I Double Masked My Face ... And I Liked It!

Jingthing

6 minutes ago, supersomchai said:

I thought my ffp2 and n95 masks were good till i got FIT tested in my local hospital (compulsory in uk if you work in hospital).

They tried 7 different ffp3 top end masks on me 6 failed and only 1 protected (fitted me correctly)me a GVS ff3 rd mask.

The way they test you is by putting a large airtight hood over you( while you are wearing your test mask)

and spray an odor into the hood and if you can smell or taste it the mask fails as it leaks.if you cant smell taste it the mask passes for you.

Then this mask is safe to wear around people with covid.

The bottom line is our faces are all different shapes and not all masks fit individual faces.

So double masking is a very good way to get round this problem.But not %100.

Ill be wearing my hospital mask when i fly to thailand this weekend.

problem is do you eat and drink on the plane and take your mask off

....problem???

These new masks I just got take a bit of time to fit.  Not easy.  But once done, like none of the other masks I've used over the past year or so.

1 hour ago, davemos said:

New findings reported Tuesday in a University of Louisville study challenge what has been the prevailing belief that mask mandates are necessary to slow the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus. The study notes that "80% of US states mandated masks during the COVID-19 pandemic" and while "mandates induced greater mask compliance, [they] did not predict lower growth rates when community spread was low (minima) or high (maxima)." Among other things, the study—conducted using data from the CDC covering multiple seasons—reports that "mask mandates and use are not associated with lower SARS-CoV-2 spread among US states."

A link would have been nice.  Really, it isn't hard to do!  https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.18.21257385v1 

I looked through the non-peer reviewed pre-print study and I'll wager it never gets published.  It's riddled with problems.

One of the big ones is that it completely ignores any analysis of population density on mask mandates.  The only thing it does say about density is this:

Prior studies have conflicted on whether masks reduce SARS-CoV-2 transmission. For USS Theodore Roosevelt crew, reported mask use was lower among COVID-19 cases (56% vs. 81%) [2]. There were no infections for 47.9% of patrons of two hair stylists with COVID-19 with universal masking [6], but PCR tests were not obtained for the other 52.1% of patrons [6], and first wave COVID-19 hospitalizations were no higher in public schools (high density with minimal masking) than elsewhere in Sweden [7].

Another issue is that the pre-print study you cite says this:

A recent study reported negative association between statewide mask mandates and subsequent COVID-19 log growth rates [15].

Well I looked up that footnoted study (HTML / PDF) and it actually says the opposite of what the authors of your cited study claim it says.... (emphasis added) 

Mask mandates were associated with statistically significant decreases in county-level daily COVID-19 case and death growth rates within 20 days of implementation.  Allowing on-premises restaurant dining was associated with increases in county-level case and death growth rates within 41–80 days after reopening.

This kind of egregious error (unintentional or not) should make people very weary of the quality of the pre-printed study you brought to the conversation.

Finally, the study that I link to provides the following data about mask mandates and dine-in eating at restaurants, a variable can have huge impact on the data that your study completely ignores.  This table nicely summarizes the data:

image.thumb.png.6eafc82642049670d7b70712db682e5b.png

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Kinda hard to compare smoke with droplets.  Just doesn't work.

I agree that smoke isn't the same as the virus, but the video does still show how leaky surgical and procedure masks are generally.  What I'd love to see is a video that shows exhalation with surgical masks vs N95 masks.  I haven't been able to find such a video.

After 5 minutes if at all active (e.g. pushing empty shopping trolley or walking) I find breathing difficult with even one mask, let alone 2, even if just a surgical mask. With 2 i would be gasping and mainly breathing through my mouth...

6 hours ago, asiacurious said:

A link would have been nice.  Really, it isn't hard to do!  https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.18.21257385v1 

I looked through the non-peer reviewed pre-print study and I'll wager it never gets published.  It's riddled with problems.

One of the big ones is that it completely ignores any analysis of population density on mask mandates.  The only thing it does say about density is this:

Another issue is that the pre-print study you cite says this:

Well I looked up that footnoted study (HTML / PDF) and it actually says the opposite of what the authors of your cited study claim it says.... (emphasis added) 

This kind of egregious error (unintentional or not) should make people very weary of the quality of the pre-printed study you brought to the conversation.

Finally, the study that I link to provides the following data about mask mandates and dine-in eating at restaurants, a variable can have huge impact on the data that your study completely ignores.  This table nicely summarizes the data:

image.thumb.png.6eafc82642049670d7b70712db682e5b.png

Time line old <deleted> from you .Tuesday update 

On 5/25/2021 at 9:59 PM, tifino said:

besides, the sheer bulk in having two cascaded N95 masks with valves, would be, well...   

You won't get protection with double N95s (or double rubbers, for that matter!). But EVERY doc & dentist I've seen double masks. Just do it! It's going to be dangerous here for a long time yet.