Diesel B7 or B10 and a petrol question

Have just bought an old diesel ute. I think it's 2003 or so but I won't get the green book for a few weeks... I know it's a Ford. Down at the local PTT I pulled up at the diesel pump with no numbers, just diesel written on it. The attendant asked if I wanted B10 or B7. I said I dunno, what should I get. He said B10 is new, B7 would be better, I guess he noticed the aging (gracefully) nature of my vehicle (or me?) so I had to reverse to the B7 pump.

I asked in the village and one lady said B7. Asked the sister in law's husband (what's that make him, brother in law?) he said my ute was pump and could drink either B7 or B10 but a new ute was electric and could only use B10. Just occured to me that maybe he was talking about the fuel pump?

I guess B stands for Bio diesel, 7 or 10% blend? But the percentages are so close what does it matter? And if it's Bio is it possible to buy just diesel without the bio? I said to bro in law that I'd use whatever was cheapest. He seemed to agree...

Now a petrol question; is 95 still "pure" petrol or does all petrol here have methanol? 91 is E10 I believe but not marked as such. I've seen E20 and E85 on the price board at PTT but what vehicles use that?

• Like 1

Very very few 100% diesel - if any - left

B7 is what you need

Very very few 100% gasoline - if any left

all are 10% ethanol minimum

Many still subscribe to the "Gasahol is bad" view - most likely because their info dates back to the 70's or 80's. They need to buy a current calendar

I have never had any issue - left my HD for almost 7 years with gasahol - no residue, no gum, no varnish. Install battery, fresh fuel, and go

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Haven't seen the B10

It's in the pumps marked "diesel" and is cheaper.

Only one B10 pump at our local PTT as yet.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SiamRead said:

What is B20 at Bangchak which is about 3 baht cheaper than B10 ?

It's 20% vegetable oil, do verify that your vehicle can use it, many cannot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Funny you say that.

The man who takes away the used cooking oil from our restaurant filters it and mixes it 50-50 with pump diesel. His old (ok, ancient) indirect-injection Nissan pickup runs just fine on it, as do the local farmers Kubota iron-buffaloes.

And yes, the exhausts smell of fried fish ???? 

Doable.

I know a guy in Belgium. He adapted a very old Mercedes Diesel and his car is only running on used oil he is collecting from the local French fries shows (and there are lots of them).

His car runs fine and smells like (I want some French fries too).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

(and there are lots of them)

Had a couple of years in Tervuren when working for Vix at Zavantem. Small place, multiple frites outlets ???? 

• Like 1

some pratical experience:

i have a ford ranger from 2000. have used normal, b20, b10 and b7 diesel. Bought this car new 21 years ago... Still running ok. Started with b20 maybe 6 to 8 months ago. Did 3 or 4 full tanks. Then our local pump stopped selling it. switched to b10 ever since.

but.... I have also used it in my old tractor (b20 and b10) and had to replace all the diesel rubber lines because it solved the rubber and blocked the lines. Not sure about the ford. maybe all the lines are steel. Use the car daily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwithl said:

I've seen E20 and E85 on the price board at PTT but what vehicles use that?

The majority of cars from about the last ten years can use E20 (shown on the filler cap).

E85 needs a "flexfuel" specified car. More and more seen in the last few years.

Pure petrol has become rare, only at major PTTs and at Susco.

Light yellow plate at PTT.

Easy to spot with prices currently more than 34 Baht, way more than all other fuels at PTT and Susco. Shell manages to display similar prices for ethanol fuel with magic additives.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The majority of cars from about the last ten years can use E20 (shown on the filler cap).

E85 needs a "flexfuel" specified car. More and more seen in the last few years.

Pure petrol has become rare, only at major PTTs and at Susco.

Light yellow plate at PTT.

Easy to spot with prices currently more than 34 Baht, way more than all other fuels at PTT and Susco. Shell manages to display similar prices for ethanol fuel with magic additives.

Shell manages to display similar prices for ethanol fuel with magic additives.

I use that in my Ranger Diesel. I don't care, as long it comes from Shell (heavily invested).

it goes so quick, from BKK to Udon in 4 hours.

1 minute ago, AlfHuy said:

it goes so quick, from BKK to Udon in 4 hours.

Wow, 560 km in 4 hours in a Diesel truck on Thai roads.

That's magic. Must be the flying ranger. ????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wow, 560 km in 4 hours in a Diesel truck on Thai roads.

That's magic. Must be the flying ranger. ????

No, the special petrol I put in my diesel truck.

Shell and fly...

• Confused 1

Thanks tracker. Mine's a Ranger too. Sounds like whatever diesel is available or cheapest will be good to go.

Good suggestion about new fuel filter from someone. Due for oil change so new oil filter. Hell, I might treat it to a new air filter while I'm at it.

Gearbox oil, diff oil... Sounding like work now...

Grease nipples anywhere? Wheel bearings... (Stop now. It's just a cheap old ute...)

I will get under and check fuel lines one day, if it stops raining for a day or 2.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 2:32 AM, Kiwithl said:

I guess B stands for Bio diesel, 7 or 10% blend? But the percentages are so close what does it matter?

You say that, but look at it like this - B10 has 43% more palm oil or whatever it is  in it than B7.  (10/7)

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

You say that, but look at it like this - B10 has 43% more palm oil or whatever it is  in it than B7.  (10/7)

This is true, but then only of the proportion of the additive. As part of the whole, 3% difference.

B7 is 7% of the whole, B10 is 10% of the whole. For every litre, 70c.c. for B7, 100cc for B10 is used  French Fry (we call them chips, by the by)oil. Difference is 30cc. So for 1 litre B7, 930cc of diesel for B10, 900cc of diesel.

aren't percentages wonderful.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, canthai55 said:

Very very few 100% diesel - if any - left

B7 is what you need

Very very few 100% gasoline - if any left

all are 10% ethanol minimum

Many still subscribe to the "Gasahol is bad" view - most likely because their info dates back to the 70's or 80's. They need to buy a current calendar

I have never had any issue - left my HD for almost 7 years with gasahol - no residue, no gum, no varnish. Install battery, fresh fuel, and go

I'm guessing you don't run any 2 cycle engines, ie marine engines.  My little outboard motor here will simply NOT start on anything with ethanol in it if it sits for more than a couple weeks.  95 octane pure benzene?  Sits for months and starts right up.

• Like 1

Ran outboards - Evinrude, Johnson, Mercury - for years on the Yukon river.

Ran gasahol since it appeared. Engines sat thru freezeup, all winter, breakup.

Install on transom, connect fuel tank, go

On 5/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, tracker said:

some pratical experience:

i have a ford ranger from 2000. have used normal, b20, b10 and b7 diesel. Bought this car new 21 years ago... Still running ok. Started with b20 maybe 6 to 8 months ago. Did 3 or 4 full tanks. Then our local pump stopped selling it. switched to b10 ever since.

but.... I have also used it in my old tractor (b20 and b10) and had to replace all the diesel rubber lines because it solved the rubber and blocked the lines. Not sure about the ford. maybe all the lines are steel. Use the car daily.

Older Fords should stick to B7. There was a spreadsheet on an earlier thread about these diesel variants that listed most of the popular diesel vehicles and their different engines. It's a pretty safe bet if your vehicle is more than 12 or 15 years old, use B7 (or equivalent).

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Ran outboards - Evinrude, Johnson, Mercury - for years on the Yukon river.

Ran gasahol since it appeared. Engines sat thru freezeup, all winter, breakup.

Install on transom, connect fuel tank, go

Ran Cat, M.A.N., GM and Toyota diesels and Kenworth's with Eaton automatic transmissions running for several winter months in Qinghai province, China... after keeping a fire lit under sumps and oil pans to stop the non winter-grade diesel turning to wax and keep the AT fluid warm. If the fire went out overnight, forget about getting that one started until the afternoon. Leaving GM and Toyota engines idling overnight for a few months kept the mechanics busy with the rebuilds.

On another project we had Yanmar diesel outboards. Kept those (and their tanks) in a heated shed overnight rather than on the transom in the boat dock.

The most fun was the Lycoming radials on the imported airboats. When the sound of one of those was heard passing down the Yellow River, it was fun to watch all the locals all staring skywards.