BMA recommendation how to dispose used face masks

webfact

176271765_10157979896612050_6725954085998890601_n.jpg

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will deploy another 1,000 biohazard garbage bins across the city after used masks and other medical waste generated by the new wave COVID-19 wave increased to 20 tonnes per day.

According to Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang, the bins for used face masks will be coloured in orange while the garbage bags for medical waste are red to indicate it needs to be disposed of properly.

These bins will be placed at district offices, health service centres, hospitals, city halls, schools, sport centres, youth centres, fire stations, public parks, markets and in front of shopping malls.

nnt.jpg

Normally you can't find normal bins for your waste.. so now they have orange ones for masks??? So if I come home I have to put my mask in a plastic bag, seal it, and drive around with another mask on to find a bin to put it in.. than I come home put my mask in a plastic bag... etc  So it will be day task

"Say No to plastic" campaign has really outdone itself with COVID.

No plastic straws, no plastic bags, no plastic wrappers, no plastic spoons, ... but each plastic mask individually wrapped into a plastic ziplock before disposed into a plastic bin. Is at least the ink to write "used face masks" on it bio-degradable?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Normally you can't find normal bins for your waste.. so now they have orange ones for masks??? So if I come home I have to put my mask in a plastic bag, seal it, and drive around with another mask on to find a bin to put it in.. than I come home put my mask in a plastic bag... etc  So it will be day task

I have clear plastic bin bags with tie handles (Tesco ) and put old masks within. When reasonably full, I dispose of the bag. No need to do it daily. Old masks should be rendered unusable by cutting in half and/or tearing off the straps. As the bags are clear, it is obvious what they contain so I dont see any point in putting a label on.

Edited by potless