What Can Visa Agent do?

4 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

very very few people have, and will be in that position. 

I was in that position, my friend was also, and possibly most people whose passport was on the desk of the Agent...

• Like 1

My first extension 2020, fresh off a 10-year job with an NGO with a special visa that didn't require a WP, I used an agent for extension not because I might not qualify. No, I had all the funds yadda yadda but because it was the first time, my visa was unusual and I was afraid I might screw up. Sure enough there was a glitch with the paperwork which the agent sorted out with IO.

Early this year I did it myself smooth as silk. I would say use an agent if

(a) if it's your first time in which case stick like a puppy with the fellow and watch the procedure..

(b) if you are underqualified (funds?). Of course.

(c) you don't care to spend time putting together paperwork and spending half a day getting to and at the IO, and you give a rat's a**s for 10k b. (good for you).

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I was in that position, my friend was also, and possibly most people whose passport was on the desk of the Agent...

Ok, please give us the complete story.

why you and your mate had to use an agent,  as it was the only way.

like i said very few people do, but some do for sure.

full story please, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. please.

Ps after 22 years here, i ave only met one person that had to use an agent.

and that was because he did something illegal.

Edited by Orinoco

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

You need an agent only if you are bone idle or do not have, or want to have the required money in the bank. But they usually get an extension from another province, which whatever they or others tell you can be problematic if you subsequently turn up at your real immigration office on a DIY basis

Ok, so I was not clear enough for one of the readers.

So I meant that, 'Not want to have the required money in the bank', that is NOT TRUE. I was told point blank at the IO, that I could have all the million bahts in the bank, I just could not do it on my own, Then these words, 'Go see an Agent, he will fix it up for you.

And they usually get an extension from another province, that is 'Not always true'. But your wording indicated that also, using the word 'Usually'.

The latter is conditional to the location of the Agent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Ok, please give us the complete story.

why you and your mate had to use an agent,  as it was the only way.

like i said very few people do, but some do for sure.

full story please, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. please.

Well, I did do that in a previous forum on the same subject. Perhaps I could find the personal message PM and forward it

• Sad 1

Just now, Andre0720 said:

Well, I did do that in a previous forum on the same subject. Perhaps I could find the personal message PM and forward it

come on, lets have it, here and now.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Sad 1

I’ve done all the paperwork myself for 4-5 years now on extension based on retirement. I’ve got the funds. I don’t want to complain with all the little details about the 90 day system and staff training yada yada you know the details but the little stuff is just starting to get to me. I wouldn’t mind paying extra to avoid treking to CW so often. Maybe I just need to hire a driver with a nice car. I really had the feeling this year they were trying to tell me to use an agent. I am just curious if there is a service that can make it easier even if you are doing everything by the rules. 

Edited by FatVern
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, FatVern said:

I’ve got the funds. I don’t want to complain with all the little details about the 90 day system and staff training yada yada you know the details but the little stuff is just starting to get to me.

Is it just the 90 days that you need ??...many agents do that--and most agents included it in the price if you want the full Visa..... in Issan the agent just takes 200 baht for the 90 day, but nothing if your doing the full visa....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chang50 said:

One thing an agent might do for you is take your money and not provide a legitimate visa you wouldn't be the first it happened to.

Nah, it's actually harder to make fake visa stamps and risk the shirt hitting the fan and going to prison than to slip a few k to an IO and do it right. And you're always welcome to tag along with the agent. I did and watched the IO go stampy stampy on my PP.

Of course, if you're a deportee who's snuck back or have a noisy rap sheet then you need a hard man. In which case shame on you.

Edited by Why Me

2 hours ago, Why Me said:

My first extension 2020, fresh off a 10-year job with an NGO with a special visa that didn't require a WP, I used an agent for extension not because I might not qualify. No, I had all the funds yadda yadda but because it was the first time, my visa was unusual and I was afraid I might screw up. Sure enough there was a glitch with the paperwork which the agent sorted out with IO.

Early this year I did it myself smooth as silk. I would say use an agent if

(a) if it's your first time in which case stick like a puppy with the fellow and watch the procedure..

(b) if you are underqualified (funds?). Of course.

(c) you don't care to spend time putting together paperwork and spending half a day getting to and at the IO, and you give a rat's a**s for 10k b. (good for you).

(c) for me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fishtank said:

You don't need an agent unless you do not qualify for the extension you want.

Then it will be dodgy or illegal.

its not a case of 'need' its a case of 'want'. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Why Me said:

99.9% agents aren't dodgy. They simply "tip" an IO they know to smooth the proceedings. The end product is as legit as if you did it yourself.

Gotta be rich to get it. 10k/20k is peanuts to some folk. They are happy to pay to be at a golf course instead of in a line.

Ok if they can sleep at night.

I can because I do it myself and know it is legit.

Also if you cannot give up an hour once a year you have a problem.

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Dont sit in judgement, people use agents for a variety of reasons. Many simply for less stress and hassle. Before anyone jumps in and says "what stress and hassle" then you are very lucky and leave it at that. Many do get stressed, many get a bumpy ride through no fault of their own. Some just cant be doing with the stress through uncertainty. If people choose to use an Agent, thats their perigative and their own personal reasons. No one should sit in judgement, each to their own.

Most use agents to circumvent the rules.

You know it and I know it.

I will say again if you cannot give up an hour of your time once a year to apply for an extension.................

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Ok if they can sleep at night.

I can because I do it myself and know it is legit.

Also if you cannot give up an hour once a year you have a problem.

an hour?  Often much more than one hour. 

• Like 2

Just now, Pilotman said:

Queueing outside in 34 degrees and 80% humidity,  IOs who don't know the rules and make new ones up on the hoof, a long drive to the immigration office and back, producing reams of  paperwork in  24 hours, having lots of better things to do with my time; just some of the reasons why  

One hour a year.

Not difficult is it?

I have been using different Immigration Offices for over 18 years and have never come across the conditions you mentioned above.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It varies according to the agent. Contrary to some opinions on TVF, they are not all crooked and illegal, in fact, very few are.  I use an agent to do the paperwork and legwork for me, for extensions, Entry Permits and Certificates of Residence, if I need one.  I still meet the legal requirements for an extension, I just stay clear of the Immigration Office, the queuing and the almost inevitable hassle. Using an agent also ensures that you will not be faced with a last minute issue with the paperwork, with an IO who is just having  a bad day. In my view, its well worth the cost and removes from me any stress that  I may be feeling as the extension day approaches. 

Even if using an agent, it is the law to be there in person. If an agent can get you one without you being there, they are breaking the law - use at your own risk. 

• Like 1