Anyone book a 7 day stay in Phuket beginning July 1st?

coastguard

I'm hoping to do so as I return from the US. I don't see much info about what to do exactly. I know I need a COE, etc. But will I be able to just fly from BKK into Phuket and stay at any hotel? Just book it as usual?

I'd think I would have to somehow be categorized as being restricted to leaving Phuket before my 7 days are up.

Or will there just be some sort 7 day restricted visa stamp in my passport?

Or is the likely answer, nobody knows!? Any ideas?

wait for it you will become a walking  wall-ate? with money lots of it like the ABBA Song. and require lots of tests. and confinement in hotels we will squeeze you dry why no one knows what is the rules as it will change every day 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Anyone taking bets that this 1st of July will not happen? and if it will, it will be in such insignificant way just to safe face...

Don't think its going to happen either, the Island isn't ready, the majority of Patong , Karon , Kata, is closed and boarded up,  many for sale / rent signs .......... from what I see anyhow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Don't think its going to happen either, the Island isn't ready, the majority of Patong , Karon , Kata, is closed and boarded up,  many for sale / rent signs .......... from what I see anyhow.

So you mean the Thai government might not open Phuket to Tourists and take their money because it might not be good for tourists yet?  

I don't think Tourism will reach the levels pre-Covid for a long time. I saw estimates that they expect it to take 5 years but I would not be surprised if it takes a decade or more. The deck has been shuffled and Thailand appears to be pulling cards from the bottom of the deck. I say this because many other countries have started Digital Nomad visa schemes. Ease of long term stays, ease of entry and exit without any covid restrictions other than vaccination. Once people get a taste of these other countries like Vietnam and Maldives they may give Thailand a miss and by the time Thailand relaxes all rules the die may be cast and tourists won't care. There always will be tourists who want to visit Thailand and expats who want to live here, but the swarms of Chinese and Indians may go elsewhere. Then again this might be wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

So you mean the Thai government might not open Phuket to Tourists and take their money because it might not be good for tourists yet?  

Their plan is July 1 open up ( sand box ) plan's, entry requirements change all the time though and 4 weeks away yet. Its far off from being pre-covid, be aware of that at least.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

many people that have been unable to return to thailand for the past year will use the sandbox

NOT just tourists

7 nights on a beautiful empty island sure beats 14 nights locked in a hotel room somewhere

Exactly, a Swedish fella left here 4 days ago for 2 Pfizer jabs in Sweden, ( June 1 and July 7 ) and returning to the empty island to avoid ASQ again ! 

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

I just went to apply for a COE and it still has 14 nights quarantine ????

20210530_114847.jpg

With 2 vaccinations, come July 1 you should be able to arrive in Phuket (DIRECTLY) from abroad and roam freely. Of course entry to Phuket is not etched in stone yet.......

Someone started a FB page which is gaining traction with Q n As about the whole Phuket Plan on July 1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/388875605677294/

Can find info there......as for the Sandbox plan to show thais they can trust farangs is a dream--they will never trust us..even pre and post covid

Hence the bubble world that they live in, and we are all trying to get back to.....where all farangs are hansum, velly rich, drive nice cars and live in mansions ????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, merijn said:

Yeah that is correct for a while already.

We talking here about the specific Phuket sandbox model which is separate from the normal COE requirements.

I know this is the sandbox model but you still need a COE (and Covid insurance and PCR test within 72 hrs of flight)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Someone started a FB page which is gaining traction with Q n As about the whole Phuket Plan on July 1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/388875605677294/

Can find info there......as for the Sandbox plan to show thais they can trust farangs is a dream--they will never trust us..even pre and post covid

Hence the bubble world that they live in, and we are all trying to get back to.....where all farangs are hansum, velly rich, drive nice cars and live in mansions ????

this page often states mistruths:

try this one

https://www.facebook.com/groups/phuketsandbox

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bolt said:

If your going to Thailand, who will you believe

• Facebook groups set up by tour operators, or
  • your nearest Thai Embassy,

who will issue you approval or deny you to enter Thailand,

think twice pay once

I agree. Even though sandbox has never flipped flopped from its inception I would wait until it's formal publication before booking and that's what I'm waiting for before smashing the buy button.. however Facebook sandbox is a good resource to start planning 

Importantly if you try to be a <deleted> wit on the sandbox page with the inevitable " they don't want us here" you will get booted ????

• Like 2

As others said, I would wait for it to almost last minute. Rules can change anytime. I'm planning to visit my family in Germany in July and have nothing booked yet. Everything depends when and if I get fully vaccinated in Thailand before leaving. 

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I would do the 7 day sandbox to return as it is so much better than the alternative 15 nights in ASQ solitary confinement

However would genuine "tourists" jump through all the current hoops for a short holiday?

1. Apply COE

2. Buy US$100k covid insurance 

3. PCR test within 72 hrs of flight

4. Fit to Fly Certificate within 72 hrs of flight 

5. PCR test on day 5

6. Download tracking app 

Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought that item 4 ( fit to fly ) was no longer required as of a month or so ago .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Poet said:

The purpose of the Phuket sandbox is prepare Thai public opinion for the idea that fully-vaccinated tourists, from countries will low levels of active cases, pose no biological threat to them.

I believe the Thai government are hoping to re-open the other destinations, in particular Bangkok, far more quickly than they have dared to announce so far. I believe that, during July, they will annouce that the Phuket sandbox has proved to be such a success that, starting on the 1st of August, they are re-opening the whole country to fully-vaccinated tourists with vaccine passport, and dropping all covid-related restrictions such as quarantines, expensive tests, the 7-day rule, CoEs, special insurance etc.

Personally, I would wait one month because things may change rapidly. I would not want to have to stay in Phuket for a week or have a false-positive PCR result in me having an expensive two-week stay in hospital. I would come back when they accept that the vaccination passport is enough, as it appears the US and EU are planning to do. I expect most of the world to follow their lead this summer.

Is the info above your own opinion/ conjecture or an official government plan ?

10 minutes ago, superal said:

Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought that item 4 ( fit to fly ) was no longer required as of a month or so ago .

Still required from Thai embassy in Australia (may have been removed from other countries)

20210530_195058.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bolt said:

If your going to Thailand, who will you believe

• Facebook groups set up by tour operators, or
  • your nearest Thai Embassy,

who will issue you approval or deny you to enter Thailand,

think twice pay once

After all has been officially announced and you need to coordinate with your nearest Thai Embassy I would believe the local Thai Embassy.  Up until that happens I would believe just about anyone more than the nearest Thai Embassy.  I would especially believe people in the tourism industry who have been invited to planning sessions/discussions/briefings by local Phuket government officials over anything that you're likely to get out of a Thai Embassy at this point.  When everything is settled and it may be very last minute (probably even last second) then Thai Embassies will be informed how they need to accommodate the new sandbox policies.  That's the appropriate time to ask questions of your local Thai Embassy, asking before that happens is a waste of time.

So with the caveat that in a fluid situation there are likely to inaccuracies paying attention to the facebook groups following the development of the Phuket Sandbox policies is much more important than asking your nearest Thai Embassy (which if they were truthful should say that they know nothing, they aren't the ones developing the policies).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1