Are Negative Covid test results required when transiting planes?

wasabi

My wife and I received our negative Covid test result today from Bangkok hospital. We'll use these to board our plane leaving from BKK - SFO. However the plane makes a stop in Narita airport in Japan before continuing on to San Francisco, CA. Do transit airports typically require seeing the negative results a 2nd time or are you good to go all the way to your destination once you board the plane at the origin, in this case Bangkok.

Edited by wasabi

Japan doesn't even require a negative covid test to transit.  They won't ask for it there.

However, you will very likely be asked for the test result in SFO as soon as you get off the plane, so keep it handy.

• Like 1

Yes, heading back to Tokyo tomorrow from Guam. Almost all airlines that a passenger connects to will require the test results as well. Some airlines such as Emirates do not require one for UAE nationals until they arrive in Dubai. Please make additional copies in case they elect to kept one. 

On 5/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, Phillip9 said:

Japan doesn't even require a negative covid test to transit.  They won't ask for it there.

However, you will very likely be asked for the test result in SFO as soon as you get off the plane, so keep it handy.

Sorry dude. Almost all carriers that one transits to will request it in Tokyo as well and it must be 72 hours before the connecting flight, not the original one. All carriers that I noticed at the transit desk in Tokyo last month were requesting it also. 

Our test results are time stamped 8:00 a.m. on the 16th. Our flight leaves Bangkok 7:00 a.m. tomorrow the 17th and arrives in Tokyo 6 hours later. So I believe that'll be around 54 hours later. 3 hour layover then 9 more hours to get back to San Francisco. That'll take us to 67 hours which fits within 72 however USA requires 3 days not 72 hours so it can be any time on the 19th. Obviously I hope no significant delays.

• Like 1

According to the ANA website (I assume you're flying either ANA or JAL), "Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo inspections." This assumes you're transiting in one airport, not transferring between Haneda and Narita. 

I flew to to the US three weeks ago on Qatar. I had to show my negative Covid lab report in Bangkok and again upon arrival in the US. As long as your flights are ticketed on one itinerary, you only need a test 3 days before departure from BKK (e.g., a Friday flight means you can be tested on Tues, Wed, or Thur). 

2 hours ago, Biffski said:

Sorry dude. Almost all carriers that one transits to will request it in Tokyo as well and it must be 72 hours before the connecting flight, not the original one. All carriers that I noticed at the transit desk in Tokyo last month were requesting it also. 

It could be a requirement of the carrier, and it could be a requirement of the country where the transit is happening.

Also can depend on whether your luggage is booked through for the whole journey, or is it a transit at an airport where you have to claim your luggage and go through passport, then check-in again and go through passport to continue the next sector.

49 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

According to the ANA website (I assume you're flying either ANA or JAL), "Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo inspections." This assumes you're transiting in one airport, not transferring between Haneda and Narita. 

I flew to to the US three weeks ago on Qatar. I had to show my negative Covid lab report in Bangkok and again upon arrival in the US. As long as your flights are ticketed on one itinerary, you only need a test 3 days before departure from BKK (e.g., a Friday flight means you can be tested on Tues, Wed, or Thur). 

Did they keep your covid test results in Bangkok or just look at them? If they kept them what did you show the custom officers in the USA?

1 hour ago, wasabi said:

3 hour layover then 9 more hours to get back to San Francisco. That'll take us to 67 hours which fits within 72 however USA requires 3 days not 72 hours so it can be any time on the 19th. Obviously I hope no significant delays.

The only requirement is 3 days before departure.  

Here is the official cdc link.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Don't worry.  

3 hours ago, Biffski said:

All carriers that I noticed at the transit desk in Tokyo last month were requesting it also. 

What was you scenario?  Did you change carriers and have to get a boarding pass in Tokyo?  Thats like checking in again, so I can see why they would check it in that rare scenario.

If you are flying the same carrier and get all boarding passes in BKK, you don't even go to the transit desk.

3 days, not 72 hours.  Big difference.  Check the CDC website.

3 hours ago, wasabi said:

Did they keep your covid test results in Bangkok or just look at them? If they kept them what did you show the custom officers in the USA?

They won't keep it.  Customs in the US will accept an electronic version of the test result.  Take a picture of it with your phone for a backup if you are worried.

Relax, your trip will go fine. 

9 hours ago, wasabi said:

No, the Qatar airline staff used a phone to take a picture of my Covid lab report. I had printed two copies so I would have had a spare lab report if needed. I received my report as an email attachment so I had printed two copies just in case. 

In Bangkok they did collect the CDC attestation form. You can pre-print/fill it out before you get to the airport or complete it when checking in. 

3 x 24 =72. Explain. 

U. S. CDC: 

Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?

The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 4:14 AM, DFPhuket said:

I flew to to the US three weeks ago on Qatar. I had to show my negative Covid lab report in Bangkok and again upon arrival in the US. As long as your flights are ticketed on one itinerary, you only need a test 3 days before departure from BKK (e.g., a Friday flight means you can be tested on Tues, Wed, or Thur)

We made it back to the USA. Covid test results were checked in Bangkok and Japan but not when we entered the United States. That might be because I pre-uploaded them to United and we have global Entry but I'm not sure. No one kept any of The originals they just looked at them.

Already got first Pfizer jab with a walk-in appointment. People still generally wearing masks in California but no temperature checks or stupid scans and sign in sheets to go anywhere. Good to be back

Edited by wasabi