A couple arrested for the poisoning death of nine villagers

geovalin

Kampot police have arrested a couple, rice wine producers after nine villagers reportedly died from suspected methanol-laced wine, with more than 30 people being hospitalised in Kampong Trach district.

Provincial police chief Major General Mao Chanthurith said the police arrested two people for questioning, while the wine sample was tested.

He said that the arrest was made because nine villagers died of suspected tainted rice wine they consumed at a funeral in Thnong village, Russei Khang Koeut commune, Kampong Trach district. The provincial health officials are looking into the cause of the deaths.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50861828/a-couple-arrested-for-the-poisoning-death-of-nine-villagers/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Not so sure its mass murder, its just that people want cheap alcohol. Sometimes that means bad production methods. The drug alcohol is not without dangers. Murder implies intent, i think that is not the case here. Either greed or negligence. 

The article suggests methanol was added. Lethal!

Methanol can be inadvertently produced in traditional fermenting processes, though not perhaps to this extent.  Kind of scary:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5028366/

Distilled beverages can avoid most of it if the methanol is distilled off before the ethanol.  Better living through chemistry? 

Edited by Damrongsak

11 hours ago, RobU said:

Same thing happened in Europe a few years ago wine (I think it was German) was laced with methanol caused blindness and death

this was a big story last year in Cancun Mexico I believe, they were doing the same thing there selling tainted alcohol to bars and several cases of deaths reported as a result..

• Thanks 1