Thailand’s plan to reopen to vaccinated visitors sparks hope of tourism revival

webfact

7 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

In my case it is to see  a girlfriend I have been separated from for 14 months. Being outside Thailand and sitting at work on a cold Melbourne day I can say there is an appetite to get to Thailand and stay at a nice hotel and sit on a beach. I think they'll be a lot of people around the world who feel the same. I like it if it is a bit quiet.

This assumes of course that covid has reduced significantly from current levels. 

How ya gonna get permission to leave Australia?lol. Don't know if seeing your "girlfriend" qualifies as essential travel to border force. ????????????

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/news/international-travel-for-australians-will-not-resume-until-2024-economic-report-suggests-041321

Edited by starky

7 hours ago, brommers said:

So where are all these visitors clamouring to visit Thailand. Australia eont have open boarders for at least a year, NZ will be similar. Thailand is not on the UK Green List and China does not allow travel outside its borders. The list goes on. This country has blown its chance of emulating Maldives and Seychelles and will never regain its previous position as a tourism powerhouse.

Could be a lot longer than that for Aussies 

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/news/international-travel-for-australians-will-not-resume-until-2024-economic-report-suggests-041321

Post Pandemic recovery? What is that!....a misnomer? 

As were still heading into the eye of the Storm....

On another note..... C-130 Lockheed Hercules Aircraft dispatches out of Wing 5 Royal Thai Airforce. 

Hopefully off,  to retrieve vaccines to inoculate our troops and Government officials!

Go RTA, Go!!!!

20210511_134756.jpg

Again, all cart before the horse stuff.

The only next bit of news that I want to hear is

"Thailand roll out first 10,000,000 doses of locally produced vaccine"

Until then please respect my level of intelligence

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Some  would come  because it's a  lot  quieter, I  know  I  would, I don't  travel much now as mass  tourism has wrecked the entire  world. Tere are  just  too  many people.

You've turned into a grumpy old man/woman/non-binary????....just like me????????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I wouldn't worry about it.  

Everything is going digital.  

You will see.  

I'm UK so we will have the NHS app but can Thai understand it as i walk through? As for Thailand anything they do mostly don't work, just look at the 90 day app????????????

I recently had to go to hospital in the UK for surgery and thought i would get the vaccine first, which i was going to arrange, however after discussing it with the NHS staff it was concluded that they didnt actually care whether i had had the vaccine or not, infact no one actually asked it was myself that brought it up.

Very strange, so anyway 3 trips to hospital in the last 8 months, not once temperature checked upon arrival, like they said they do. Also no wait or delay for mri scans, no delay in the operation and all is done from start to finish in about 6 months. It seems this covid has actually kept everyone out of hospital and thus provided more time for efficeient use of the their services.

Vaccinations do not seem to give you any more entitlement than being non vaccinated.

This is all just a drive to encourage people to take the vaccine and then the subsequent boosters, still though you will need to provide a negative test to enter most countries.

Also i was treated as a private patient, although i dont have any private insurance or plan in place, so the surgeon who works privately and also for the NHS conducted everything on NHS premises but bills the NHS for private work, not sure how that is even legal?

Edited by ed strong

4 minutes ago, ed strong said:

<snip>

Vaccinations do not seem to give you any more entitlement than being non vaccinated.

This is all just a drive to encourage people to take the vaccine and then the subsequent boosters, still though you will need to provide a negative test to enter most countries.

At present yes, but I can see that changing when (and if) people get comfortable with the idea that fully vaccinated people are not a risk to others. So far there's not enough firm evidence for that but I can see it coming.

Some research appears to be heading that way although presently caution would appear to be the watchword.

• Like 2

So fully vaccinated tourists with a negative covid test (I presume) can only visit these destinations? Why ? Surely having been vaccinated and tested negative is enough assurance that we don't have covid and therefore are unlikely to bring the virus ? 

5 minutes ago, Gwen1234 said:

So fully vaccinated tourists with a negative covid test (I presume) can only visit these destinations? Why ? Surely having been vaccinated and tested negative is enough assurance that we don't have covid and therefore are unlikely to bring the virus ? 

These destinations are earmarked for trialling the no-quarantine sandbox.  If successful, eventually go anywhere without quarantine .  They are going to roll it out in stages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJBenz said:

Real world data from Pfizer and Moderna shows a 90% effectiveness against infection. [Source] Still early days, but the signs are very encouraging for the vaccines preventing transmission.

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Significantly Prevents Infection, Severe Disease in Israel

Two-dose administration of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine BNT162b2 is associated with greater than 90% prevention of asymptomatic, symptomatic and severe COVID-19 infection, according to new real-world findings out of Israel.

The three-month study outcomes from the nation with the greatest rate of vaccinated adults showed persons aged ≥16 years old given the two-dose mRNA vaccine have similarly benefitted in substantial risk reduction from hospitalization (97.5%) and death (96.7%) related to the pandemic virus.

Investigators, led by Dr. Sharon Alroy-Preis, of the Israel Ministry of Health published in The Lancet Wednesday evening, believe these newest real-world outcomes provide evidence of future control over COVID-19 among a more vaccinated global population.

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-significantly-prevents-infection-severe-disease-in-israel

• Like 1

12 hours ago, onebir said:

"A week is a long time in politics"

"Soon is five months in Maibpenrailand"

Seems to be the same old news regurgitated in one form or another but no clear cut, defined plan. Actually getting fed up responding to what is almost coming over as fake news. Until the vaccine rollout actually happens in earnest and haven't even seen a list of hospital that are offering it yet let alone which one and how much and I don't mean all the government lists saying what has been approved and what is about to be approved because it means nothing until its actually available. Regarding the vaccine certificate, the NHS APP for all the UK has the details of your vaccines, which one and when had and I would say difficult to forge as its tied to your NHS number and would be adequate proof for entry to a country requiring proof of vaccination. Wouldn't have thought it much of an issue to let another country have access simply to view this information for inbound tourists.

33 minutes ago, VBF said:

At present yes, but I can see that changing when (and if) people get comfortable with the idea that fully vaccinated people are not a risk to others. So far there's not enough firm evidence for that but I can see it coming.

Some research appears to be heading that way although presently caution would appear to be the watchword.

Sorry to quote my own post but this illustrates the point i was making:  

Covid: One dose of vaccine halves transmission - study

"This is the latest piece of evidence to indicate that vaccines are slowing the transmission of the virus as well as saving lives."

Clearly, research is ongoing.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Want to bet that you have to be vaccinated fully, have proof in form of certificate, translate certificate into Thai, buy covid insurance, have test 72 hours before and test 5 days after entering Thailand all at your expense

Certificate won't have to be translated into Thai

4 hours ago, hioctane said:

Because after the vaccination the chance of hospitalization and death is next to zero.  The chance of getting infected with mild symptoms is slim. If you want to stay holed up at home the rest of your life, up to you!

I guess you missed the point, let's try again. So people who are vaccinated come to a country whereby the people are not vaccinated and would/will not be infected.... do you have any data to support that?

Is it a coincidence that this article is accompanied by a photo of that unfortunate shrine that several years ago was the epicentre of a cowardly terrorist bombing? Or is it a subliminal message saying, "Forget it, man - it will explode right into your face?" Just asking...

Edited by Freigeist365

4 hours ago, starky said:

Australians may as well bow out for at least two years.  

That's a good thing - Thailand will not be ready for travellers until at LEAST the fall of 2022.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mike1967 said:

Clueless wonders. Governments from vaccinated countries don't want their people travelling to Thailand. Why does Thailand think it's calling all the shots? They are lagging behind, laughably so.

Been saying this for some time , sadly TAT are in total denial of this salient fact.

12 hours ago, Humpy said:

Tourists are not going to visit as long as Thailand allows every dodgy Gupta and other infected free loaders to sneak into the Country for treatment .

"Dodgy Gupta". And you probably accuse Thais of being racist towards Expats.

Edited by thaigrifter
Correcting a typing error.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DoctorB said:

Don't want to be picky, but where did you get your figures from? Worldometers.com for 12 May shows 3,333,788 deaths for 160,416,508 cases worldwide, which is a fatality rate of 2.07%; so the survival rate is about 97.9 %. Having said that, one suspects the case rate is very much understated as people with mild or no symptoms are unlikely to be tested, and the death rate overstated as other respiratory fatalities are likely to be shown as Covid (eg the UK showed an unbelievably low rate of flu deaths this winter) so you may be right. Either way, it's hardly the Black Death.

It's not easy to find accurate figures ..... as you say .... 100's of thousands of flu and respiratory deaths have disappeared, all counted as covid. The official government figures on the UK website, actually tells you the have included the death twice .... (as covid and also respiratory) I have no idea why ...... 

16 minutes ago, Been There said:

It's not easy to find accurate figures ..... as you say .... 100's of thousands of flu and respiratory deaths have disappeared, all counted as covid. The official government figures on the UK website, actually tells you the have included the death twice .... (as covid and also respiratory) I have no idea why ...... 

Flu deaths has always been an estimate. Covid IS a respiratory illness. It is called SARS-Cov-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome) after all. That said, since Covid is so contagious, you will likely get Covid before you get the flu. You can still get both.

45 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Off the top of my head China , Australia and New Zealand are not letting their citizens go anywhere , so the UK scheme is far more liberal.

The list is also ammended every 3 weeks to reflect current trends , seems sensible rather than crazy.

That is 3 countries out of 195. Barely any in the grand scheme of things.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Off the top of my head China , Australia and New Zealand are not letting their citizens go anywhere , so the UK scheme is far more liberal.

The list is also ammended every 3 weeks to reflect current trends , seems sensible rather than crazy.

NZ & Australia have a bubble in place so lots of travel between the 2

• Like 1