Smoking in room.

1 minute ago, Andyfez said:

I agree with your neighbour.

It is not allowed on the balconies here.

Quite an obnoxious smell when it wafts in to our private space.

It really is a no brainer.....even if it were joss sticks or scented candles it is just not acceptable to inflict smells/smoke on someone else........cooking smells I can live with...........

• Like 2

Sitting in front of my house I get full blast of smoke when my neighbors light up and even my bathroom fills up with smoke. However I also get full blast of cooking smells, car and bike exhausts and drain smells. Can't avoid smells in a hot country where people live outdoors. If I can't stand the smells I go inside as your neighbor should. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

Tell him to close his windows/doors. Unless it's a condo regulation, your partner can smoke on your balcony. He could be more considerate and move if he doesn't like it.

Wait , what ? What if they are having a noisy party, practising the drums, bbqing a crocodile, or just being generally rowdy at 3AM ?  The point is with condos, you are in close proximity and "giving consideration when you are disturbing others" should be the default.  If people struggle with that concept and think their rights are being usurped, condo living isn't for them becasue there will be hostility, as the OP has discovered. Sure, old mate the smoker is put out, but then so is old mate with the barking dog, old mate hosting loud parties etc etc

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Sitting in front of my house I get full blast of smoke when my neighbors light up and even my bathroom fills up with smoke. However I also get full blast of cooking smells, car and bike exhausts and drain smells. Can't avoid smells in a hot country where people live outdoors. If I can't stand the smells I go inside as your neighbor should. 

@chilly07are you sure you really don't understand about the damage caused by second hand smoking?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It is difficult to stop people smoking I have some properties for rent, only one condo I have to read the riot act to them, set the smoke alarm off it's 2000 baht it goes through to security so they know which unit is going off, 

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

It really is a no brainer.....even if it were joss sticks or scented candles it is just not acceptable to inflict smells/smoke on someone else........cooking smells I can live with...........

Disappointing news for drivers of diesel vehicles.....

• Haha 1

Just take the smoking downstairs and the case is closed even your ego might tell you to do otherwise because of his BS “you know who I am” comment. Cigarette smoke just smells nasty and I wouldn’t want that in my place either. Even while I was still smoking I always went outside because I didn’t want the smell inside. 

By the way, your doors aren’t airtight, so if there is a draft and your balcony door is open the smoke might very well get through your front door into the common area. The next problem is that people above you, if you have any, can’t have their balcony door open either while you smoke or they’ll have the smoke in their condo as well. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 2

When I used to smoke I lived in a condo/ high rise building that had a no smoking policy.

No smoking in the apartment or on the balcony,I used to have to go down to the parking area for a fag. Sure it was a pain in the <deleted>,but I eventually smoked less and less.

When your a smoker you really don’t smell just how bad it is. My opinion,get your partner to smoke somewhere where it won’t bother other neighbors,things could get difficult if it escalates.

Good neighbour’s are hard to find,so is it worth the hassle for a fag.

But smoking in a condo or on a condo balcony should not be allowed. 
if I was going to rent again,I would ask that question,wouldn’rent the place if it was allowed.

Anyway best of luck and hope you find a solution to your problem.

• Like 2

I agree with your neighbour. Nobody needs to breathe in what are you smoking. 

If you really need to smoke, please smoke outside the condo where nobody can smell your smoke.

If you were in a reverse situation, your neighbour had a strange habit of eating something very smelly (or fart most of the time) and the smell goes into your room. Would you like it?

Stop smoking because it causes damage to your lungs, just look at what the Covid victims need ..... a ventilator.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Its horrible when someone starts smoking on the balcony next door.  It drifts through air conditioner, door, and into your smokers room into the hallway.

If you your addicted to that filthy deadly habit do it outside of the building!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BumGun said:

Wait , what ? What if they are having a noisy party, practising the drums, bbqing a crocodile, or just being generally rowdy at 3AM ?  The point is with condos, you are in close proximity and "giving consideration when you are disturbing others" should be the default.  If people struggle with that concept and think their rights are being usurped, condo living isn't for them becasue there will be hostility, as the OP has discovered. Sure, old mate the smoker is put out, but then so is old mate with the barking dog, old mate hosting loud parties etc etc

Your examples are of the extreme and nothing like smoking...OPs condo, unless there is a no smoking on balcony rule...the neighbour needs to accept that, if he's not happy, he can move.

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Your examples are of the extreme and nothing like smoking...OPs condo, unless there is a no smoking on balcony rule...the neighbour needs to accept that, if he's not happy, he can move.

Yes, because condos are so cheap to buy... How many do you buy every month?

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

There is usually a no-smoking sign at the front desk inside the condo. If the condo allows people to smoke inside a balcony, then that condo management is not being honest to non-smoking tenants.

Unless the sign says 'no-smoking except in the balcony'.

What goes around comes around. If you subject people to foul smell, you will get foul smell in the future so that you will know what it feels like.

Edited by EricTh

10 hours ago, Finlaco said:

@Meat Pie 47are you sure you really don't understand about the damage caused by second hand smoking?  

I guess you are a non smoker and hate smokers I used to smoke all my life (started at 15) and smoked till my 70th birthday I gave up because of the cost not for health reason. So is smoking is so bad for you how come I am still alive? And don't give me that <deleted> about 2nd hand smoke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

So is smoking is so bad for you how come I am still alive?

How many people do you know that died from cancer that started in the lungs? Just because you were lucky and didn't die from it doesn't mean everyone is immune.

The problem with smoking is it takes too long to kill the smokers. If it was a few months or years then some of the thick smokers might smarten up and stop.

As for the OP,  he/she needs to kick out his partner and find a new one that doesn't smoke. I sure wouldn't want to kiss someone who smokes as the taste is disgusting.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, BenDeCosta said:

just ask your partner to go downstairs and smoke in the street, problem solved.

Or ask the neighbor to f.. off and go to the street while your partner smokes on your property. 

• Haha 2

On 5/4/2021 at 10:49 PM, ukrules said:

I wonder what the neighbour would say if you were to have a BBQ on the balcony

On 5/4/2021 at 10:49 PM, ukrules said:

I wonder what the neighbour would say if you were to have a BBQ on the balcony

Especially if he is off a certain faith. ????