Koh Samui: Three British pensioners, one other, arrested with Thais for illegal drinking

webfact

9 hours ago, pattjock said:

.....Most European countries publish everything in 15 to 20 languages.

Never saw that in my country. No more than four languages and in most cases only two, and in touristic places only

9 hours ago, Olmate said:

Any reason why they should be exempt? 

Just common sense !    Whats wrong with an old fashioned 'ticking off'   NOT bloody arresting them. Just look at the line up of Samui Plod's finest to do the work.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes that is ok with me they broke the law on alcohol and this has been in place a long time. Probation is good too.

Bars are closed these guys risked it and got caught. People who drink disregard rules  more then any. Bars are always the first to close in any country so its not really strange to close them.

So many people defending the drinkers looks like a lot have problems with alcohol If you want to drink do it at home not in illigal bars. 

Oh just for your information food from markets is essential to live. Beer is not though for people from a certain country it seems it is.

Much like drugs for people from a certain country where there are  - little mice with clogs on....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I bet you haven't been here for long you can arrested fined and banged up just for being at the wrong place at the wrong time .IE. stopping to help someone at a road accident and then getting the blame for it .

You’ve been spending too much time on bar-stools chatting to ex SAS servicemen who’ve become bitcoin millionaires. ... ????

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

Much like drugs for people from a certain country where there are  - little mice with clogs on....

These lil mice with drugs and clogs must be a lot smarter then those alcohol users from that other country as I hardly see them making the news with drug offences while the same cannot be said from the people of the land of gentlemen.

I mean when you know there is a nation wide ban on opening bars and serving alcohol. You deserve all you get if you still break that rule especially when you know the spotlights are on you.

Just not a really smart thing to do if you like alcohol you can drink at home. This would be akin to an idiot from the land of clogs lighting a big joint up in public during a drug crackdown.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

God man learn to see the difference between essential things like hospitals and non essential things like drinking beer in bars.

Buying food and clothes is essential, beer in bars non essential. Getting jabs is vital. 

Seems you got your priorities totally wrong, what is it with people who can't live without a bar and alcohol. Its closed for a reason. When you drink alcohol you forget about the rules and its non essential. Its how this 3rd wave started.

If you are happy with standing next to lots of people that's ok with me as for the drink stuff i don't drink alcohol i don't smoke . so you are assuming . The 3 wave started from parties in BKK AND letting people travel at Songkran that's when the infections started in Samui The fact is people are not self distancing whether its hospitals or markets  

1 minute ago, PEE TEE said:

If you are happy with standing next to lots of people that's ok with me as for the drink stuff i don't drink alcohol i don't smoke . so you are assuming . The 3 wave started from parties in BKK AND letting people travel at Songkran that's when the infections started in Samui The fact is people are not self distancing whether its hospitals or markets  

I avoid places with lots of people and i do drink (occasionally). I just don't make a fuzz about it when its not available.

Yes the 3rd wave started from alcohol fueled partied in Thong Lor (I live in Thong lor) and then the decision of the PM to let people go on Songkran. But without the bar being that main hotspot things would not have gotten this bad.

In my home country and in the UK too they also closed bars yet we moan when they do it in Thailand. I don't understand why that is. Everyone knows that alcohol like any other drug influences decision making in bad way.  

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’ve been spending too much time on bar-stools chatting to ex SAS servicemen who’ve become bitcoin millionaires. ... ????

How did you know that about the black ops . but wrong I'm T total so you don't know me 

1 minute ago, AlfHuy said:

3 fruit Hoegaarden and some other stuff.

They must have been drunk.

Release a few Thai prisoners and lock the farangs up.

At least they drank some better (non el cheapo) beer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I avoid places with lots of people and i do drink (occasionally). I just don't make a fuzz about it when its not available.

Yes the 3rd wave started from alcohol fueled partied in Thong Lor (I live in Thong lor) and then the decision of the PM to let people go on Songkran. But without the bar being that main hotspot things would not have gotten this bad.

In my home country and in the UK too they also closed bars yet we moan when they do it in Thailand. I don't understand why that is. Everyone knows that alcohol like any other drug influences decision making in bad way.  

I totally agree with you The UK at weekend is like a war in the city's . see on YouTube the bouncers. i stay with my wife don't go out apart from beach walks and bicycle rides have not been out for years . I use to go to a quiz night every week but that's all closed of course . so Tv and computer is the new life as i am sure this virus will be here for quite some time  any way best wishes to you stay safe 

10 hours ago, Excel said:

No doubt by now this article has already been sent to the BBC and others' news sites. 

Why would it? 

I don't see anyone outside of this forum being remotely 

interested in the carry on with 3 old duffers on an obscure 

island in Thailand.

Although interesting to me and you, people around the world 

really don't care about trivial matters in s place they couldn't 

point to on a map.

Israel and Hammas blowing each other up last week isn't even 

given a mention on the news this week. 

47 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I totally agree with you The UK at weekend is like a war in the city's . see on YouTube the bouncers. i stay with my wife don't go out apart from beach walks and bicycle rides have not been out for years . I use to go to a quiz night every week but that's all closed of course . so Tv and computer is the new life as i am sure this virus will be here for quite some time  any way best wishes to you stay safe 

So you decided to be a voluntary prisoner for long time.

8 hours ago, Thomas J said:

List of major crimes

Homicide

Assault

Robbery

Rape

Drug Dealing

Human Trafficking

Arson

Kidnapping

Thai police making life safer for everyone by apprehending and arresting three elderly men for drinking.  I feel so much safer now. 

1pm1.jpg

All the ones on your list are reserved for Thais.  The only crimes left for foreigners are drinking and failing to complete your TM30.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The regulations were published in English and have been widely known for some time. 

Nationwide laws were recently relaxed slightly to allow restaurants in ‘red zones’ to open up until 9pm but they are still not permitted to sell alcohol. 

There is very little doubt that these folk knew they were breaking regulations. 

The issue is the regulations are stupid, killing businesses and are not intelligently thought out. 

Open air gatherings of a few people at a time are not an issue.

The problem here is that discretion has been removed and its been replace with this ridiculous ‘faux-outrage’.

I bet every single one of those arresting officers regularly drink with a larger group of friends.

Why do you assume they have any friends?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BestB said:

Ok. Irrespective of my beliefs , law is the law, so if one breaks it then tough luck . But problem I have is why make arrests and such a fuss. This is not criminal offence . So you caught them breaking the news law, issue them with fines on the spot and end of story .

why turn it into a circus ? 

when big P was caught not wearing a mask , he was not arrested or detained , but simply issued with a fine , why this any different ?

it makes news, it scares people from coming when you get arrested for fineable offences 

Have they been imprisoned, deported, blacklisted?

What offences have they been charged with and what are the consequences?

I would guess, and it's only a guess as per usual the headline does what it's supposed

to do, ie create hysteria among the usual suspects here, without providing any real 

information and guaranteed no follow up, that the person in the most trouble here 

would be the bar owner who sold the booze.

I'm sure everyone involved knows the deal and knowingly risked this outcome.

A mere slap on the wrist and on your way old man isn't going to deter anyone, 

so I can understand why the police would put on a show.

As for big p, if he was merely given a fine, how did you get to hear about it? Did you 

just happen to be present at the time of did someone put it in the news?

Edited by shy coconut

1 hour ago, sambum said:

My, what a big horse! Another member of the "if you don't like it go home" club!

"As death rates rise daily in this country I would suggest to those who are hopelessly addicted to pack up and go back to the UK,"

So drinking is now responsible for the rising death rates in the country - as most of the bars in the country are closed, I would suggest that you need to find another "scapegoat" for your biased theory!

And from your tone, it would appear that you would be quite happy for all the bars to be closed permanently, as you imply that they are solely responsible for the rising death rates in the country? I'm sure the tourist industry and a lot of its employers/employees would really appreciate that move.

And I would also suggest that you don't seem to realise that a lot of tourism depends on the fact that an awful lot of people enjoy a (alcoholic) drink as part of their holiday - that is not to say they are "hopelessly addicted"!

So, have a nice day and enjoy your cuppa - I'm going for a beer on the balcony!

no, I'm actually suggesting that alcohol played a big part in your own country's horrendous rate of death and that people (if they weren't alcohol addled) would realize this and respect the rules of this country. 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When did having a beer with a friend become ‘alcoholism’ ?????

A bit sanctimonious with these ‘non-drinking / non gathering’ times comment don’t you think?

Are you telling us you have not had a drink and not met up with any friends for the past 3 or 4 months ????

There are no regulations against having friends round for dinner and beers (outside of Phuket), the only difference is that this was done publicly. 

In most tourist places bars, pubs and restaurants are not allowed to sell alcohol. 

You know it, I know it, these silly old boys knew it and thought they would get away 

with a cheeky beer or 2. 

If this contravenes current guidelines what are the police supposed to do? 

Hit the bar owner for some tea money, geez all the lions would have a field 

day with that!

They do their job in their own unique style and get 7 pages of indignant posters 

making angry comments. 

I don't agree all the strict rules, but if I want to keep my blurred features out if the 

Thai visa news thread, I try not to break them. Simples.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

God man learn to see the difference between essential things like hospitals and non essential things like drinking beer in bars.

Buying food and clothes is essential, beer in bars non essential. Getting jabs is vital. 

Seems you got your priorities totally wrong, what is it with people who can't live without a bar and alcohol. Its closed for a reason. When you drink alcohol you forget about the rules and its non essential. Its how this 3rd wave started.

So it's OK for hundreds (and I'm not exaggerating) of people to stand shoulder to shoulder for hours waiting for their jabs, or walking round crammed markets, but it's not OK for 2 or 3 people to have a drink together?

I am not saying that night clubs holding hundreds of people should fling their doors open to all and sundry! As you implied, that is possibly how one of these waves started -and I agree with you, for a change. But also an Army run boxing tournament was to blame for a surge in cases, and I don't think drink was involved there. But there is a big difference between a packed night club,  and a couple of mates having a drink and a chat together in a bar. You are obviously so anti drink that you probably won't see the logic there. I am an ex smoker, but I don't cough and splutter needlessly when someone lights a cigarette up somewhere between me and the moon, but a lot of ex smokers do!

The point I am making is that the way social distancing is applied is a farce, and this "witch hunt" against drinkers is a prime example. I sleep in the same bed as my wife, we ride to places together on a motor bike, but when we go to a restaurant/cafe we are supposed to sit with a dividing screen between us? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

So it's OK for hundreds (and I'm not exaggerating) of people to stand shoulder to shoulder for hours waiting for their jabs, or walking round crammed markets, but it's not OK for 2 or 3 people to have a drink together?

I am not saying that night clubs holding hundreds of people should fling their doors open to all and sundry! As you implied, that is possibly how one of these waves started -and I agree with you, for a change. But also an Army run boxing tournament was to blame for a surge in cases, and I don't think drink was involved there. But there is a big difference between a packed night club,  and a couple of mates having a drink and a chat together in a bar. You are obviously so anti drink that you probably won't see the logic there. I am an ex smoker, but I don't cough and splutter needlessly when someone lights a cigarette up somewhere between me and the moon, but a lot of ex smokers do!

The point I am making is that the way social distancing is applied is a farce, and this "witch hunt" against drinkers is a prime example. I sleep in the same bed as my wife, we ride to places together on a motor bike, but when we go to a restaurant/cafe we are supposed to sit with a dividing screen between us? 

I think you are overlooking a very important point. People standing in line for vaccination are not open to RTP extortion unlike the 3 guys having a drink, nor will it be the last. If anybody on this forum consider that the RTP's prime objective is to uphold the law, rather than pocket as much money as possible,  then I would suggest they need to seek help. 

Edited by Excel

This happened in Lamai. My girlfriend and I were having dinner at Pizza Del Sol, which is about a block away from Hundred Bar when I saw two police officers ride past on their motorbike with a Police pickup truck following behind. As they slowed down I knew some people were in store for a quick end to their night out. About twenty to thirty minutes later the pickup truck drove away with those arrested in the truck bed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Excel said:

I think you are overlooking a very important point. People standing in line for vaccination are not open to RTP extortion unlike the 3 guys having a drink, nor will it be the last. If anybody on this forum consider that the RTP's prime objective is to uphold the law, rather than pocket as much money as possible,  then I would suggest they need to seek help. 

I wasn't overlooking that very important observation, it's just that we weren't discussing corruption - that would come under a very different topic!