Koh Samui: Three British pensioners, one other, arrested with Thais for illegal drinking

webfact

12 hours ago, sambum said:

"I hardly see them making the news with drug offences while the same cannot be said from the people of the land of gentlemen"

Posssibly/PROBABLY due to the fact that "the land of gentlemen" does not have the laxity of Dutch law as far as drugs are concerned! :- 

"While recreational use, possession and trade of non-medicinal drugs described by the Opium Law are all technically illegal under Dutch law, official policy since the late 20th century has been to openly tolerate all recreational use while tolerating the other two under certain circumstances." 

Again you misunderstand me the people from the land of gentlemen are constantly in Thai news about alcohol and other offences. The clog hoppers from my country are not in the Thai news for drug offences.

So that would say that those people from the land of clogs who like drugs are far smarter / more discreet then those of the land of gentlemen. Maybe something you could learn drink at home, don't fix the spotlight on you.

Your pub culture will be the end of you guys. Always moaning about beers and so on. Now you feel how it is to have a hobby that is against the law. ????

A tip to the hat - well done boys, well done!

Once the good work has been completed on Samui island then rock up to Nakorn Phanom or Nong Khai; all the riverside outlets must be operated by Vietnamese not understanding the words of wisdom from Bangkok; drinks in any form and temperature are available and absolutely nobody cares nor any additional Covidian death cases being reported - because of alcoholic consumption ???? 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Thing is the moment alcohol comes into play people its inhibitions go away. Rules are no longer important and so on. I am not anti drink but it seems you don't accept that alcohol makes common sense scarce. That is the problem.

I've never considered any rules important, drunk, drugged or sober.

I'm more of a 'what can I do without getting caught and punished?' kind of guy.

There appears to be a lot of other Brits that think exactly the same.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've never considered any rules important, drunk, drugged or sober.

I'm more of a 'what can I do without getting caught and punished?' kind of guy.

There appears to be a lot of other Brits that think exactly the same.

That explains why you guys are so often in the news in a negative way. Thanks for clarifying. I too of course don't follow all rules and try to see what i can get away with. However if I drink the risk calculations seem to change and i take more risk. One exception I will never drink and drive or use whatever drugs and drive. I would never ever be that selfish.

Thing is i think you like me will think you can get away with a lot more when your drunk as your reasoning and thinking gets influenced.

I bet that you also make more stupid decisions when drunk compared to sober. So i doubt it has no influence on you. But that is just me reasoning from my perspective.

I am sure your some kind of superman who does not get influenced by alcohol at all. I am sure your thinking is as clear after 2 liters of whisky in an hour as it is when you were sober ????

Just now, robblok said:

I bet that you also make more stupid decisions when drunk compared to sober. So i doubt it has no influence on you. But that is just me reasoning from my perspective.

I'm not sure I can remember that far back, to a time when I was sober.

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2021 at 10:02 AM, BestB said:

Ok. Irrespective of my beliefs , law is the law, so if one breaks it then tough luck . But problem I have is why make arrests and such a fuss. This is not criminal offence . So you caught them breaking the news law, issue them with fines on the spot and end of story .

why turn it into a circus ? 

when big P was caught not wearing a mask , he was not arrested or detained , but simply issued with a fine , why this any different ?

it makes news, it scares people from coming when you get arrested for fineable offences 

Neither were any immigration officials arrested for letting countless infected Burmese across the border, leading to this latest wave. 

I could go on and on. We all know how selective the laws are here. They relate only to the plebs. 

• Like 1

If me, myself and I (mature and responsible person) enter a restaurant to have a meal, why can't I drink a beer with my meal, I repeat, I am alone at the table! Can anyone explain to me in plain English

the reason for this nonsense.

"Have you noticed  the people who tell you to calm down are the one who upset you in the first place".

12 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

If me, myself and I (mature and responsible person) enter a restaurant to have a meal, why can't I drink a beer with my meal, I repeat, I am alone at the table! Can anyone explain to me in plain English

the reason for this nonsense.

"Have you noticed  the people who tell you to calm down are the one who upset you in the first place".

What’s makes you , that is the mature and responsible you, so special?

On 5/26/2021 at 11:49 AM, pattjock said:

Please let me know where the first hand, updated, information is published in English.

This is obviously different in different areas so need all areas to have their information available to everyone in different formats and languages.

I am 100% sure you listen the rules in the last weeks from a lot of people but you want to ignore it. Almost every english newspaper and TV channel in thailand wrote/told the rules in english. 

You have to inform yourself!!!

It's same as they catched you stole something in a shop and you tell: Oh, they don't wrote that I can't do it!!!"

So 3 old expats are in the news, with a bar owner who is in a tiny bit of trouble for selling them alcohol.

In 60 days, or in July after the great opening up of Thailand for international Tourism, this will just be another

story of before the great reopening and restart of Thai Tourism.  I just wonder if the first few thousand of new tourists

will be told that there will be no alcohol for their visits?  Just how is this great return of tourism going to be handled by TAT, the Thai government

and other related agencies?  The story just shows that expats are in no way considered anyone special to Thailand.

Geezer

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

So 3 old expats are in the news, with a bar owner who is in a tiny bit of trouble for selling them alcohol.

In 60 days, or in July after the great opening up of Thailand for international Tourism, this will just be another

story of before the great reopening and restart of Thai Tourism.  I just wonder if the first few thousand of new tourists

will be told that there will be no alcohol for their visits?  Just how is this great return of tourism going to be handled by TAT, the Thai government

and other related agencies?  The story just shows that expats are in no way considered anyone special to Thailand.

Geezer

Why should they be considered anyone special as the goal is to fit in...

On 5/26/2021 at 4:18 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, four of each in total but they weren't all drinking at the same place.

You trying to break the record in one line replies? By now the dimmest reader will have picked up that you are a law abiding citizen and find the behaviour of the people disgusting. no need to repeat your point unless you are trying to break some kind of record from you sofa,

• Sad 1

On 5/26/2021 at 6:28 PM, robblok said:

Enjoy your beer on your balcony nobody said you can't drink. Just not in bars and mix with other people. 

Clearly you don't follow whats going on here. In Suratthani if you drink on your balcony with your wife and sister-in-law who all live in the same house you are breaking the law as much as the geezers did in the bar. 

26 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Clearly you don't follow whats going on here. In Suratthani if you drink on your balcony with your wife and sister-in-law who all live in the same house you are breaking the law as much as the geezers did in the bar. 

Did YOU get fined for that???? Or just rumors??

5 hours ago, huberthammer said:

You trying to break the record in one line replies? By now the dimmest reader will have picked up that you are a law abiding citizen and find the behaviour of the people disgusting. no need to repeat your point unless you are trying to break some kind of record from you sofa,

No need for you to grandly think that you're in a position to tell me what and how to comment, either.