Thailand’s plan to reopen to vaccinated visitors sparks hope of tourism revival

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism operators in Thailand have hailed the country’s plan to waive quarantine for vaccinated travellers from October as a positive step towards positioning the country for a robust post-pandemic recovery.

At least they admit it is only a plan. I don't think it will happen without the development of global standards for vaccination and testing certificate that will be recognized by most if not all countries. What are the global acceptable vaccines and will countries accept that certified list of vaccines. Vaccine nationalism can be a challenging obstacle. If there is no globally accepted standards, returning tourists may face their own challenges in their countries. Just too many questions yet to be answered for an international vaccine travel passport.  

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why would anyone would want to come to Thailand now is beyond me, what with all the restrictions, closed venues, rampant Covid everywhere and no end in sigh,t what are the upsides of visiting Thailand now?... 

sadly none..im married have my home wife ..kids  or would be long gone..love this place but to many donkeys running the show  far better places in the world  

5 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Want to bet that you have to be vaccinated fully, have proof in form of certificate, translate certificate into Thai, buy covid insurance, have test 72 hours before and test 5 days after entering Thailand all at your expense

you missed out tourism tax.... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

I dont understand these crazy tourism ideas that keep being delivered from the Thai government. They must understand that they are not on western country green list, surely ? They spout these tourism programs even as they are obviously suffering from a third covid wave. Its obvious to prospective tourists and their countries that the Thai vaccination program is lacking. Many western countries have not even vaccinated their own populations yet so tourism is dead. 

Vacc222ine-for-Thailand.jpg

Edited by robsamui

49 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Will Australia let you out?  ..and not quarantine you for 14 days on your return?

It was looking like October..now maybe December..you are right the Australian Government just had the budget and isn't committing to anything at this stage.. airport shares down today.. I can get the vaccine now which hopefully means I can avoid long quarantine periods but that's not clear too

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Wasn’t a pre requisite for opening this scheme in July that 70% of the locals had to be vaccinated first.?

How is that going to happen for those participants in July, then again for the rest in October when the target is now 70% of the population by the end of the year? 

While the subject of study and timing of results achieved may vary, certainly we can all agree that 70% is a reliable statistic for life in Thailand.

For example - 

1.  The driver ahead of you is texting (70% likelihood)

2. The lorry driver behind you is high on meth (70% likelihood)

3. The minibus was out of control (70% likelihood)

4. The man in the brown shirt is looking for a brown packet (70% likelihood)

5. Effectiveness of Thai birth control (70%, according to her)

etc, etc

• Haha 2

I am hoping that at least by the end of December, Thailand will have 50 to 70 percent of the population

vaccinated, and the quarantine issue will be better.  If not, I hope the people of Thailand replace their fake government 

with people who know how to govern.  Always hopeful,  I am.

Geezer

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 3:42 AM, webfact said:

expected to start in July. Under that plan, vaccinated tourists will be allowed to visit Phuket, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Krabi and Pattaya without mandatory quarantine.

If successful, four other cities – Bangkok, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Buriram – will join Phuket in exempting vaccinated tourists from quarantine from October.

HUH?!!!! Is this a typo???  So In July I can roll in show my vax card and bs Insurance and get a VOA and jump right up to CNX?.....What a mixed up-disorganized--ever changing ball of confusion!!

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.

21 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

HUH?!!!! Is this a typo???  So In July I can roll in show my vax card and bs Insurance and get a VOA and jump right up to CNX?.....What a mixed up-disorganized--ever changing ball of confusion!!

I think it's wrong reporting.  It only applies (the sandbox scheme) to Phuket from 1 July. The other areas will follow on later (1 October maybe) if the Phuket sandbox is a success.  The other areas mentioned are said to be being prioritised for local vaccination, so maybe that is where the confusion has crept in.  But I think it's poor reporting.  That said under current proposal, you can land, if vaxxed without Quarantine, in Phuket, then after 7 days, travel to elsewhere in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stuarty said:

I think it's wrong reporting.  It only applies (the sandbox scheme) to Phuket from 1 July. The other areas will follow on later (1 October maybe) if the Phuket sandbox is a success.  The other areas mentioned are said to be being prioritised for local vaccination, so maybe that is where the confusion has crept in.  But I think it's poor reporting.  That said under current proposal, you can land, if vaxxed without Quarantine, in Phuket, then after 7 days, travel to elsewhere in Thailand. 

A s..  storm waiting to happen with allowing vaccinated tourists to roam in a unvaccinated country, well not unvaccinated just poorly vaccinated.

I wonder: have they realized that at least 50% of Europeans and Americans have not been vaccinated and do not intend to, now or ever?
And it's not a fake, Google is available to everyone
But apparently they expect mass tourism of vaccinated people. Good luck

Edited by fleccer
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Keep hearing October but what about now for fully vaccinated people they are the ones taking a risk in an unvaccinated country ????

If fully vaccinated and if and that's a big if the vaccine works how would you be taking a risk in an unvaccinated county?????

7 minutes ago, fleccer said:

I wonder: have they realized that at least 50% of Europeans and Americans have not been vaccinated and do not intend to, now or ever?

The unvaccinated in America don't get out much, anyway. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stuarty said:

Is what I assume and I hope they fix that as its misleading--but then again this whole <deleted>show is....

19 minutes ago, fleccer said:

Link it or stop posting misinformation

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/vaccine/ct-aud-nw-covid-vaccine-reluctance-20210402-dya5k46puvdppntsswl4zqlqwy-story.html

Nationwide, 24% of Black Americans and 22% of Hispanic Americans say they will probably or definitely not get vaccinated, down from 41% and 34% in January, respectively. Among white Americans, 26% now say they will not get vaccinated. In January, that number was 31%.

https://www.wgal.com/article/half-of-us-adults-have-received-at-least-one-dose-of-vaccine/36156273

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, fleccer said:

Where did you come up with that ridiculous percentage of "at least 50%" and "do not intend to, now or ever?"

Edited by placeholder

It really would be good if the Thai government would stick to a plan instead of keep changing their minds about vaccinations, tourists coming into Thailand etc. Politics and decisions here are changed on a daily basis. Just get the vaccine rolled out ASAP and we can all move on and get back to some normality, instead of businesses closing down every day this continues.

Edited by Dog walker

Suggest concentrate on vaccination programme before any arrangements to open for tourism. Doubt even if vaccines available would be possible to vaccinate 70% of population before end of this year. So far as UK is concerned would need to quarantine for 10 days  dfter returning from Thailand provided you have obtained Covid Free test 3 days before leaving Thailand. 

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Link it or stop posting misinformation

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/vaccine/ct-aud-nw-covid-vaccine-reluctance-20210402-dya5k46puvdppntsswl4zqlqwy-story.html

Nationwide, 24% of Black Americans and 22% of Hispanic Americans say they will probably or definitely not get vaccinated, down from 41% and 34% in January, respectively. Among white Americans, 26% now say they will not get vaccinated. In January, that number was 31%.

https://www.wgal.com/article/half-of-us-adults-have-received-at-least-one-dose-of-vaccine/36156273

relax, you seem to be a little agitated

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

• Haha 1

Open. Close. Open. Close. Open and charge 'em extra. Close. Open.... ad infinitum

Why not just wait until they actually have a plan? 

Edited by djayz

1 hour ago, SuperTed said:

While the subject of study and timing of results achieved may vary, certainly we can all agree that 70% is a reliable statistic for life in Thailand.

For example - 

1.  The driver ahead of you is texting (70% likelihood)

2. The lorry driver behind you is high on meth (70% likelihood)

3. The minibus was out of control (70% likelihood)

4. The man in the brown shirt is looking for a brown packet (70% likelihood)

5. Effectiveness of Thai birth control (70%, according to her)

etc, etc

Nah wrong

No 4 The man in the brown shirt is looking for a brown packet

(100% True)

7 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Want to bet that you have to be vaccinated fully, have proof in form of certificate, translate certificate into Thai, buy covid insurance, have test 72 hours before and test 5 days after entering Thailand all at your expense

Lets wait and see what they come up with before speculating what will be required. Post like this just causes lots of confusion. Reading many post on Thaivisa over the years you see the number of people who believe they first theing they read is the gospel

• Like 1