Koh Samui: Three British pensioners, one other, arrested with Thais for illegal drinking

webfact

Simple for people to understand. Wife whats to go on vacation once all this covid lets up.  Samui and some place are not going to be on the list. Let's see how does once the foreigners are let in again, not so good I bet. There are Law's and there people that should make sound good decisions on how to enforce them. This a clear case of look who we found breaking the Law. Really does not play well.

• Like 1

Just now, PEE TEE said:

You cannot drink alcohol in a group more than 3 out or at home .but you can go to a night market and mingle with lots of people licking ice cream and eating food and drinking pop. how is that ok ? you can sleep with your wife but when in your car you both have to wear a face mask all good stuff 55555

or is it more than 2 ?

Just now, DBath said:

Lock them in a pillory, then place them in a public square for shaming and humiliation. 

(I know what a pillory is and I'm not even British!!!)

your just not even mate 

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

So why r u defending them. Long term expats oldor not need to follow the rules.

because you would have them have them deported for having a beer  .they got a 1 year probation and a 10 k fine each is that ok with you ? ironic you cannot have a beer with more than 2. but can go to a night market and mingle with lots of people i don't get it 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, smedly said:

would it not be better to allow people to drink outside in the open air (with some rules) than doing it in confined spaces like bars behind closed shutters with no ventilation 

Not really because that's makes sense 

• Like 1

We don't allow beer drinking,

Because it has juice.
And one little sip,
Makes farangs loose as a goose.
What's the sorriest sight,

In the whole human race?
Then a farang in the gutter,
With Chang on his face.

Away, away with rum by gum,
rum by gum, rum by gum.
Away, away with rum by gum,
The song of the Thai Temperance Union.

Eg1.jpg.be1eb98ef2186d97283c3047a7b99864.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The UK moved on and abolished the restrictive laws. Thailand went backwards and introduced them. Nothing really unusual in that.

A few years ago, Scotland decided to alter its drinking laws drastically, allowing additional hours for drinking.

Scotland (especially the big cities, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc) had a reputation for obnoxious drunks, and the cynics said that increasing the time allowed to drink in pubs/bars would make things even worse. 

However, in actual fact, the reverse happened, and the level of drunkenness (and related "anti social behaviour") actually went DOWN!

Whereas previously they only had 2 or 3 hours after work to "unwind", they now had 4 or 5 hours, so they took their time, and came out of the pubs/bars at closing time "semi sober" - maybe even before closing time!!! Also, the average drinker only has a certain amount of money to spend on his booze, so instead of 2 or 3 pints/whiskies an  hour, they were only consuming 1 or 2, hence " semi sobriety". 

England followed suit later, and also introduced "staggered" closing times for the late night drinking holes, which also had a positive effect on the rowdy behaviour.

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

congregating promulgated

I am still trying to figure out the present and past tenses and meaning of this. Its sounds like a medical procedure. 

Sounds like some perverse form of 'fisting'.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I'm sure, Thailand is subject to an Emergency Decree re Covid at the moment.

If it wasn't law, people couldn't be arrested and fined.

I bet you haven't been here for long you can arrested fined and banged up just for being at the wrong place at the wrong time .IE. stopping to help someone at a road accident and then getting the blame for it .

• Sad 1

Well they should not have done it BUT how come we got more pictures inside this perverse den of iniquity than we did of the inside of the clubs in Thong Lor that are the supposed epicentre of wave 3.

Bias?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Well they should not have done it BUT how come we got more pictures inside this perverse den of iniquity than we did of the inside of the clubs in Thong Lor that are the supposed epicentre of wave 3.

Bias?

"perverse den of iniquity"

That's not a nice way to describe a police station - true or not!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

because you would have them have them deported for having a beer  .they got a 1 year probation and a 10 k fine each is that ok with you ? ironic you cannot have a beer with more than 2. but can go to a night market and mingle with lots of people i don't get it 

Yes that is ok with me they broke the law on alcohol and this has been in place a long time. Probation is good too.

Bars are closed these guys risked it and got caught. People who drink disregard rules  more then any. Bars are always the first to close in any country so its not really strange to close them.

So many people defending the drinkers looks like a lot have problems with alcohol If you want to drink do it at home not in illigal bars. 

Oh just for your information food from markets is essential to live. Beer is not though for people from a certain country it seems it is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DBath said:

Lock them in a pillory, then place them in a public square for shaming and humiliation. 

(I know what a pillory is and I'm not even British!!!)

You're a Brit! Can't BS us. ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Prayut... he, in effect, turned himself in, solely for not wearing a mask.   No similarity with these OAPs' case.

It may not have anything to do with the point you're trying to make, but do you honestly think this was not just some ridiculous publicity stunt by Prayut? You're giving the man way too much credit, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Dickp said:

Simple for people to understand. Wife whats to go on vacation once all this covid lets up.  Samui and some place are not going to be on the list. Let's see how does once the foreigners are let in again, not so good I bet. There are Law's and there people that should make sound good decisions on how to enforce them. This a clear case of look who we found breaking the Law. Really does not play well.

Did you plan on breaking  laws on your holiday..? 

6 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

it's not the drinking, it's the irresponsible behavior following the intake of the drug. There is ample evidence to that shows that folks just don't give a **** about anyone else when under its influence. As death rates rise daily in this country I would suggest to those who are hopelessly addicted to pack up and go back to the UK, which is now open for continuing their substance abuse way of life..

My, what a big horse! Another member of the "if you don't like it go home" club!

"As death rates rise daily in this country I would suggest to those who are hopelessly addicted to pack up and go back to the UK,"

So drinking is now responsible for the rising death rates in the country - as most of the bars in the country are closed, I would suggest that you need to find another "scapegoat" for your biased theory!

And from your tone, it would appear that you would be quite happy for all the bars to be closed permanently, as you imply that they are solely responsible for the rising death rates in the country? I'm sure the tourist industry and a lot of its employers/employees would really appreciate that move.

And I would also suggest that you don't seem to realise that a lot of tourism depends on the fact that an awful lot of people enjoy a (alcoholic) drink as part of their holiday - that is not to say they are "hopelessly addicted"!

So, have a nice day and enjoy your cuppa - I'm going for a beer on the balcony!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes that is ok with me they broke the law on alcohol and this has been in place a long time. Probation is good too.

Bars are closed these guys risked it and got caught. People who drink disregard rules  more then any. Bars are always the first to close in any country so its not really strange to close them.

So many people defending the drinkers looks like a lot have problems with alcohol If you want to drink do it at home not in illigal bars. 

Oh just for your information food from markets is essential to live. Beer is not though for people from a certain country it seems it is.

yes they broke the rules (correct) i am not defending them but it seems many want to punish them to extremes for a rule break The night markets open here now Samui is full of people buying clothes and nick knacks not just food and drink shoulder to shoulder no social distancing hope you understand .as the pics from the government hospital today shows 100s huddled together to get their jabs to my mind that's breaking the rules also but is ok no problem. maybe i can see now why people don't want to have the vaccine. any way wish you all the best stay safe .   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, PEE TEE said:

yes they broke the rules (correct) i am not defending them but it seems many want to punish them to extremes for a rule break The night markets open here now Samui is full of people buying clothes and nick knacks not just food and drink shoulder to shoulder no social distancing hope you understand .as the pics from the government hospital today shows 100s huddled together to get their jabs to my mind that's breaking the rules also but is ok no problem. maybe i can see now why people don't want to have the vaccine. any way wish you all the best stay safe .   

God man learn to see the difference between essential things like hospitals and non essential things like drinking beer in bars.

Buying food and clothes is essential, beer in bars non essential. Getting jabs is vital. 

Seems you got your priorities totally wrong, what is it with people who can't live without a bar and alcohol. Its closed for a reason. When you drink alcohol you forget about the rules and its non essential. Its how this 3rd wave started.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

My, what a big horse! Another member of the "if you don't like it go home" club!

"As death rates rise daily in this country I would suggest to those who are hopelessly addicted to pack up and go back to the UK,"

So drinking is now responsible for the rising death rates in the country - as most of the bars in the country are closed, I would suggest that you need to find another "scapegoat" for your biased theory!

And from your tone, it would appear that you would be quite happy for all the bars to be closed permanently, as you imply that they are solely responsible for the rising death rates in the country? I'm sure the tourist industry and a lot of its employers/employees would really appreciate that move.

And I would also suggest that you don't seem to realise that a lot of tourism depends on the fact that an awful lot of people enjoy a (alcoholic) drink as part of their holiday - that is not to say they are "hopelessly addicted"!

So, have a nice day and enjoy your cuppa - I'm going for a beer on the balcony!

The 3rd wave started in a BAR so yes its responsible for the rising death rate. The whole third wave happened because of no social distancing in a bar.

What tourists are there in this country now ? The only people are expats so they are hopelessly addicted. If you know bars are closed and you still visit bars that are open taking the risk for arrest then yes your addicted.

Enjoy your beer on your balcony nobody said you can't drink. Just not in bars and mix with other people. 

9 hours ago, Excel said:

No doubt by now this article has already been sent to the BBC and others' news sites. 

Three Old mates having a quiet beer together..........now criminals in Thailand.  This will attract the tourists to Koh Samui for sure.

• Like 2