Best Value for Money Bangkok Area

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The best value for YOU is whichever place is a good combination of price and the surrounding which you want.

I.e. I live in lower Sukhumvit and I am pretty sure for me it's the best value. Because I work in that area and I visit restaurants in that area and I go out at night in that area. And I don't worry about bad traffic (in normal non-Covid times) because I seldom use a car. If I would live in any of the areas which you name it would be bad value for me. Because even if the property would be cheaper it would cost a lot of money and time to travel all the time to the places where I want to be.

Obviously the best value from many people will be very different from my best value. And that's exactly my point. It's up to each person what is best value for them.

Do you rent or own? Old or new property?

• Haha 1

Lat Phrao.

You get the nice residential feel, but are super close to top hotels, and great shopping malls, Chatuchak market, and there are world class restaurants. 

Sadly the same issues as most of Bangkok, horrific traffic, bad air quality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bangkokazy said:

Have the money in an account and rent a home

Exactly, renting is good value here. Annual rent is typically 4% of purchase price in around Bkk. One can easily make more than 4% even investing conservatively in the market.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 2

Buy an older building (entire building - cheap) and renovate to your standards. That way you can include things like undercover off-street parking security kitchen etc to your western standard. You'll get max m/2 area too if you do this. Don't get hypnotised into buying a damn dog box of a condo.

2 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Buy an older building (entire building - cheap) and renovate to your standards. That way you can include things like undercover off-street parking security kitchen etc to your western standard. You'll get max m/2 area too if you do this. Don't get hypnotised into buying a damn dog box of a condo.

So easy to do as foreigner. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 3:02 AM, Why Me said:

Exactly, renting is good value here. Annual rent is typically 4% of purchase price in around Bkk. One can easily make more than 4% even investing conservatively in the market.

I agree. If you have the cash to buy property. Don't. Rent instead and invest your capital. There are places you can get APY 8%+ which may be enough to actually pay your landlord. Then, you are not tied to the area of the condo and can move when you are ready to.

16 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

lower sukh. under the hwy where all those  hot Buriram girls worked in those shoddy bars? was that considered soi zero?

Yes, I remember Soi 0. Or was that Soi Rotfai?

A had a girlfriend from Buriram in 1995 and I spend an hour or two in her room in Soi Rotfai. And she didn't work in one of those shady bars. She was one of the stars of G-Spot. Reflections and all that - I am sure lots of guys will remember those times.

Officially I think everything between the highway and Asok is called Lower Sukhumvit.

• Like 2

Certainly in my home city I would be able to tell you which side of a particular (main) road would be more expensive than another. You could always try the land registry to see if that gives you an idea, but Bangkok is such a vast place you would need a vast amount of time to come to any conclusion.

There's a supermarket on every street so it's not as though that will have any impact on prices. The only criteria I can think of are firstly, proximity to specific landmarks ( River, airport, temple etc).  Then proximity to Sky train and finally and definitely more expensive on a gated moo bahn.  Even taking all that into consideration you'll then be buying from someone who believes their property to be worth twice what the next door property is valued at.

Personally I'd get a map stick it on the wall and throw a dart at it.  

57 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

lower sukh. under the hwy where all those  hot Buriram girls worked in those shoddy bars? was that considered soi zero?

Around 1990 about 25 shacks/bars in operation. Original names were Tobacco Road/row,The night market and beer bar area,Buckskin Joes....and finally Soi Zero.....Remember some other names but all exist in in the dim past...time moves on...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Buy

In that case, I would say avoid Thonglor and look for older building.

You can find some surprising good deals around Chitlom, but just be aware some buildings are leasehold.

59 m2 for 3.6 million, just from a quick search.  I am sure there are better deals out there.

Screenshot_20210603-120942_Chrome.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker