Phuket’s speedy vaccine rollout - 50% of population already vaccinated

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

However, in Phuket, the speedy rollout of the vaccine means the island is now well on course to reach its target of vaccinating 70% of the local population ahead of its planned re-opening to foreign tourists on July 1.

Money (tourism) trumps the welfare of the entire country as vaccines are diverted to Phuket.  Can we expect the same for Pattaya and other tourist hot-spots?  Some 76 year old Thai lady just gave up her vaccination to inoculate a 20 something bar-girl? 

• Like 1

On Thursday (May 27), Phuket governor Narong Woonciew revealed that 50% of the local population of Phuket have already been vaccinated. 

Considering that Thai politicians are paragons of Truth, I wonder about the veracity of this claim?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:
  1. It would be much better if other groups as teachers, who will stand in front of at least 25-50 kids a day are being vaccinated instead of the population of an island where maybe a handful of tourists will come to sit in their hotelroom.

Teachers are at liberty to register...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madmen said:

Tourists will have 2 dose and 2 negative swabs. Risk will be minimal but of course whatever vax they used will need 2 dose eventually just like everywhere else. 

WHAT TOURISTS 55555

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm confused, how can you reach a target 70% if only 65% come forwards ? 

Easy - you send the hitmen, sorry... always these auto-corrections: headmen

to „invite“ people to get vaccinated with an experimental drug, not having finalized the Phase 3 studies :

Village headmen and volunteers will go door-to-door inviting people to register.

Edited by BernieOnTour
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

Money (tourism) trumps the welfare of the entire country as vaccines are diverted to Phuket.  Can we expect the same for Pattaya and other tourist hot-spots?  Some 76 year old Thai lady just gave up her vaccination to inoculate a 20 something bar-girl? 

Some complain because businesses couldn’t open; you’re complaining because they will be able to. Can’t win can they. The recovery of the economy will depend on the whole country being open for business which depends on the total vaccines available, and the economy may recover quicker if provinces where the economy is bigger are done first the recovery could be quicker.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Phuket will be a good test case to see if Sinovac offers protection.  Also, imagine if hotel workers, taxi drivers  and restaurant workers who have been vaccinated with Sinovac come into close contact with Chinese tourist who have also been vaccinated with Sinovac and see what happens.  

I am skeptical.  For me it is Pfizer, Moderna, J&J or bust.  I will stay away from Phuket until I am fully vaccinated with the three I mentioned.  So far it appears Pfizer and Moderna  both  offer pretty good protection.  

Not many Chinese coming as they are not allowed to leave in organized tours anyway.

Returning to China is also not easy

6 hours ago, Aarin said:

So locals only need 1 jab by July.. but tourists need to have had 2 and then still they are nor not free to roam around everywhere and if 2 jabs is safe then no need for those tourists to wear a mask cirrect???????? 

The old double standard double pricing that's prominent still in LOS.

I don't think Phuket is going to attract many tourists because most tourists would rather go to Bangkok where the fun is.

I mean a few days in Phuket is alright but then it becomes boring if we stay there for 14 days as island quarantine.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

With the 50 % efficacy rate from some studies on Sinovac.

The fact many people do not want to get it.

And, most concerning I think is the potential for fraud involving proof of vaccination.  Even the US proof of vaccination document that I have seen looks pretty flimsy making fraudulent ones probably will not be very difficult.

Good luck Phuket.

2 doses Sinovac give 50% protection and 1 dose of Pfizer give 80% protection. Onle Thailand that requires 2 doses to release quarantine (except Jannsen).

it is great to see the vaccination process moving along....

But I cannot see how vaccinating Phuket only has any effect on tourism.

'Nobody in his right mind would venture into thailand  know the infection rate is  increasing.  and get sick..

Unless you are  vaccinated first and willing to be quarantine and not able to leave the island .. May be , it will work for some people.

Nobody will come now.. why would anybody spend  $1500 for airline ticket , $500 for health insurance,  quarantine hotel and Covid test in Phuket = $,1000 and testing and quarantine again in their  home country ?

All that to just go to Phuket and forbid to go anywhere else....People in charge are smoking sea weeds.

They need to understand..."THERE ARE NO MASS TOURISTS COMING TO THAILAND THIS YEAR"

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, grandpa said:

Whoopee-do! And what about all those elderly and vulnerable people in other parts of the country who are having to go without at the expense of the unlikely "cash-cow" of the Blackpool of Thailand! I guess that they are just expendable as long as Phuket is ok.

How come citizens of Phuket require only one shot of vaccine to allow tourists to come in, but those who may or may not (probably not, if they have any sense) wish to enter, have to have 2 shots!

As they will presumably have to wear masks outside their rooms, it could make for some interesting sun tan marks, and also, how do you swim with a mask on, unless you are diving of course!

forget how many shots

No tourists will dare venture into Thailand and return with the virus to their home country......Thailand is not Greece or Spain.. there are no restriction coming into those countries...However Phuket still have a  quarantine ...

I think by now, most of the people who visited Thailand in the past will look elsewhere for a vacation.

6 hours ago, dallen52 said:

But these posts always sound like it's the locals-only being vaccinated.

if you have a work permit then you could get a free vaccine too.

I was offered a vaccine but kindly refused because it's Sinovac.

13 hours ago, ikke1959 said:
  1. It would be much better if other groups as teachers, who will stand in front of at least 25-50 kids a day are being vaccinated instead of the population of an island where maybe a handful of tourists will come to sit in their hotelroom.

Maybe so, but what happens with the Phuket sandbox trial will have huge implications throughout the entire Thai tourism industry.  If successful, it could open up huge areas of the country to tourism.  That makes it more important than a handful of tourists sitting in their hotel rooms.

• Like 2

Nearly every announcement like this requires an asterisk. As others have said this surely does not mean "Fully vaccinated" which requires both vaccinations for Sinovac plus another 2 weeks for the immune response to fully trigger. A bit of marketing spin in every one of these forward looking statements, but Covid itself won't care about anything but the cold hard science of the matter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So they get the vaccines while the rest of the country including Bangkok suffer.

Bangkok is part of "the rest of the country" so why mention it. Let me guess, you live in Bangkok and would  not have posted if vaccinations were being made there. 

13 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Also health workers, who have not all been vaccinated even now and should have been among the very first--before tourist workers, politicians, and others.

27 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Bangkok is part of "the rest of the country" so why mention it. Let me guess, you live in Bangkok and would  not have posted if vaccinations were being made there. 

You guessed wrong I don't live in Bangkok, the reason I gave it a special mention was because of the increased infection rate there over the rest of the country.

15 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

"So you think that over 300 million doses in a multitude of countries doesn't tell anyone anything.

https://covid19.trackvaccines.org/vaccines/7/"

Trials?  Real world is better data.  Almost 6 months of Pfizer in the real world and looks pretty good.

So the mass vaccination programmes being held in the likes of Indonesia, Brazil, Turkey etc are not in the real world.

Pfizer is untried technology, no history. Many things look good in the beginning, remember Thalidomide. 

12 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Maybe it's me and my interpretation.

But these posts always sound like it's the locals-only being vaccinated.

My wife had a phone call yesterday from the head of the village asking if I wanted to go for vaccination at the local centre when it started up, which would be late June.

She told him I already had appointment at the hospital before then, he just said if that gets delayed to let him know and I can go locally. They are waiting on delivery from the AZ facility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"So the mass vaccination programmes being held in the likes of Indonesia, Brazil, Turkey etc are not in the real world.

Pfizer is untried technology, no history. Many things look good in the beginning, remember Thalidomide. "

Zhu Fengcai, one of the paper's authors, said those results - based on 144 participants in the phase one trial and 600 in the phase two trial - meant the vaccine was "suitable for emergency use".

CoronaVac has been undergoing phase three trials in various countries. Interim data from late-stage trials in Turkey and Indonesia showed that the vaccine was 91.25% and 65.3% effective respectively.

Researchers in Brazil initially said it was 78% effective in their clinical trials, but in January 2021 revised that figure to 50.4% after including more data in their calculations. Earlier in November, their trials were briefly halted after the reported death of a volunteer, but resumed after the death was found to have no links to the vaccine.

The numbers are all over the place.  91, 65, 78 and now 50???  Sometimes new technology is better than old technology.  Innovation or not?  Only time will tell.  We will see which technology will prevail in the pandemic battle.