Thailand reports first local cases of virus variant first found in India

webfact

15 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Construction workers... read Burmese and Cambodian workers! I mean, the new variant didn't get to Thailand on 2 legs and these workers are most likely not subjected to 14 days quarantine when they cross the border... In the end it all comes down to the greed of the construction companies!

I thought all Burmese and Cambodian migrant workers would be quarantining for 2 weeks at luxury hotels?

Increasing the quarantine period to 4 weeks for vaccinated Western tourists should stop this happening again. The previous increase from 1 week to 2 weeks was obviously not effective.

Edited by nkg
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Or maybe it's the Thai governments half-hearted attempts at protecting everyone here. Foreigners have to be tested and have certificates before boarding a Thai-bound plane, but an infected Thai national can board and get tested on arrival? It only takes one 'Thai hi-so aerosol' who is above being tested and quarantined to start the spread of any new strain.

if all Foreigners have to be tested before they fly  how come 53 foreigners had covid-19 as was announce 3 days ago when tested in Thailand something is not RIGHT here? glad i was not on that Plane

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

One should not make the mistake of assuming presence of the Indian variant means the COVID outbreak in the country will resemble that of India.

There are some country-specific factors at play in India: extreme crowding, and a public health system that is dysfunctional at the best of times.

Neither is true of Thailand in general, though there are some vulnerable sub-population to whom it applies (prisoners, migrants etc). 

The Indian variant is already in 44 countries and not wrecking the same degree of havoc in most of them that it is in India.

While it is true that the "Indian variant" is more infectious than the original viral strain it is not clear how much more infectious it is (if at all) than the so-called "UK strain" already prevalent here. Also not yet  clear if it is any more lethal.

there is nothing to stop it until you get lot of people vaccinated this is the main concern in the UK and USA at this time

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow. It has arrived.  Let's be safe and ensure we isolate those locations where it was found.  Take care folks and be safe.  Looks like the ride has hit turbulence 

this virus the India one was found on the 12 MAY. A lady with 3 kids arrived from Pakistan. so much for testing before you get on Plane

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

well there goes June, July and August. My doctor at Bumrungrad said not to stay in Bangkok so I am leaving. 

at least I live in Hua Hin which is like being on maximum lockdown all the time, so not missing much. 

why do you say that about Hua Hin?

the only things locked down here are the bars, gyms, entertainment venues etc

only partial lock down, and will probably be lifted in June

can freely go to the beach, park, restaurants, coffee shops, malls

Whats the problem here in HH?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, irishman25 said:

this virus the India one was found on the 12 MAY. A lady with 3 kids arrived from Pakistan. so much for testing before you get on Plane

and so much for quarantine!!!

clearly not working

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow. It has arrived.  Let's be safe and ensure we isolate those locations where it was found.  Take care folks and be safe.  Looks like the ride has hit turbulence 

It’s the plane with all the rich Indians TAT has had flying about for past 18 months .. They brought it in .. Must have been “;0)

• Thanks 1

well there goes June, July and August. My doctor at Bumrungrad said not to stay in Bangkok so I am leaving. 

at least I live in Hua Hin which is like being on maximum lockdown all the time, so not missing much. 

It's not over until you hear the fat girl sing.... Hua Hin has many.????

Feel sorry for the Thai people as their government let them down big time. They had over a year to ramp up and try to secure a vaccine before all of this started (for the third time). It was eventually going to hit them as the virus doesn’t care if you are Thai or anyone else. 

Europe, the UK, US had no years long warning and had to fight their way out of the box. While Thailand  sat Idly by and did the hear no evil, see no evil thing. Too late now. What would have happened if this was a killer like smallpox or the plague? This really shows why places are called first world countries and third world countries.

Not very responsible of you and your doctor. Moving around can and does spread covid. Everybody should stay the <deleted> where they are and especially stay away from Pattaya. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what I have been reading it effects the young more than the old so where are all the good vaccines for the young and old? Still coming soon?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Vaccinations take time and are no guarantee. How much damage could have been avoided with a hard lockdown of 7-10 days after the Thong Lor spread which was exacerbated by the complete opposite of a lockdown with Songkran. They want tourism to open up but do stupid things like this. Vaccines are part but not the whole answer here.  

Pipat thinks it is the only answer.

He firmly believes that vaccinations cure all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Twenty-one more cases of the Indian variant of COVID-19 have been found among construction workers staying at a Laksi worker housing facility, raising the Indian variant cases to 36 so far.

Well they got India into Thailand... just not the variation they intended.

Not the high spenders but the super spreaders.

Edited by hotchilli

18 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Construction workers... read Burmese and Cambodian workers! I mean, the new variant didn't get to Thailand on 2 legs and these workers are most likely not subjected to 14 days quarantine when they cross the border...

especially not in cases where illegal border - crossing is / was officially "sanctioned"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, poskat said:

the likely government response will be to put more roadblocks in the way of importing and providing any vaccines other than the beloved sinovac and the regal vaccine

the profits and brown envelopes must flow....

Evidence for this statement please.

Yes l was hoping, a variant that wouldnt reach Thailand ,so now its more important to carry out the recommendations.. Wear a  mask in company outside your home, 

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Pipat thinks it is the only answer.

He firmly believes that vaccinations cure all.

I had my pla Ra, Thai Chili, and Nam pla Vinegar sauce drink to kill off Covid, of course a witch doctor gave it to me as he placed a curse on Covid.  Now with my amulets, and sak yant tattoos I am bullet proof, oh I forgot my head is shaved, my eyebrows too, and I am wearing that robe while chanting the Rattanasoot Prayer the Good general Prayut has made mandatory.......

This post is dripping with sarcasm, as the indian variant slowly and silently moves around from house to house. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no reason at all to imagine these sorts of conspiracies and cover ups.

These clusters are being announced when and as found.

One could certainly criticize  the government for  not being more proactive in screening these places/populations.  But they aren't concealing known cases. They wouldn't be able to if they tried, and they aren't trying.

For months back when there were no reported cases the conspiracy minded insisted there were cases but the government would never acknowledge it. Then when they started reporting dozens of cases the same people claimed there was a "cap" and the government would never report more than 100 cases, no matter how many there really were. Then same claim about 1,000, then about 2,000. It is all nonsense.

How do the prison cases fit into the context you describe above? Those cases were well known about by authorities weeks before the numbers were realeased to the press/public and were only released under duress.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I had my pla Ra, Thai Chili, and Nam pla Vinegar sauce drink to kill off Covid, of course a witch doctor gave it to me as he placed a curse on Covid.  Now with my amulets, and sak yant tattoos I am bullet proof, oh I forgot my head is shaved, my eyebrows too, and I am wearing that robe while chanting the Rattanasoot Prayer the Good general Prayut has made mandatory.......

This post is dripping with sarcasm, as the indian variant slowly and silently moves around from house to house. 

And it's only 08:30.... good man.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

UK data is very much suggesting the vaccines used there (I believe mainly AZ and Pfizer) are effective against the India variant... but it is a frightening scenario that a more contagious variant, that these vaccines have no impact on, could come along, spread and put us back 2 years into the dark places we have been. It is very apparent that most of the world absolutely cannot create the conditions where it will not spread. Covid has yet to be taken seriously enough. I think Oz and Nz show us a way.... but even in those countries, a more sneaky variant with a longer asymptomatic incubation could do damage there. 

even if everyone gets vaccinated it's a matter of time before a new more deadly coronavirus appears, separate from covid-19

perhaps more deadly, we'll see

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

UK data is very much suggesting the vaccines used there (I believe mainly AZ and Pfizer) are effective against the India variant... but it is a frightening scenario that a more contagious variant, that these vaccines have no impact on, could come along, spread and put us back 2 years into the dark places we have been. It is very apparent that most of the world absolutely cannot create the conditions where it will not spread. Covid has yet to be taken seriously enough. I think Oz and Nz show us a way.... but even in those countries, a more sneaky variant with a longer asymptomatic incubation could do damage there. 

Singapore using Pfizer and moderna but still people get infected by the B1617 variant. When they say effective it mean reduce but not 100% prevent. The 1 breakthrough infection was enough to spread to 100 in a matter of two weeks in Singapore. 

• Like 1