Koh Samui: Three British pensioners, one other, arrested with Thais for illegal drinking

webfact

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

be aware.. there are rules were you never heard from anywhere in the world, so

So bars, pubs, beauty salons, etc., have not been closed as a result of Covid restrictions anywhere apart from Thailand?  Perhaps it's just you who's never heard of them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, pattjock said:

Ignorance of the law is never a valid defense. But if the law is not published to the public, in languages that the public can understand, there is no valid reason for punishment.

In all civilized countries the current rules are published, in a multitude of languages, in various well known media. In Thailand it's in Thai, If you can find the original source of the information.

Any important messages in Thailand should at least be published in Thai, Lao, Cambodian, Myanmar, Malaysian and English language. Most European countries publish everything in 15 to 20 languages.

What are you talking about?   Covid restrictions that relate to these Britons covering closure of bars and banning of the sale of alcohol has been widely reported in all the English language media.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Can't say they were not warned.

Hope they don't get  in too much trouble, much more of this nonsense Thai authorities are likely to select a few  foreign scofflaws to "take some prisoners".  

They "took some Thai prisoners", also.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BestB said:

Ok. Irrespective of my beliefs , law is the law, so if one breaks it then tough luck . But problem I have is why make arrests and such a fuss. This is not criminal offence . So you caught them breaking the news law, issue them with fines on the spot and end of story .

why turn it into a circus ? 

when big P was caught not wearing a mask , he was not arrested or detained , but simply issued with a fine , why this any different ?

"This is not criminal offence".

Yes, it is.

"why turn it into a circus ?"

To remind people that, during Covid restrictions, it is a criminal offence. 

"when big P was caught not wearing a mask , he was not arrested or detained , but simply issued with a fine , why this any different ?"

Prayut was not caught drinking alcohol illegally in a bar, he, in effect, turned himself in, solely for not wearing a mask.   No similarity with these OAPs' case.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Crime of the century, 3 old men drinking beer.

3 old men drinking beer, illegally, during Covid restrictions, in a bar that was illegally serving alcohol, to be accurate.   Should they not have to comply with the law like the rest of us have to?

And a  group of Thais arrested separately, also, for the same offence.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Ventenio said:

That first picture is hilarious............says 10,000,000 words

the guy in red is saying :

"bloke, you told us mates we could have a beer in Thailand!!   This is your fault, and now my missus is calling asking about the guy at the other end of the couch!!!"

He continues, "If there is a fine, you are paying it!!!  It was your mate's job to look out for the coppers.....now I'm in the Daily Mail, front page!!"

It's funny....

The moon has exploded, the Sun turned Blue, aliens have invaded........

all those stories scrapped....

deported!!!!!!!!  I won't rest until justice!!!!!!

Thinking along the same lines , chap in the red is saying ' See you Jimmy , all I wanted was a few bevvies , but no , 20 bottles of Chang and 1 ladyboy you came along with , now look we are criminals yer useless old barstaff '.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

List of major crimes

Homicide

Assault

Robbery

Rape

Drug Dealing

Human Trafficking

Arson

Kidnapping

Thai police making life safer for everyone by apprehending and arresting three elderly men for drinking.  I feel so much safer now. 

Did it say that while these four idiots were being arrested at that bar there were no other police attending to all the murders, assaults, rapes, etc. that you seem to think were happening?

• Sad 4

The bars can not serve alcohol. My guess is that one of the oldies have an interest in that bar. Then sitting there and two friends comes along. Its easey and <deleted> happends. Could have be me. But the law is the law. Stupid yes..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you telling us you have not had a drink and not met up with any friends for the past 3 or 4 months ????

Are you telling us that you have met up with friends for drinks in bars that were supposed to be closed due to Covid restrictions, which is what this is about? 

It's not about having a drink at home which is perfectly legal.

• Sad 3

44 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

They have been in Samui for years nothing to o with UK variant Mr. do-gooder i suppose you have never done one thing wrong yourself. 

What did they do wrong then ? Do tell.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Unlike Bangkok where the BIB share a drink in the few bars that are open

You mean the bars/restaurants that are allowed to be open right now?  Something wrong with that?  By the way, not everyone drinks alcohol n bars/restaurants.

5 hours ago, pattjock said:

Ignorance of the law is never a valid defense. But if the law is not published to the public, in languages that the public can understand, there is no valid reason for punishment.

In all civilized countries the current rules are published, in a multitude of languages, in various well known media. In Thailand it's in Thai, If you can find the original source of the information.

Any important messages in Thailand should at least be published in Thai, Lao, Cambodian, Myanmar, Malaysian and English language. Most European countries publish everything in 15 to 20 languages.

Best candidate for May's Most Bizarre and Uninformed post of the month. Unless it was meant as a joke, in which case it was missing an ???? 

• Like 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

The real question is, why do you think that they're going to be thrown in jail?

Do you really take everything literally and can not see when a person is making light of what is a ridiculous post by the police. 

• Haha 1