Buying books online in Thailand?

OneMoreFarang

Most of the time I read eBooks but sometimes it makes sense to have a "real" book with large pages, maybe color pictures, etc.

I looked a amazon.com and for many books I see: "This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location."

I also checked the local asiabooks.com and thailand.kinokuniya.com but it seems they have a limited selection.

Where do you order books online or where do you buy them in person in Bangkok?

In the moment I look for books about interior design but that is just one example, it could be about anything else.

I am surprised that you say Kinokuniya online has a limited selection, a visit to the main shop in Bangkok has / had a vast selection.    

Perhaps it's a limited search you are trying - "interior design"?

When my daughter from UK was studying ( a UK University degree course / living here ) she found a wealth of books suitable for her course.
I regularly purchased books online from Kinokuniya when I was bed-bound for some months following a stroke four years ago ( ok now ).

Years ago when living in Saudi I used to order books from W H Smiths in UK then pickup them up on 3 monthly visits back to the UK.    Many of these were cult books from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

There was a "Book" Convention ( !? ) in Khon Kaen recently, nowhere near as good as they used to be many years ago in Bangkok, there was one 2nd hand seller but very old fashioned range of books.

Not sure how long you have been in Thailand or where you are from in another country but if you had a good bookshop where you used to live ( look online for current stores ) you may find something interesting.

Guess my comments don't offer much help but I am sure there books out there.

Good hunting.

38 minutes ago, kiteman9 said:

Thanks

yes, for some books it is possible. But I think it's annoying that I have to click on every book to see then if they ship to Thailand or not. It would be a lot more comfortable to have a function like "show only items which can be shipped to your registered address". Maybe such a function exist and I just don't know it and can't find it.

23 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

I am surprised that you say Kinokuniya online has a limited selection, a visit to the main shop in Bangkok has / had a vast selection.    

Perhaps it's a limited search you are trying - "interior design"?

When my daughter from UK was studying ( a UK University degree course / living here ) she found a wealth of books suitable for her course.
I regularly purchased books online from Kinokuniya when I was bed-bound for some months following a stroke four years ago ( ok now ).

Years ago when living in Saudi I used to order books from W H Smiths in UK then pickup them up on 3 monthly visits back to the UK.    Many of these were cult books from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

There was a "Book" Convention ( !? ) in Khon Kaen recently, nowhere near as good as they used to be many years ago in Bangkok, there was one 2nd hand seller but very old fashioned range of books.

Not sure how long you have been in Thailand or where you are from in another country but if you had a good bookshop where you used to live ( look online for current stores ) you may find something interesting.

Guess my comments don't offer much help but I am sure there books out there.

Good hunting.

Thanks

I am also surprised about the limited selection.

I searched for: Interior Design Home    or   Interior Design Basics.

And the result are lots of books with not even a picture of the front cover. Obviously I could copy the the information of the books and then look at Amazon or something like that. But that is not really convenient.

I guess I will visit the Kinokuniya shop and have a look there. I have admit the last time I did that was when the shop was still in the "old" Emporium. And I thought with Covid I can just order it online. But it seems I better visit the shop...

On 5/28/2021 at 11:47 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

I am also surprised about the limited selection.

I searched for: Interior Design Home    or   Interior Design Basics.

And the result are lots of books with not even a picture of the front cover. Obviously I could copy the the information of the books and then look at Amazon or something like that. But that is not really convenient.

I guess I will visit the Kinokuniya shop and have a look there. I have admit the last time I did that was when the shop was still in the "old" Emporium. And I thought with Covid I can just order it online. But it seems I better visit the shop...

Try the Kino shop in Paragon
Very big selection

They used to have tables you could  sit at and as usual you could sit on the floor.
Coffee shop next door.

Colorful ebooks and graphic novels really pop on the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro's mini-LED XDR screen.

It is large enough to display A4/ US letter size PDF's at fullsize.

Not cheap but well worth it as you will probably keep using it for seven or eight years, and not just for books.

Edited by Poet
  • Thanks 1