Bangkok: Myanmar worker crushed by 500 kg concrete slab in crane accident

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Pahonyothin police and Poh Teck Tung rescue foundation were called after a crane accident  at a construction site for an 8 story residential development in Ladprao Soi 35 yesterday in the Thai capital Bangkok.

A 500 kilogram 3x3 meter concrete slab being positioned on the fourth floor was apparently too heavy for the crane causing it to topple forward, reported Daily News.

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The slab crushed 43 year old Yim from Myanmar who had been directing operations below. He had multiple injuries and was dead at the scene.

Capt Banyong Daengruang of the Pahonyothin police said that crane driver Suriya, 41, who was taken to Paulo Choke Chai hospital with arm injuries, would be reinterviewed later.  

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-08

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Surely these are fitted with all sorts of alarms and shouldn't they have known beforehand what the crane is licensed to lift........what am I thinking?

May not be a capability issue. It is sitting on relatively loose fill.  You can see the metal plates where the back legs were sitting.  They're on top of maybe concrete columns laying on the ground to distribute the weight even more.  But where were the front ones sitting? On the left, if they're visible, it looks like it was pushed down.  There's not a greyish square metal plate.

Unless the entire thing was slid forward and those are the pads for the front legs. But there's no gouging from the feet dragging or wheels dragging.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Capt Banyong Daengruang of the Pahonyothin police said that crane driver Suriya, 41, who was taken to Paulo Choke Chai hospital with arm injuries, would be reinterviewed later.

And given an appearance date in court on charges of manslaughter?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A 500 kilogram 3x3 meter concrete slab being positioned on the fourth floor was apparently too heavy for the crane causing it to topple forward, reported Daily News.

I know maybe I'm a bit daft, but surely the back of the crane must weigh more than 500KG, though looking at the undercarriage it does look more like a 7/11 toy

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Confused 1

In totally the wrong position for a lift like that. He should have been sideways on then he would have had the legs and counterbalance weights in his favour. Lifting over the rear is asking for trouble and shows inexperience as there is nothing to stop it toppling. Plus I will bet the alarms had been removed/faulty.  

• Like 1

'Heath and Safety at Work', an unknown concept in Thailand and much of the rest of Asia.  Companies here often also  trot out this ISO9001  meaningless accreditation nonsense and expect us to be impressed.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, worrab said:

In totally the wrong position for a lift like that. He should have been sideways on then he would have had the legs and counterbalance weights in his favour. Lifting over the rear is asking for trouble and shows inexperience as there is nothing to stop it toppling. Plus I will bet the alarms had been removed/faulty.  

Most mobile crane lift charts will show over the rear have the highest capacities. The SLI, safe load indicator, was either being ignored or was not working.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Terrible. Sure a family lost its bread winner due to the irresponsible stupid "crane drivers/handlers" in this country.

Is there a month without a toppled crane story?

If you see a crane: RUN!!!

My ole man taught me to stay above a heavy load.

12 minutes ago, davidill said:

Most mobile crane lift charts will show over the rear have the highest capacities. The SLI, safe load indicator, was either being ignored or was not working.

I stand corrected. Operator error then.

• Like 1

I'd say an overlift, ignoring the warning bell and overriding the crane control, but could have been ground failure but cannot see the leg on rest behind slabs. It's amazing how little can turn a crane when at full lift capability, can be the difference of worker just leaning on or pulling the load.

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I know maybe I'm a bit daft, but surely the back of the crane must weigh more than 500KG, though looking at the undercarriage it does look more like a 7/11 toy

Yes it would weigh more than 500kg but at that height the jib would have been almost fully extended with a 500kg weight on it, giving it the lever effect. It is the job of the cranes operator to know the weight he is lifting, and jib length to determine if it is safe to lift. There is a simple chart to use which should be in the operators cab to determine this. When a crane is rated say at 40 ton lift that is from directly in front of the cab with jib fully retracted, the further the jib is extended the less weight it can safely lift. Here ends todays lesson on cranes. Not all cranes have the bells and whistles.  

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 5:10 PM, worrab said:

I couldn't agree with you more, but what were the counterbalance weights anyway? 

Maybe not set up for the job after the last one. 

As also pointed out the ground did not look good either 

On 5/9/2021 at 6:06 AM, toofarnorth said:

Why doesn't this come as a surprise ?  Building sites here and expect anything to happen.

So I googled "crane accidents" and chose images.

Had to scroll down about a dozen pages before I found one from Thailand...