Virologist warns spread of South African COVID-19 variant from Malaysia possible via natural border

webfact

21 minutes ago, huangnon said:

The "variant" theory is an easy scapegoat for vaccine injury and death also.

However new variants are not theories they are facts. However they're an easy target for anti vaxxers.

Edited by Bkk Brian

Now fighting more than the insurgency in the South it seems.  Good luck, batten down the hatches folks.  This government fubared royally when they did not roll out the vaccines sooner or get on board with Covax.  Stay safe and eat Pad Krapao as 50% of the Thai's believe it can defeat Covid, much like a lucky amulet or picking a winning lottery number can occur when you put powder on a tree and rub it at the temple.

13 minutes ago, huangnon said:

The "variant" theory is an easy scapegoat for vaccine injury and death also.

You seem confused.  There is no variant theory!!! it is a genomic fact after testing of the infection and virus presented by someone who has Covid. It is not a conspiracy either and yes the virus has been isolated and proven.  Do you need some literature to read.  If so let your fingers do the walking and search this forum as well as the web and stay away for the sites that are true conspiracy pages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Please enlighten me in this road to recovery. Just how many Chinese died down this road? How many were put down because they had the virus and how many die from the virus? We will never know because they lie. So please don't talk about other countries botching things up as this is a new as very dangerous virus. Show some respect to the dead.

You can do the research just as well as I can.  Like pretty much every other country, the numbers are not 100% accurate.  But, they did an excellent job of containing the virus.  Way fewer deaths than in Western countries.  And...they are back up and doing fine, unlike many other countries.

So you are saying the US did not botch things up?  With coming up on 600k dead?  Come on....

I show respect for the dead.  Covid deniers do not.

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"China is doing great now.  Borders are closed, and the virus is in check."

That's what Thailand's PM and Deputy PM said a few weeks ago "It's all under control"! 

I hear ya.  And agree!  But facts are facts.  China is open and the economy is growing.  Should be an example of how to battle this enemy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

This is indeed worrying as the Thai authorities have proven themselves to be completely unable/unwilling to control the borders and both the Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines are much less effective against the South Africa strain.

With Denmark completely banning Astra, the EU now sueing them over the supply, many countries putting strict restrictions on its use, mainly age, there is growing concern amongst people now over acceptance of AstraZeneca dose. 

And with India now the centre of the world and in a horrible state, they will be having to manufacture Astra for themselves, with less than 2 percent of the population vaccinated they have a major vaccine supply problem, good old bad boys Russian coming to their aid with the Sputnik 5.

According to to RT the lancet reports that Sputnik 5 tests as the safest vaccine but Europe wants to ignore this. 

And on top of all this Thailand has not begun to manufacture Astra yet. 

10 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

A friend is in Singapore.  A lady went into quarantine for 2 weeks.  2 weeks later, she was sick.  They've no idea how it happened and they're doing a fantastic job there of contact tracing, etc.  Scary.  We just don't fully understand this virus yet.  Especially the variants.

IT can take two weeks to get sick once exposed.  This is widely known and widely reported since the pandemic started.  

It sounds like you are a little fuzzy on details, so please allow me to fill you in.  Your friend had no symptoms and was positive and was easily spreading it while she was quarantined for the 2 weeks.  That's why she was quarantined.  

Two weeks in quarantine NEVER means two weeks and you're free.  There are countless stories of people in their houses locked up for three weeks or more, waiting for it to be over.  

9 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

My neighbor owns a factory there.  Life is back to normal in China.  They are doing checks, and if covid is found, they lock down specific areas and do mass testing.  Their economy grew at some 18% last quarter.  Amazing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/packed-crowds-attend-music-festival-in-china-s-almost-virus-free-wuhan-1.4553575

they're about to leave the world behind..

5 hours ago, JackSalesman said:

Last year April there was a rush to pawn shops to sell stuff and that was only one month in of these lockdowns. Thais do not have much savings. The situation is now much much worse. It is easy to all these geezers here to just say deal with it because their monthly pensions (for now) are not in danger. 

If you are a Thai and you have a pulse?  Banks will extend you credit even if you're so underwater that you'll be a debt-slave for life  ???? which is kinda the point. 
Even Klaus Schwab weighed in from the WEF: "You'll own nothing and you'll be happy!" ????
Yeah.  Most people will own nothing while being so far in debt that indentured servitude will be the new norm.  "Happy?"  I doubt it.

China has not vaccinated a large percentage of their population. Just like India, I bet that less than 10 percent

of the Chinese population is vaccinated, just the wealthy and the lucky.  India has less than 5 percent of its population

vaccinated. I wonder just how much Russian population has had their shot?  Brazil is a disaster, and I doubt that most African countries 

had been vaccinated as well. I guess it depends on how much support they have got from the WHO, and how many vaccines

have been sent to the countries affected.  This COVID virus is certainly, a bit of a reset button. Unfortunately it is not the

rich who are most affected. My guess is that the poor people around the world are dying off the most.

Geezer

12 hours ago, Blumpie said:

IT can take two weeks to get sick once exposed.  This is widely known and widely reported since the pandemic started.  

It sounds like you are a little fuzzy on details, so please allow me to fill you in.  Your friend had no symptoms and was positive and was easily spreading it while she was quarantined for the 2 weeks.  That's why she was quarantined.  

Two weeks in quarantine NEVER means two weeks and you're free.  There are countless stories of people in their houses locked up for three weeks or more, waiting for it to be over.  

I'm quite aware of this.  Just posting this because some here don't seem to understand a 2 week quarantine isn't a guarantee you are not infected.  And it wasn't my friend.  It's been reported in the press in Singapore and they are quite worried about it.

As you know, we don't fully understand this virus yet.

• Sad 1

This is scary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe

Widely circulating coronavirus variants and persistent hesitancy about vaccines will keep the goal out of reach. The virus is here to stay, but vaccinating the most vulnerable may be enough to restore normalcy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Quelle surprise. The World's conveyor belt is back up and running, pumping out the contents of those Amazon packages.

Meanwhile, China showed the world how to deal with the 'pandemic', by ruthless authoritarian means, removing basic human rights, privacy, and even having goons in Hazmat suits forcibly entering people's homes to cart families off.

When you have been re-classified as a 'biological hazard' rather than a citizen of a democratic country, will you feel a lot safer?

Yeah. They used some draconian measures. No doubt. But saved thousands of lives. A trade off I guess.