Sinovac Safe?

habuspasha

6 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

All of these medications in Thai Medical News are for those who already have Covid, not for preventing infection.

I believe you can also take some before hand as a preventative measure, similar to the vaccine, suffice to say would it be fair to say that they are also an option ?

3 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

My MIL is scheduled to get it next week, but right now she's planning not to go and will wait to see what happens with others.

Seems crazy to me, but I'm staying out of it.

Well, after so many farang "reports" that all the Thais they know don't want to get Sinovac,  I was strolling confident this morning to the vaccination center in Samui to get my first Sinovac jab. Surprise surprise, they ran out of vaccines a day or two ago. My Thai neighbour told me she tried to get a jab yesterday,  she was turned back, no vaccines available anymore.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2021 at 11:42 PM, Patong2021 said:

The safety of the Sinovac  aka Coronavac is unknown.   No one can say if it is safe or even what the likelihood of serious adverse reactions are because the Chinese have provided limited and unreliable information.

If you look at the existing facts;

- Sinovac Biotech Ltd. the manufacturer of the   vaccine  has not published any data in an academic journal.

- The WHO had not approved the vaccine because of the lack of information.

The  media release  cited evidence gaps in safety in pregnancy and on safety and clinical protection in older adults, those with underlying disease, and evaluation of rare adverse events detected through post-authorisation safety monitoring.   WHO had a “moderate level of confidence” that the risk of serious adverse effects was low in people aged 59 and less, but had a “low level of confidence” in the quality of evidence that such risk was also low for adults above 60. “We have low confidence in the quality of evidence that the risk of serious adverse events in individuals with comorbidities or health states that increase risk for severe COVID-19 following one or two doses of CoronaVac is low,” they added.

Maybe the vaccine is safe. I don't know. No one does. What I do know is that it has not met the same rigorous  reporting standards as have   Oxford, Jansen, Pfizer and Moderna.  It is unethical to distribute a vaccine with an unknown safety characteristic.

IMO, Thailand made a big mistake  going with China vaccines, but Thailand will never admit to that.

Sinovac and Sinopharm have been approved by WHO.

• Haha 1

I want to thank everyone for their responses.  I appreciate learning the Thai news and rumors that I did not hear in the U.S.  That particular batch of Sinovac that may have caused blood clots and paralysis and possibly 9 deaths is very concerning.  

BadBuoy is also right that it is my GF's decision, but I want her to not be misinformed.  The power of social media, rumor, and propaganda dominates much of the vaccine discussion here in the U.S. as well as Thailand.

She registered yesterday for Sinopharm I'm pleased to say.  Especially since the private hospitals are now curtailing registrations, it was announced that AstraZeneca will not be available in June, and we have just heard of a Vietnamese (and possibly Malaysian variant).

2 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

I want to thank everyone for their responses.  I appreciate learning the Thai news and rumors that I did not hear in the U.S.  That particular batch of Sinovac that may have caused blood clots and paralysis and possibly 9 deaths is very concerning.  

BadBuoy is also right that it is my GF's decision, but I want her to not be misinformed.  The power of social media, rumor, and propaganda dominates much of the vaccine discussion here in the U.S. as well as Thailand.

She registered yesterday for Sinopharm I'm pleased to say.  Especially since the private hospitals are now curtailing registrations, it was announced that AstraZeneca will not be available in June, and we have just heard of a Vietnamese (and possibly Malaysian variant).

Can I ask how she was able to register for Sinopharm? The website that was open for registration now appears to be closed, at least temporarily.

6 minutes ago, seesip said:

Can I ask how she was able to register for Sinopharm? The website that was open for registration now appears to be closed, at least temporarily.

She told me my yesterday which was Thai Sunday.  I think she did it Friday or Saturday at one or more private hospitals while they were still taking names.  I can ask when I talk to her again my Tues morning (Thai Tues night),

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

Hear is the link again. Notice the headline. WHO will certify Sinovac.

It clearly says "Agency has asked Sinovac for details on CoronaVac’s safety and the manufacturing process before deciding whether to recommend it for global use"

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Actually the Russian Sputnk V is rated in the top 3 for efficacy.

Rated by whom? The Russian data has been called into question.

Data discrepancies and substandard reporting of interim data of Sputnik V phase 3 trial

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00899-0/fulltext

That said, it does seem to be effective in actual use. Montenegro has certainly benefited from it.

8 minutes ago, seesip said:

It clearly says "Agency has asked Sinovac for details on CoronaVac’s safety and the manufacturing process before deciding whether to recommend it for global use"

Sorry, you're correct, but, WHO approval is expected this week.

20 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Tell her the last three lottery winners have been vacinated

This could have another aspect, if you tell a Thai that the chance of dying from a vaccine shot is the same as winning big from the lottery, they'll never get vaccinated. The big win is just around the corner.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The Chinese have published now the adverse reactions stats of their immunization,  data from 260 million shots administered. They also quote the Mexican data, which shows nearly 10 times more adverse reactions with Pfizer shots, compared to Sinovac and Sinopharm.

I assume that includes data from vaccinating their own citizens.

I am wondering why anyone would believe data generated by the CCP, in a country under their iron control.

China and Russia are both weaponising social media to attack the safety of vaccines manufactured in the West. It looks like they are succeeding with the more credulous.

• Like 2

Just now, Lacessit said:

I assume that includes data from vaccinating their own citizens.

I am wondering why anyone would believe data generated by the CCP, in a country under their iron control.

China and Russia are both weaponising social media to attack the safety of vaccines manufactured in the West. It looks like they are succeeding with the more credulous.

They are quoting the Mexican data too, I assume that is an independent source.

In today's connected world the serious adverse effects can't be hidden for long time. All vaccines are used in a number of countries, impossible to silence all of them.

I read from time to time Chinese and Russian sources about the vaccines. They are indexed by the Google News and pop up in searches. There is far less smearing there than some of the sources of the western propaganda.

Maybe in the social media it is far more common, but I ignore the social media 100% for such stuff, can trust it only for things like the ferry schedule.

• Like 1

@habuspasha

It's based on pure prejudice and western propaganda. Two Chinese vaccines use a traditional technology of inactivated virus and are actually safer.

Watch how a white American took Chinese vaccine

I can give links on people who died of Astrazeneca in Vietnam, Indonesia and European countries but I am not allowed due to certain people here.

However, never force anybody to take what they don't want. It's up to them to choose which vaccine they want for their body. It's their own body.

If you want to travel to western countries, it's better to take western vaccines because it's not approved there, and not because it's not safe to take Sinovac.

Edited by EricTh

On 5/30/2021 at 3:38 PM, placeholder said:

You know, I was convinced that Sinovac was overwhelmingly safe to take. But the argument you presented here has given me pause. Well done!

Well, it WAS Pravda, not exactly world-renowned for its accuracy or editorial prowess. Actually, does it still even exist as a news agency?

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Really, I made a post here on alternatives and it appears to have been taken down, i.e. medicines that have treated similar viruses and were effective, but it was taken down, dare I mention them again ?

Ask yourself this, what are the Thai hospitals prescribing to those with Covid in the hospitals and then send them home once they have past the 14 days quarantine, bet you they aren't vaccinations, but we can't talk about alternatives because the drive is vaccines, don't talk about adverse effects or deaths when it comes to vaccines, freedom of speech has gone out the window.

Here are a list of other treatments current being used, why TVF doesn't allow me to speak freely when the evidence is there sucks.....we should be able to show other sides of the coin, isn't that what forums are about, discussions, information, to agree and to disagree ?

https://www.thailandmedical.news/articles/covid19-drugs

Maybe because it's not relevant to the topic? Why not try posting it as its own subject? Without editorializing.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, gearbox said:

They are quoting the Mexican data too, I assume that is an independent source.

In today's connected world the serious adverse effects can't be hidden for long time. All vaccines are used in a number of countries, impossible to silence all of them.

I read from time to time Chinese and Russian sources about the vaccines. They are indexed by the Google News and pop up in searches. There is far less smearing there than some of the sources of the western propaganda.

Maybe in the social media it is far more common, but I ignore the social media 100% for such stuff, can trust it only for things like the ferry schedule.

Yeah, I guess the Holodomor and Great Leap Forward are ancient history, and the regimes that caused both catastrophes by deliberate policy are now trustworthy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Well, after so many farang "reports" that all the Thais they know don't want to get Sinovac,  I was strolling confident this morning to the vaccination center in Samui to get my first Sinovac jab. Surprise surprise, they ran out of vaccines a day or two ago. My Thai neighbour told me she tried to get a jab yesterday,  she was turned back, no vaccines available anymore.

It's the same in Chiang Mai, I asked whether there are any supply of Sinovac and they said it's all taken.

So all these negative news are just propaganda by certain people that nobody wants Sinovac. It's wise that you didn't get brainwashed by them.

However, one disadvantage of Sinovac is that it's not recognized in western countries so if you want to travel to western countries, it's advisable to take western vaccines.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Yeah, I guess the Holodomor and Great Leap Forward are ancient history, and the regimes that caused both catastrophes by deliberate policy are now trustworthy.

They are history indeed, I met a lot of Russians and Chinese in Samui, none of them looked too skinny from hunger, on the contrary.

If you start going back in history where do you stop? Australia is a land of theft and genocide, check how many Aborigines Tasmania has.

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@habuspasha

It's based on pure prejudice and western propaganda. Two Chinese vaccines use a traditional technology of inactivated virus and are actually safer.

Watch how a white American took Chinese vaccine

I can give links on people who died of Astrazeneca in Vietnam, Indonesia and European countries but I am not allowed due to certain people here.

However, never force anybody to take what they don't want. It's up to them to choose which vaccine they want for their body. It's their own body.

If you want to travel to western countries, it's better to take western vaccines because it's not approved there.

Very slick video. What it doesn't mention is the epidemiological aspect of it. The mRNA vaccines are better at preventing transmission of the virus. So, for the sake of society at large, if you can get an mRNA vaccine you should do so.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

It's the same in Chiang Mai, I asked whether there are any supply of Sinovac and they said it's all taken.

So all these negative news are just propaganda by certain people that nobody wants Sinovac. It's wise that you didn't get brainwashed by them.

However, one disadvantage of Sinovac is that it's not recognized in western countries so if you want to travel to western countries, it's advisable to take western vaccines.

Well.. I think I had enough of this vaccination BS here, started looking at the tickets to Europe. There are plenty of vaccines in Europe,  only need to turn up with ID and get jabbed.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 9:35 AM, clivebaxter said:

You are probably a few million times more likely to get killed on the roads than from sinovac,

If the vaccine was supposed to stop road accident deaths this would be a correct comparison. As the vaccine is designed to stop covid deaths I would try to compare the chances of dying from the virus with and without the vaccine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

The prime minister set a fine example on this. He said he would get vaccinated but cancelled taking the sinovac jab.

He prefered to wait for AZ.

The OPs girlfriend has taken the hint and is following PM Prayuths example..

The reason was that at that time clinical trials for Sinovac was only recommended for below 60 or else he would have taken Sinovac. However, Sinovac is now approved for those above 60. Prayuth is 67 years old.

Anutin is below 60 so he was the first one who took Sinovac.

So we don't need this type of disinformation. There are many links on the reason why PM didn't take Sinovac and it's not what you said. It's due to this age, nothing more , nothing less.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1