Koh Samui: Three British pensioners, one other, arrested with Thais for illegal drinking

webfact

Recently I've been in a few restaurants in the evening where people know me and they ask if I want a beer, I always say no thanks Im not getting a 5000 baht fine over a 70 baht beer and you get fined also, Thanks but no Thanks, 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"This is not criminal offence".

Yes, it is.

Are you sure? To be so, a law must have been discussed and passed in Parliament and then published in the Royal Gazette.

Yes, I'm sure, Thailand is subject to an Emergency Decree re Covid at the moment.

If it wasn't law, people couldn't be arrested and fined.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If it wasn't law, people couldn't be arrested and fined.

Clearly you know nothing about the underhand workings of the police here.

I have and have been arrested/ fined/ jailed, for defending myself after getting stabbed.

Edited by colinneil
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The only thing that makes this "illegal" is that they were drinking a beer and having a glass of wine and that act while presently illegal does not make that action any more risky than if they were sitting together with nothing to drink. 

Rest assured, you don't have to condescendingly walk me through anything.

You're right, the thing that made it illegal was the consumption of alcohol, illegally, in a bar that was not permitted to be serving alcohol.   That's why they were arrested.    I have made no comment about the risk as far as health is concerned, nor how sensible the law is, maybe address that point to those posters who have. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Recently I've been in a few restaurants in the evening where people know me and they ask if I want a beer, I always say no thanks Im not getting a 5000 baht fine over a 70 baht beer and you get fined also, Thanks but no Thanks, 

There's plenty of them around for those who want to imbibe.

12 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

To beat a dead horse. lets say they were all drinking diet coke.  How is that any more or less risky.  This notion that somehow serving alcohol contributes to the spread of Covid is just nonsense.   Why only pick on the bars?  Why not sto p any all all social contact.  No gas stations, no restaurants, no open government offices, no supermarkets, no hardware stores etc.   Covid only spreads in bars where alcohol is served and no place else? 

Beat the dead horse with someone else, I have made no comment about the infection-spreading risks involved.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well that aint gonna  happen with plod behaving like that.

That said what a terrible despicable bunch drinking together, lock em up, throw away the key, that will teach em.????????????????????

They all need to go attend A A meetings despicable drunks. 55555t

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Also, these 'perp pics' that plod pose for are supposedly forbidden by RT Police High Command years ago.

But, TIT baby.

It is identifying by parading arrestees in public that is banned (officially) and all these people had their identity hidden by having their faces obscured.

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Beat the dead horse with someone else, I have made no comment about the infection-spreading risks involved.

Funny, it seemed like only moments ago you did. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

We need a re-enactment..... 

Yes I want a video tape and more pictures of the seat team... They are stupid though koh samui  said no more then one drinking in your own house and those peoe in the south I won't trust with anything 

Oh ya, heard about these guys, the over the hill gang... heard they could put away 2-3 beers in a single sitting without having to take a pee.. Really tough hombres... good to get them off the street before they corrupt the youth of this fine country.... hahaha....

Edited by arend
correction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, arend said:

Oh ya, heard about these guys, the over the hill gang... heard they could put away 2-3 beers in a single sitting without having to take a pee.. Really tough hombres... good to get them off the street before they corrupt the youth of this fine country.... hahaha....

The two old guys have already corrupted a youngster.

• Haha 1

"Did it also say that all of the murders, assaults, rapes etc were completed attended to..."

Which murders, assaults, rapes, etc., that were happening at the same time?

"...arresting 3 old men who if they were endangering anyone, they were endangering themselves".

No, it's not just that.  The point is that they were also endangering anyone that they and the Thai owner had contact with afterwards, and anyone else that they subsequently had contact with, ad infinitum.   Don't you understand how infections spread? 

You are talking as if they are known Covid carriers!

• Sad 1

During the current restrictions, drinking alcohol with their mates, served to them in a bar that was not allowed to serve alcohol, sure was a criminal offence.   That's why they were arrested.

"As for your Prayut comment, even more pathetic than the rest, What is more dangerous drinking with  3 buddies in isolation or walk around without a mask spreading the virus?"

Huh?  Shouldn't you have said, "what is more dangerous drinking with 3 buddies (not in isolation, obviously, there were four people there) spreading the virus" or do you think that is it only Prayut who can spread the virus?

"Best you find another place to spout your nonsense"

Would that be because you object to viewpoints that differ from yours?  Best you realise that this is a public forum.  You do know the meaning of the word "forum" and the reason for its existence?

They do not own the bar , surely you able to comprehend that 

• Haha 1