Moderna vaccine will be available at private hospitals for 3,000 baht - but you'll still need to register

webfact

31 minutes ago, bradiston said:

In order to join the priority high risk queue for vaccinations, you need to show medical history of one of the underlying conditions, with treatment at that hospital. 

Well good luck getting on a list somewhere.

On 5/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, Surelynot said:

No mention that any of this is catering for expats.

Course not ..

Expats / Aliens are not important  to the Thai economy ..

That said , we like to think we are ..

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

In order to join the priority high risk queue for vaccinations, you need to show medical history of one of the underlying conditions, with treatment at that hospital. 

IF you are under age 60.

No need if you are over 60.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DavisH said:

Actually, any Thai can register, regardless if they are elderly or have underlying conditions. 

At this time the only Thais who can register for a vaccine appointment are those in the high risk groups.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 1:42 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

"Absolutely free"...how much did you pay in federal, state, and city income taxes last year; not to mention property taxes, which fund many county health departments administering the vaccinations? I'll pay the $100-$200 for my vaccine jab in Thailand (where there are none of those taxes for most expats), while you lucky ones enjoy "free" vaccines in the U.S., UK, and elsewhere.

So you don't pay any tax at all?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

So you don't pay any tax at all?

Which country or both? Of course in Thailand I pay 7% VAT on all good and services I buy...and B2500 or so per year for my car road tax sticker. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:49 AM, keith101 said:

Common Side Effects from Moderna Vaccine.

The most commonly reported side effects, which typically lasted several days, were pain at the injection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, swollen lymph nodes in the same arm as the injection, nausea and vomiting, and fever. Of note, more people experienced these side effects after the second dose than after the first dose, so it is important for vaccination providers and recipients to expect that there may be some side effects after either dose, but even more so after the second dose.

This info is from the US FDA .

Just a standard warning like you get with most medicines.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

At this time the only Thais who can register for a vaccine appointment are those in the high risk groups.

In the UK their advisory board is recommending that younger people (under 40) not use the AZ because observed clotting frequency is 1:60000 for under 30s

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57021738

Then there is this:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2103931

So with the B.1.351 on the way here, getting Sinovac or AZ may be an academic question.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

IF you are under age 60.

No need if you are over 60.

I'm not sure if your information is from the real world. Do you know of any 60 year olds who have successfully registered at a hospital anywhere in Thailand? And I don't mean an online registration via email. I've described my experiences at 4 hospitals. The only one that registered me was the one I most recently attended.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

This is so true, it hits at the point in regards to the US and UK's cost of vaccines. Also true are the amount of taxes you pay in both countries, but in reality, there is just no additional costs to you. However I believe you paid for that vaccine if you received one there. The private hospitals here in Thailand charge for the use and administering of said vaccines or any other medications for that matter. Remember you also pay for medications separately at the hospitals, public or private here in Thailand, just as you do in US and UK. The private hospitals are just a higher cost to you.

Just for example, I obtain a monthly prescription from my doctor for Tramadol and pay ฿120 ($4) for 60 tablets. In the US I paid about $40 for the same amount.  The Tramadol comes from India, which is where the Thai government purchase many drugs, probably the same for US and UK. I had an educational conversation in English of course, with my doctor concerning the cost of drugs. My doctor worked in the US for a number of years and had some very interesting insight regarding the cost of health care.

I guess what I am trying to say is the cost is much cheaper hear and I am so tired of hearing about this issue, it is not really an issue is it!  But this is my opinion of course!  ????

Do you have insurance? In the US, with insurance the copay is like $1-2. Without insurance a brand name drug is of course more, but there is usually generic drugs for much cheaper

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Absolutely, however I do hope the USA lift its patent restrictions and assist India where over a 1,000 people are dying per day, surely it can't be about the money in times of humanity. History repeating it's self early 2000's.

Patent restrictions are not the problem. Retrofitting existing vaccine manufacture plants take time.  Building brand new plants take even more time. Look at Thailand's plant. It is still not ready yet. Vaccine makers do not need to give up there IP to work with plants to manufacture their vaccine.

11 hours ago, VBF said:

I agree that is the usual procedure, but don't you think the mark of a good Govt would be to accept other reputable tests in the case of an "unprecedented" pandemic?

One can either suggest that the Thai authorities are simply following the rules, OR one could suggest that they're being stubborn. Tbh, I'm not sure either way.

They are not redoing the trials and studies. They are just doing their due diligence and reviewing the paperwork. This can be done in less than a month. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/5/2021 at 9:49 PM, keith101 said:

Common Side Effects from Moderna Vaccine.

The most commonly reported side effects, which typically lasted several days, were pain at the injection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain, swollen lymph nodes in the same arm as the injection, nausea and vomiting, and fever. Of note, more people experienced these side effects after the second dose than after the first dose, so it is important for vaccination providers and recipients to expect that there may be some side effects after either dose, but even more so after the second dose.

This info is from the US FDA .

I had only sore shoulder for 2.days as that where they stick the needle into the bone as I am a very mature Gent long in years had No issue now I can travel and enjoy life again.  

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 10:18 PM, Bob4u said:

Hi  , received 2 Moderna shots for absolutely free in USA .

First shot only arm pain 

2nd Shot was slightly ill with a mild reaction for a day.

2 weeks later tested positive for Covid19 anti-bodies.

I'll just leave that little cookie right here for y'all

SO did I and I Love the word FREE so i give all the nurse;s in the tent a Starbucks gift card they did a great job working over 9.hrs a day, Question would you do this job??

3 hours ago, Jim Morrison said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4973708/failed-flu-vaccine-to-blame-thousands-deaths/

Do your homework. You can't take the shot out, once it goes in..

To avoid any confusion that item was about that vaccine being ineffective. So more people died of the flu because the vaccine failed to protect them. It is not saying that the vaccine itself killed them!

What is the relevance to us now for Covid 19?

Obviously that it's more desirable to get the most effective vaccine possible.

• Like 2

Isn't it interesting that many are obsessed with getting a jab and just as many are willing to pass on getting one. This would indicate many countries may never reach herd status, so isn't Covid here to stay?

Edited by inThailand
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Isn't it interesting that many are obsessed with getting a jab and just as many are willing to pass on getting one. This would indicate many countries may never reach herd status, so isn't Covid here to stay?

They will force there hand. The new world will require the vaccine passport not just for flying but to get into malls, sports events etc etc. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, inThailand said:

A lot of the anti-vaxxers are going to die. That will help reaching herd immunity, by thinning the herd.

Come to think of it, if there are a lot of anti-vaxxers around, that may provide a disincentive for the virus to learn how infect the vaccinated. Thanks, guys.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

My experience with Moderna.

The Veterans Hospital in the US I go to offered this free.

They have cordoned off a parking lot at the hospital to be used only for Covid jabs.

A person will guide you to park in a designated parking space.

You DO NOT leave your vehicle.

A licensed registered nurse will come over to your vehicle.

You roll the window down and she will write down your info.

Then she will administer the jab through the open window.

She will give you the COVID Vaccine card.

You have to sit there in your car for 15 minutes to make sure you do not have any reactions to the jab.

They do suggest you go home, take some pain killers and take it easy.

I did not have any side effects until 9 hours later. Then a horrible pain started at the jab and continued for the next couple days.

30 days later I had to return for Jab # 2. Same process, except this time they sign off on your COVID vaccine card with both doses.

Once again they recommend taking pain killers.

For the second jab I did not have any pain until about 48 hours later. Then it continued for approximately 7 days.

The written literature that was handed to me by the RN states the effectivity of the Moderna vaccine is ONLY 6 MONTHS.

There is now talk of a required Booster jab being required in August time frame?

I had no pain, and no other symptoms  from Moderna jabs. As of today, I am fully vaccinated.

Let’s hope that yesterday’s Covid test is negative.

16 hours ago, club said:

Its not only we want to know when , Its when this government can stick to the same plan for at least 2 weeks without changing their mind. 

The plan has never changed, always said expats have to wait, along with the majority of Thais that are also waiting on vaccine to become available.

• Like 1