higher plans

Actually, Roojai is having intermittent issues with their website (according to them) which makes that slider bar invisible.  They are working on resolving it.  Calling them to book a policy by phone is almost as easy as doing it online.  I had the same problem, and it only took a few minutes by phone to et the policy set up, paid for, and activated.  Roojai's phone reps are excellent.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One source is when i put an insurance claim in for travel insurance you have to disclose other insurances. Standard for claims, it's a way for them to avoid payouts. Similar issue with people buying multiple times with same insurer, just says only one allowed, of course they let you buy it but claim time denied

Edited by scubascuba3

Most insurers will want to know if you have other insurance, if not at time of application then at time of claim. This does not mean it is a problem to have more than one policy. Just that the insurers will collaborate to insure no duplication of benefits.

Rules against holding more than one policy (of same type) with same insurer has nothing to do with having more than one policy from different insurers.

it is quite common to hold more than one health insurance policy in order to avoid caps in cover.

16 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did you get confirmation from Rabbit? lots of noise on Facebook saying it's a scam