Over to you crypto fanboys

Susco

9 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

as for the hackers, if they wanted to collect their "funds", they had to go eventually to some online exchange, the question is how they were able to "identify" the actual bitcoins in the heist, because in ransomware recovery process, the hacker will ask you to do some back and forth trade confirmations (a minimum of 6 if I remember correctly) to "lose" tracks of the transaction

????‍♂️ you don't even understand how bitcoin works but still have your very important opinion :biggrin:

9 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

Law enforcement agencies have arrested some 800 suspected criminals around the world after thousands of people were tricked into using an encrypted phone app which allowed police to monitor their conversations without their knowledge.

that's same level of idiocity - using some unknown "encrypted" "app" instead of industry standard - Jabber and PGP or OTR.

With the hugely speculative run up in prices lately, there was bound to be a significant correction. This is no surprise. But, to write off crypto due to this correction, is a mistake. In my mind, crypto is not only here to stay, but I think it is fairly safe to say we will see ETH at $20,000 and bitcoin at $200,000, or more, within a few years, at most. Who knows if it can be sustained. But the smart guys are in and out. I do not know too many smart guys who are investing in anything long term anymore. Everything has shifted.

There is too little trust in the banking system, the spectacularly corrupt IMF and World Bank, and governments, for crypto to not continue it's upward trend, long term. 

And as far as Musk goes, who is he? Remind me. And why is everything he says so relevant to so many?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

But the smart guys are in and out. I do not know too many smart guys who are investing in anything long term anymore. Everything has shifted.

It's all relative.  Everyone I know who has done well with crypto (given, it's a relatively short time frame with 12 years being 'long term') have mostly stayed put with their invested capital, only cashing in periodically for the tangible things that they wanted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

that's same level of idiocity - using some unknown "encrypted" "app" instead of industry standard - Jabber and PGP or OTR.

you think the FBI hasn't infiltrated those apps yet? remember SilkRoad and how safe it was? ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

????‍♂️ you don't even understand how bitcoin works but still have your very important opinion :biggrin:

I do, but the question is do you? you claim those hackers were amateurs, they weren't, they were highly respected in the blackhat world and they knew their stuff. To think they got owned so easily by the FBI should be raising alarms, instead of being defensive and making up stories about them being amateurs.

6 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

To think they got owned so easily by the FBI should be raising alarms, instead of being defensive and making up stories about them being amateurs.

I sort of agree with this. It's not right to automatically dismiss news that contradicts what you'd like to believe. The hackers were able to successfully shut down a major piece of American infrastructure and extract a ransom. That's not nothing and it seems wrong to call them amateurs. So if the FBI picked up their private keys, that's something work looking into more.

In this case it turned out to be not a hack of BTC or a wallet, but that's besides the point. Gotta think critically and with nuance about all information. Only way to be a great investor.

20 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

I do, but the question is do you? you claim those hackers were amateurs, they weren't, they were highly respected in the blackhat world and they knew their stuff. To think they got owned so easily by the FBI should be raising alarms, instead of being defensive and making up stories about them being amateurs.

You're clearly one of those ex-NSA types who happens to hangout in the Rainbow 2 bar (not sure if that's still a thing) because it's low profile.   (YOU don't know, but I know... because IMA experienced and in the know)

2 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

I sort of agree with this. It's not right to automatically dismiss news that contradicts what you'd like to believe. The hackers were able to successfully shut down a major piece of American infrastructure and extract a ransom. That's not nothing and it seems wrong to call them amateurs. So if the FBI picked up their private keys, that's something work looking into more.

In this case it turned out to be not a hack of BTC or a wallet, but that's besides the point. Gotta think critically and with nuance about all information. Only way to be a great investor.

Well, in these cases likely none of us (at least here on TV) really know.   Ross Ulbricht thought it was a good idea to work from the public library.   

2 minutes ago, Heng said:

You're clearly one of those ex-NSA types who happens to hangout in the Rainbow 2 bar (not sure if that's still a thing) because it's low profile.   (YOU don't know, but I know... because IMA experienced and in the know)

hahaha, knowing how bitcoins work is hardly an accomplishment in itself, it's actually easy to understand. What is more amazing is how many people do not understand how it works or what it is for, and still buy them or promote them blindly ????

Edited by GrandPapillon

17 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

hahaha, knowing how bitcoins work is hardly an accomplishment in itself, it's actually easy to understand. What is more amazing is how many people do not understand how it works or what is it for, and still buy them ????

Not a reference to btc.   It's a reference to you clearly knowing more about these hackers than the rest of us.   They were so good and well respected, they knew their stuff like I do....

Edited by Heng
grammar

2 minutes ago, Heng said:

Not a reference to btc.   It's a reference to you clearly knowing more about these hackers than the rest of us.   They were so good and well respected, they knew their stuff l like do....

well maybe you can share your insight if you have info that those hackers were indeed amateurs, I only got the news that they were "famous" and "well respected" from a security news website, hardly NSA Rainbow 2 bar talk ????

1 minute ago, GrandPapillon said:

well maybe you can share your insight if you have info that those hackers were indeed amateurs, I only got the news that they were "famous" and "well respected" from a security news website, hardly NSA Rainbow 2 bar talk ????

I have zero insight into this case or the individuals involved.   What I do see is the market absorbing this news tidbit as a non issue.   Two threats to blockchain, BTC, and crypto in general:  governments and hackers.   Plenty of examples of hackers vs. individuals and exchanges... no real examples yet of government success (bans are simply bypassed annoyances).   

14 minutes ago, Heng said:

Well, in these cases likely none of us (at least here on TV) really know.   Ross Ulbricht thought it was a good idea to work from the public library.   

Is this in reference to them being amateurs? I guess that depends on your definition. They clearly had the skills to pull off the headline portion of the hack. If they messed up or were sloppy on the back end, I agree that's something that I, at least, wouldn't know.

I briefly looked it up yesterday and consensus seemed to be that they'd rented a cloud server to store their info on, which is what the FBI got access to (rather than directly to their wallet). I'm not a hacker and have no idea if renting a cloud server is considered a rookie move in that community - I was mostly pleased to see that wallets and protocol were not directly compromised.

2 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Is this in reference to them being amateurs? I guess that depends on your definition. They clearly had the skills to pull off the headline portion of the hack. If they messed up or were sloppy on the back end, I agree that's something that I, at least, wouldn't know.

I briefly looked it up yesterday and consensus seemed to be that they'd rented a cloud server to store their info on, which is what the FBI got access to (rather than directly to their wallet). I'm not a hacker and have no idea if renting a cloud server is considered a rookie move in that community - I was mostly pleased to see that wallets and protocol were not directly compromised.

My take is that we don't really know their level of paranoia for personal security (it can vary as much as the risk tolerance of race car drivers as a whole).   I don't think anyone who can shut down a pipeline isn't technically capable, but that's just one part of it all.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

you think the FBI hasn't infiltrated those apps yet? remember SilkRoad and how safe it was? ????

please stop spreading nonsense and do you research before posting bullshít.

Jabber and PGP are not "apps" but an industry standards in security and there were no backdoors found for decades since their inception.

Silkroad was not safe and its creator failed his OPSEC really hard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

1 hour ago, The Cipher said:

The hackers were able to successfully shut down a major piece of American infrastructure and extract a ransom. That's not nothing and it seems wrong to call them amateurs.

these hackers could be considered "professional" or "highly respected" only by those who do not understand a thing in informational technologies or informational security.

they have shut down a major piece of American infrastructure only because they were lucky enough that their phishing emails were opened and the attached malware was clicked on by the dumb Colonial Pipelines employee.

• Thanks 1

I briefly looked it up yesterday and consensus seemed to be that they'd rented a cloud server to store their info on, which is what the FBI got access to (rather than directly to their wallet).

I've attached a PDF several posts above - FBI in fact got access to their online wallet, not to their server.

2 hours ago, The Cipher said:

well, how could the FBI make the link between the bitcoins and those "clouded" servers is also an interesting question. How deep is the data to recover that kind of information. Criminals should start planning plan B, but they aren't always very smart with planning their future ????

58 minutes ago, fdsa said:

these hackers could be considered "professional" or "highly respected" only by those who do not understand a thing in informational technologies or informational security.

they have shut down a major piece of American infrastructure only because they were lucky enough that their phishing emails were opened and the attached malware was clicked on by the dumb Colonial Pipelines employee.

most successful hack are "social" by definition, some idiot downloading the wrong file

I think you are over-estimating your abilities here, being a bit IT naive for a secure solution. Nothing is secure. Period.

51 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I've no info or expertise on this, so am not qualified to render an opinion on their skill.

54 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I've attached a PDF several posts above - FBI in fact got access to their online wallet, not to their server.

the FBI said they didn't reveal their MO, so not sure where you got your info or if that PDF is not a lure to "trick" hackers wannabees ????

I've no info or expertise on this, so am not qualified to render an opinion on their skill.

That doesn't seem to be stopping the resident armchair "experts" from airing their opinions. Substance went out the window 2 or 3 posts after the OP; so by all means feel free to weigh in ????

4 hours ago, mjnaus said:

That doesn't seem to be stopping the resident armchair "experts" from airing their opinions. Substance went out the window 2 or 3 posts after the OP; so by all means feel free to weigh in ????

Better not. I wouldn't want other bright people to look at my posts the way I look the posts of some other forum participants. Would be bad for the brand ????.

• Like 2