Thailand’s plan to reopen to vaccinated visitors sparks hope of tourism revival

webfact

4 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

From October.

And why are they quarantining vaccinated people NOW? 

The sooner they get rid of the ridiculous quarantine for vaccinated people the sooner tourists will come back.

If they changed the rules now people would come back now.

They want a large % (70% target) of the local population to be vaccinated before fully opening.  Also currently there are flare ups of covid cases, and they will want to see those numbers go down before fully implementing the planned opening up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fleccer said:

We'll see in the end, how many are really been vaccinated 

But what we haven't seen from you is any evidence that at least 50% don't intend to get vaccinated. Whereas there is plenty of polling data that shows your assertion to be untrue.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mike1967 said:

Clueless wonders. Governments from vaccinated countries don't want their people travelling to Thailand. Why does Thailand think it's calling all the shots? They are lagging behind, laughably so.

Here is a link to the 12 countries that people from the UK are allowed to visit without going into UK quarantine on their return.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57026936

Portugal
Israel
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand
Brunei
Iceland
Gibraltar
Falkland Islands
Faroe Islands
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
St Helena, Tristan de Cunha, Ascension Island

It seems that Thailand didn't make the list this time around.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

why would vaccinated (protected) people would come (go) to an unvaccinated (unprotected) one, why would anybody take that risk

Because after the vaccination the chance of hospitalization and death is next to zero.  The chance of getting infected with mild symptoms is slim. If you want to stay holed up at home the rest of your life, up to you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Here is a link to the 12 countries that people from the UK are allowed to visit without going into UK quarantine on their return.

Portugal
Israel
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand
Brunei
Iceland
Gibraltar
Falkland Islands
Faroe Islands

Exactly my point 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But what we haven't seen from you is any evidence that at least 50% don't intend to get vaccinated. Whereas there is plenty of polling data that shows your assertion to be untrue.

In the US it was the same, but as more people got vaccinated and the unvaccinated saw that it was safe and effective, they changed their minds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Portugal
Israel
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand
Brunei
Iceland
Gibraltar
Falkland Islands
Faroe Islands

Is there any other country besides the UK with these crazy restrictions?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Of course I can be wrong. I believe that the total won't be over 50%.  As I told you we will see at the end. Does it satisfy you, as an answer?

4 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Shockingly you can easily pick up these cards and write on them with a PEN you've had the vaccine - date, batch number, etc I'm shocked beyond horror that the embassy in London was accepting THIS as the sole proof to shorten the quarantine to 7 days. 

Beyond a disgrace. 

In the USA you get a card plus there is a link Vsafe.cdc.gov.  And it will give you all your information 

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Focus Leaders!  Look at the big picture and that is the country as a whole Phuket isn't the sole destination in Thailand, it is nothing but one sandbox.

????

And Phuket is a very small part of the whole country.

5 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Sick of all the 'reopening' talk; just get on with getting their own Population Vaccinated first and then talk about letting Tourists in....that is if they want to come anyway !

They don’t have to actually open. Just talk about it, so that the high powered locals in Phuket don’t get antsy.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

In the USA you get a card plus there is a link Vsafe.cdc.gov.  And it will give you all your information 

I don’t think that site actually links to your data. I was able to create 2 accounts using 2 different birthdays (accident) . You had to manually put in when you got vaccinated and which shot you got. I think you could have typed anything and it would let you create an account.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

I'm in Pattaya, I do not want tourists until me and mine are vaccinated.

I realise this is selfish and unhelpful to the tourism industry.  Sorry. me and mine first, then my social group, my race, my country.....  then the rest. 

I expect flames, but I'm just being honest about my feelings here.  If you don't like this, what's YOUR priority list?  

If you’re that serious about protecting yourself and your partner then why don’t you just pack up and go back to the country you came from and get the vaccine and then come back what is that asking too much

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Is there any other country besides the UK with these crazy restrictions?

I have no idea. As a Brit I was looking purely from a UK point of view.

Try using Google Search and you look at what you want. Then come back and tell us all.

• Like 1

They won’t be seeing the Aussies until late Next year at the earliest.  Qantas have just announced flights won’t resume this year.

Anyway....given all the hoops & hurdles involved I wouldn’t bother going anywhere if the ticket was free.  Couldn’t call it a holiday ,,it’s an ordeal that may or may not even happen. 

The Thais will only see family repatriations & cash strapped retirees looking for cheap living.  Looking at most blogs/forums , the only noise is coming from those groups. 

Working people don’t have the luxury of “sitting out” rescheduled flights . They apply for vacation leave several months in advance & sweat it out wondering IF the flight will even happen.   And while ever the pandemic is floating around the globe Travel Insurance will NOT cover cancellations & expences incurred due to pandemic related events.  

It’s unlikely “scheduled flights” can be relied on.   Most people view Tourism as escapism from the daily stresses of work & suburban life.   The stress of uncertainty & financial risk would far outweigh the benefits of going anywhere in the current debacle. 

Reports from Hong Kong saw travellers taking up to 12 hours to clear airport arrival.  And Hong Kong is generally efficient.  Who would want to sit on a plane for 10 hours in a mask , after 3 more hours boarding drama , then spend another 12 hours in a mask at the other end. 

Good luck selling that......good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Been There said:

Why are vaccinated people still made to wear mask and social distance  ... still not allowed to visit their family  ... Even the manufactures of the vaccine have said it doesn't stop you passing it on, are you calling them liars ?

The reality is that if the vaccinated is told they don’t need to wear masks and social distance, the unvaccinated won’t too. That is very, very dangerous for the unvaccinated.

Vaccine manufacturers didn’t say that it doesn’t stop you from passing it on. They said they don’t know and it is still being studied. Early studies have shown that it does not.

4 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Thailand seems to forget that approval from the HOME country has to be given before tourist travel overseas.  Thailand does not make the decision for opening boarders in other countries. Australia is saying it will open its international border maybe in the 3rd quarter of 22. So TAT can waffle on with all its BS and as usual it will be meaningless.

I think that is ONLY Australia.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have no idea. As a Brit I was looking purely from a UK point of view.

Try using Google Search and you look at what you want. Then come back and tell us all.

Then it is a UK problem and you should complain to your officials and ask why the vaccinated still need to be quarantined coming back!

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Want to bet that you have to be vaccinated fully, have proof in form of certificate, translate certificate into Thai, buy covid insurance, have test 72 hours before and test 5 days after entering Thailand all at your expense

Its going to be .. Certificate of vaccination, COE... And to get that one you need. Valid visa for entry. Place to stay which you decide, Covid insurance for sure, Travel insurance for other ilnesses.. meaning a valid insurance that covers covid which they all will do when thailand is off the red list. A test 72 hours before is possible not maybe not necessary.

More imortantly.. Can you transit in bangkok.. Probably not.. So meaning in the sandboxprogram.. You better have a direct flight to Phuket, Chiang Mai or Krabi or one of the others in the program.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I don’t think that site actually links to your data. I was able to create 2 accounts using 2 different birthdays (accident) . You had to manually put in when you got vaccinated and which shot you got. I think you could have typed anything and it would let you create an account.

When I logged in it asked for my name my date of birth my ZIP Code and my telephone number then you hit submit they will send you a six digit code by text message to your phone you enter it and your information comes up The vaccine you got the date you got it the type of vaccine and the Vin number

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Then it is a UK problem and you should complain to your officials and ask why the vaccinated still need to be quarantined coming back!

Because there are still new variants out there which MAY be more contagious and transmissible. Until there are further studies carried out on those against the current vaccines  (One of the new Indian variants being one) they are not willing to take the risk at this time. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why would anyone would want to come to Thailand now is beyond me, what with all the restrictions, closed venues, rampant Covid everywhere and no end in sigh,t what are the upsides of visiting Thailand now?... 

There are many foreigner who want to see their partners and family again and others with properties and other commitments.

There must a way for them how ever many hoops to jump through.

5 hours ago, robbioff said:

Getting laid? ????

What sort of experience is that? Online the women will worry you have covid. The bars are closed.

What are you doing the other 22 hours in the day? Walking around with a mask on in the heat deciding which closed restaurant or pub to visit.

That's not a holiday.

Why is it that it always seems the only thing that the nation has certain foreigners want is sex?

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

One minute Phuket is happening in July, the next it's not. Have they flippin' decided yet? If so, is it 7 days on the island or 14 ?

If anyone was silly enough to print out or screen shoot these daily gems you would have a hard job identifying Day, Month , and soon Year as to when the same headline has appeared or a contradiction has appeared. Thank God I’m a recovering alcoholic for over 20 years and everything in my life runs on the AA principal of “A Day at a Time”... I can take it without banging my head off the wall ... and not being able to ... well... Bang at all for now ! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Vaccine manufacturers didn’t say that it doesn’t stop you from passing it on. They said they don’t know and it is still being studied. Early studies have shown that it does not.

Real world data from Pfizer and Moderna shows a 90% effectiveness against infection. [Source] Still early days, but the signs are very encouraging for the vaccines preventing transmission.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stuarty said:

You can't arrive in Pattaya from outside thailand without quarantine.

However, that plan hinges on the success of the Phuket Sandbox programme, which is expected to start in July. Under that plan, vaccinated tourists will be allowed to visit Phuket, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Krabi and Pattaya without mandatory quarantine.

Not according to the article if you have read it.