Thailand’s plan to reopen to vaccinated visitors sparks hope of tourism revival

webfact

5 minutes ago, hioctane said:

It is conditional on 70% of the local population (Phuket) being vaccinated. Of course everything would be open.

And 30% are not... same thing applies who would want to come?

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why would anyone would want to come to Thailand now is beyond me, what with all the restrictions, closed venues, rampant Covid everywhere and no end in sigh,t what are the upsides of visiting Thailand now?... 

Getting laid? ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

Studies are ongoing but evidence from highly vaccinated countries show that it does not.

How can they conduct these tests when infections were already dropping (since January) due to seasonal patterns? We won't know if the vaccinations work until next mid-October when the regular flu season starts up again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Wasn’t a pre requisite for opening this scheme in July that 70% of the locals had to be vaccinated first.?

How is that going to happen for those participants in July, then again for the rest in October when the target is now 70% of the population by the end of the year? 

The Devil is in the details.

The chances are low that a vaccinated person will contract the virus. It prevents hospitalization and death. That is the point of vaccination.  Early studies have shown that they do not pass the virus. Studies are ongoing but evidence from highly vaccinated countries show that it does not.

From what's happening in Singapore, I doubt vaccination can stop transmission 100% especially the Indian variant. Quite a few breakthrough cases although with mild symptoms, from clusters in healthcare and aviation/seaport sectors. 

• Haha 1

I just find this, well, strange.

the whole country is under pretty severe restrictions, some areas very severe. Just this week 6 foreigners were “busted” for meeting at one house for a non existent party.

despite all the restrictions in place, the Covid daily case count remains stubbornly high, demonstrating that the severity of the current restrictions isn’t enough to bring down the number of cases. And so on a daily basis we read of more closures, more restrictions.

Vaccinations numbers remain pitifully low , certainly Phuket is at nowhere near 70% even if that figure is a safe level ( i don’t think it is, and definitely not for the 30% left unvaccinated)

and yet, in the face of all these facts, there’s a big deal made out of reopening for tourism.

it makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Who do they think will want to come to Thailand for a holiday knowing they face quarantene when they return home?

Exactly. The covid tests on returning to the UK plus the extra covid insurance will add at least £400+ to the holiday. In addition there is only mention of certain cities within the program, how am i supposed to see my son in Surin? Just another shambolic statement with no fore thought. I will be there in October one way or another, can only hope things have changed by then.

The chances are low that a vaccinated person will contract the virus. It prevents hospitalization and death. That is the point of vaccination.  Early studies have shown that they do not pass the virus. Studies are ongoing but evidence from highly vaccinated countries show that it does not.

Why are vaccinated people still made to wear mask and social distance  ... still not allowed to visit their family  ... Even the manufactures of the vaccine have said it doesn't stop you passing it on, are you calling them liars ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thailand seems to forget that approval from the HOME country has to be given before tourist travel overseas.  Thailand does not make the decision for opening boarders in other countries. Australia is saying it will open its international border maybe in the 3rd quarter of 22. So TAT can waffle on with all its BS and as usual it will be meaningless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

In my case it is to see  a girlfriend I have been separated from for 14 months. Being outside Thailand and sitting at work on a cold Melbourne day I can say there is an appetite to get to Thailand and stay at a nice hotel and sit on a beach. I think they'll be a lot of people around the world who feel the same. I like it if it is a bit quiet.

This assumes of course that covid has reduced significantly from current levels. 

Will Australia let you out?  ..and not quarantine you for 14 days on your return?

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Wasn’t a pre requisite for opening this scheme in July that 70% of the locals had to be vaccinated first.?

How is that going to happen for those participants in July, then again for the rest in October when the target is now 70% of the population by the end of the year? 

Yep,  it will be a total disaster unless the local population are vaccinated.  Make this current wave look non existant

Another day, another plan!

I believe that the main problem with all these plans will turn out to be the inability of Thailand to manufacture the required number of AZ vaccines each month starting in June.  I will be very surprised if there are not initial unforseen manufacturing problems, which, to be fair, would probably occur in any country with a new process.  Naturally, Thailand is looking at this with their usual rose-tinted glasses and are making predictions accordingly.

Any substantial delay in getting 70% of the population vaccinated by year-end at the latest, along with all the other existing problems with the required documentation, insurance  etc,  will inevitably result in negligible tourist numbers this year, despite the expected TAT spin. 

• Like 1

I dont understand these crazy tourism ideas that keep being delivered from the Thai government. They must understand that they are not on western country green list, surely ? They spout these tourism programs even as they are obviously suffering from a third covid wave. 

Its obvious to prospective tourists and their countries that the Thai vaccination program is lacking. Many western countries have not even vaccinated their own populations yet so tourism is dead. 

As a westerner who retires this year I would love to travel in October. But I doubt that there will be much tourism infrastructure left in Thailand. I wish them well and hope that they become organised but in the interim there are many other destinations that will be safer. 

Edited by Sqoop

Every possibility there is very little money in the government coffers, so they need the tourists to refill them. Then they can maybe start their vaccine program in places like Phuket and Pattaya. Its a case of 'Why is there so much year left when the money runs out'?

Would be interesting to find out how a vaccinated tourist can't jump on a bus from Pattaya to BKK, or an expat..after all we are just glorified tourists....

1 minute ago, Jiggo said:

Would be interesting to find out how a vaccinated tourist can't jump on a bus from Pattaya to BKK, or an expat..after all we are just glorified tourists....

You can't arrive in Pattaya from outside thailand without quarantine.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why would anyone would want to come to Thailand now is beyond me, what with all the restrictions, closed venues, rampant Covid everywhere and no end in sigh,t what are the upsides of visiting Thailand now?... 

I have many friends from east to west prerty keen to come......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Add to that information a notice from Australian Government that it was unlikely Australian would be reopened before this time next year, not to forget that 75 year olds and upwards do not qualify for Thai Pandemic Insurance.