Koh Samui: Three British pensioners, one other, arrested with Thais for illegal drinking

webfact

2 hours ago, robblok said:

These lil mice with drugs and clogs must be a lot smarter then those alcohol users from that other country as I hardly see them making the news with drug offences while the same cannot be said from the people of the land of gentlemen.

I mean when you know there is a nation wide ban on opening bars and serving alcohol. You deserve all you get if you still break that rule especially when you know the spotlights are on you.

Just not a really smart thing to do if you like alcohol you can drink at home. This would be akin to an idiot from the land of clogs lighting a big joint up in public during a drug crackdown.

"I hardly see them making the news with drug offences while the same cannot be said from the people of the land of gentlemen"

Posssibly/PROBABLY due to the fact that "the land of gentlemen" does not have the laxity of Dutch law as far as drugs are concerned! :- 

"While recreational use, possession and trade of non-medicinal drugs described by the Opium Law are all technically illegal under Dutch law, official policy since the late 20th century has been to openly tolerate all recreational use while tolerating the other two under certain circumstances." 

12 hours ago, colinneil said:
12 hours ago, webfact said:

Yesterday it was announced that Samui was desperate to get foreigners back on the island from July 1st

Well that aint gonna  happen with plod behaving like that.

That said what a terrible despicable bunch drinking together, lock em up, throw away the key, that will teach em.

Bish, bash, bosh... I just checked my calendar and it is still May so what has illegal drinking yesterday got to do with tourism in July?

3 hours ago, DBath said:

It may not have anything to do with the point you're trying to make, but do you honestly think this was not just some ridiculous publicity stunt by Prayut? You're giving the man way too much credit, IMO.

I have not given him any credit.   I did point out what happened, though.

4 hours ago, PEE TEE said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I'm sure, Thailand is subject to an Emergency Decree re Covid at the moment.

If it wasn't law, people couldn't be arrested and fined.

I bet you haven't been here for long you can arrested fined and banged up just for being at the wrong place at the wrong time .IE. stopping to help someone at a road accident and then getting the blame for it .

Obviously, I've been here longer than you.  Long enough to know that what you referred to is just urban myth.

14 minutes ago, arend said:

Oh ya, heard about these guys, the over the hill gang... heard they could put away 2-3 beers in a single sitting without having to take a pee.. Really tough hombres... good to get them off the street before they corrupt the youth of this fine country.... hahaha....

The two old guys have already corrupted a youngster.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

The 3rd wave started in a BAR so yes its responsible for the rising death rate. The whole third wave happened because of no social distancing in a bar.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

The 3rd wave started in a BAR so yes its responsible for the rising death rate. The whole third wave happened because of no social distancing in a bar.

What tourists are there in this country now ? The only people are expats so they are hopelessly addicted. If you know bars are closed and you still visit bars that are open taking the risk for arrest then yes your addicted.

Enjoy your beer on your balcony nobody said you can't drink. Just not in bars and mix with other people. 

If you know bars are closed and you still visit bars that are open taking the risk for arrest then yes your addicted.

Enjoy your beer on your balcony nobody said you can't drink. Just not in bars and mix with other people. 

"What tourists are there in this country now ? The only people are expats so they are hopelessly addicted."

What are you on about? You been taking the Amsterdam coffee?

9 hours ago, mikebike said:
13 hours ago, pattjock said:

Most European countries publish everything in 15 to 20 languages.

And are we in Europe now or a developing SE ASian country? Why on earth would you expect equivalence?

Not much different in the US either. It's getting ridiculous. English should be the only language for government use. That is our language if you want to be in the US, take it or leave it.

5 hours ago, sambum said:

You are talking as if they are known Covid carriers!

To help you with your confusion:-

"The point is that they were also endangering anyone that they and the Thai owner had contact with afterwards, and anyone else that they subsequently had contact with, ad infinitum."

They would only do the above (endangering) if they were infected, or asymptomatic (unknowingly infected) and as there are no, zilch,zero cases known of on Samui at this time, either one or both scenarios are highly unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I'm not, I was saying what could have been the case.

You did not say what could have been the case at all!  I said:-"You are talking as if they are known Covid carriers!"

Direct quote from your post:-

"...arresting 3 old men who if they were endangering anyone, they were endangering themselves".

No, it's not just that.  The point is that they were also endangering anyone that they and the Thai owner had contact with afterwards, and anyone else that they subsequently had contact with, ad infinitum.   Don't you understand how infections spread? 

But enough of this bickering or we could end up jeopardising the thread, which would be a shame.

Edited by sambum
  • Sad 1

My guess is  the Police got the usual anonymous phone complaint from a Thai with a grudge against the bar and salon, standard procedure is to send out 5 or 6 police to investigate... As it was  a reported crime and they were sent out by their superiors they have to show they are doing their job hence all the publicity and come down to the station malarkey! We've all probably experienced the same thing with a car load of police offloading outside  then poking around a bar for an hour. My last experience was soi 80 Hua Hin  Jan 2020 when they came in and raided 3 bars following up on an anonymous phone tip ( by a Bar owners daughters boyfriend who had been banned from the bars) complaining about ongoing Prostitution and Gambling on premise!.. fortunately there is no Prostitution or Gambling on soi 80  ... so they were off back to the station ????

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sambum said:

You did not say what could have been the case at all!  I said:-"You are talking as if they are known Covid carriers!"

Direct quote from your post:-

"...arresting 3 old men who if they were endangering anyone, they were endangering themselves".

No, it's not just that.  The point is that they were also endangering anyone that they and the Thai owner had contact with afterwards, and anyone else that they subsequently had contact with, ad infinitum.   Don't you understand how infections spread? 

If you want to quote my comments, do not alter them with bolding and underlining, the forum rules do not allow it.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you want to quote my comments, do not alter them with bolding and underlining, the forum rules do not allow it.

And now you are getting a little bit petty! I was merely emphasising what you said, as you seem to disagree with my interpretation of it.

However, I have been in Thailand long enough, and on ThaiVisa long enough to know the rules thank you, so if you will insist on having the last word, I will merely repeat what I said at the end of my last post:-

"But enough of this bickering or we could end up jeopardising the thread, which would be a shame."

18 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

A plan for the coppers to line their pockets..pose as local thais and invite rich farang to drink with them

Who said they are "rich"?

There were only 3 guys and the owner. Did they really have to arrest them? No drugs, no party girls, no party, just a few beer. 

Seriously!!! What are we coming to??? 

The love for Falang bashing never diminishes. The headline is three old geezers from Britain caught having a sneaky beer. That there were Thais doing the same thing is just a 'by the way'. The headline (if there should be an article at all) should be about a Thai bar owner flouting the laws and serving alcohol during a ban. But no, dirty Falang putting all of Thailand at risk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

The love for Falang bashing never diminishes. The headline is three old geezers from Britain caught having a sneaky beer. That there were Thais doing the same thing is just a 'by the way'. The headline (if there should be an article at all) should be about a Thai bar owner flouting the laws and serving alcohol during a ban. But no, dirty Falang putting all of Thailand at risk.

I would say the majority of this thread is Thai bashing, but that’s just me.!

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would that have worked, then?   The Britons were arrested with one Thai, the owner of the bar in which they were drinking.    The other Thais were arrested in a beauty salon with no connection to the Britons.

it works because it was a joke.....but one has to get the joke to understand it....goes way back in thai stories of thai police looking for ways to skim some pocket cash off of tourists.....would u like a link?

4 hours ago, Allyson said:

Who said they are "rich"?

There were only 3 guys and the owner. Did they really have to arrest them? No drugs, no party girls, no party, just a few beer. 

Seriously!!! What are we coming to??? 

My comment was a joke, as you may have noticed the emojis next to it by those that know me better

Protip 99.9% of my postings are..make note..enjoy your day ????

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Didn't say that they did!   Surely you must be able to comprehend that?

So let’s follow your logic. Man walks into 7-11 during no alcohol hours and buys alcohol, , 7-11 sells it. Man should be arrested ? Charged and prosecuted ? After all he did break the law , right?

Police raid a bar which is open past operating hours, patrons should be arrested ? Charged and prosecuted ? After all they are in the bar after hours and breaking the law .

what jail term do you think is appropriate here? 5 years enough?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Have they been imprisoned, deported, blacklisted?

What offences have they been charged with and what are the consequences?

I would guess, and it's only a guess as per usual the headline does what it's supposed

to do, ie create hysteria among the usual suspects here, without providing any real 

information and guaranteed no follow up, that the person in the most trouble here 

would be the bar owner who sold the booze.

I'm sure everyone involved knows the deal and knowingly risked this outcome.

A mere slap on the wrist and on your way old man isn't going to deter anyone, 

so I can understand why the police would put on a show.

As for big p, if he was merely given a fine, how did you get to hear about it? Did you 

just happen to be present at the time of did someone put it in the news?

They should not have been arrested to begin with  full stop .

They could have been fined on the spot and that is the end instead of this circus 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:
On 5/26/2021 at 9:05 AM, Excel said:

No doubt by now this article has already been sent to the BBC and others' news sites. 

Daily Mirror, The Sun, Mail.

AKA tabloid fodder for the human detritus that soaks that dross up.

Right now, in a tawdry Wetherspoons just off some wet, grey, semi socially distanced and bleak English high street, someone has brought this non-event up in conversation.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, sambum said:

So it's OK for hundreds (and I'm not exaggerating) of people to stand shoulder to shoulder for hours waiting for their jabs, or walking round crammed markets, but it's not OK for 2 or 3 people to have a drink together?

I am not saying that night clubs holding hundreds of people should fling their doors open to all and sundry! As you implied, that is possibly how one of these waves started -and I agree with you, for a change. But also an Army run boxing tournament was to blame for a surge in cases, and I don't think drink was involved there. But there is a big difference between a packed night club,  and a couple of mates having a drink and a chat together in a bar. You are obviously so anti drink that you probably won't see the logic there. I am an ex smoker, but I don't cough and splutter needlessly when someone lights a cigarette up somewhere between me and the moon, but a lot of ex smokers do!

The point I am making is that the way social distancing is applied is a farce, and this "witch hunt" against drinkers is a prime example. I sleep in the same bed as my wife, we ride to places together on a motor bike, but when we go to a restaurant/cafe we are supposed to sit with a dividing screen between us? 

First off lockdowns and other stuff are there to curb the spread of the disease not to stop it.  Second off we have to limit contact as much as possible to curb the spread. Vaccination is essential beer is not. Seems so hard for some people.

I am not anti drink at all im just against opening bars and pubs. If you want to drink do it at home. 

You seem to have no idea about enforcement of laws. You can't just say 2 or 3 mates is good but a full bar is not. That is impossible to enforce. So that is why all bars have been shut down. Its not a matter of what is safe and what is not its more that you cannot enforce it as selective as you want. That way you get (more) corruption and open bars and people will flaunt the rules.

Thing is the moment alcohol comes into play people its inhibitions go away. Rules are no longer important and so on. I am not anti drink but it seems you don't accept that alcohol makes common sense scarce. That is the problem.

Again you bring up stupid examples to make your point probably because of too much alcohol in your past. How are they going to enforce it any other way. They can't so they must make it so that they can enforce it hence the fact that you and your wife who live together and do other stuff together will have to seperate in a restaurant. The police would not be able to enforce the restaurants would not be able too enforce. Just would render it all completely useless. Restaurants would no longer do social distancing because suddenly all clients were lovers or lived together or family ect.

Think a bit more before you get so judgmental because you are not getting your beer.