US expats plead for vaccine help in viral Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Anybody receiving USA social security payments and Medicare pays taxes on it.

Minimum Medicare payment (taken from your SSA stipend) is around $105/month if income is minimal, more for higher incomes. From the beginning of the vaccinations they were free to Medicare recipients in America but not expats abroad. So we paid for it but don't get it, as with Medicare itself except when I'm home. Don't forget inheritance tax either. Americans are subject to taxes on income for life, regardless of where they live and earn money. Only two countries in the world are like this.

In that case I wouid guess most Americans here pay, or are subject to, taxes; I certainly do.

That said, I'm enough of a realist not to expect much from my government beyond increasing taxes/ inflation/ property taxes/ bureaucracy, and decreasing police protection and social services, all reasons that I'm here.

I fully expect to dodge the virus in semi-quarantine until I can get and pay for a REAL vaccine here, probably near year end.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

You're talking about Medicare Part B. Expats are not required to pay for that. That's optional. 

57 minutes ago, Jud Canada said:

I live on a small island in PhangNga province and the health authority just came to the house for vaccine registration. Wasn't even looking for vaccination at this point. Apparently the jab is in June. I assumed this would be consistent throughout the kingdom. 

It isn't.

31 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

Stop whining.

You're just going to have to wait like everyone else is doing.

If you don't like you're more than welcome to fly back home.  

Maybe in the unfortunate nation you hail from the right to petition the government is not guaranteed. But in the US Constitution, it's part and parcel of the First Amendment.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

The purpose of an embassy is help ALL it’s citizens living in that country. It has nothing to do with business.

Totally correct..........if you are an expert in wishful thinking. You seem to be a black-belt 10th dan at this practice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lucky2008 said:

Stop whining.

You're just going to have to wait like everyone else is doing.

If you don't like you're more than welcome to fly back home.  

Think you are a little petulant child.  Grownup, people don't have to go home if they don't agree with you.  As waiting like everybody else?  I'm cool with that but everybody isn't waiting.  People in Buriram are getting vaccinated, Chinese at their embassy, people returning to the USA...  Why not look at options?  The more that proactively look to get vaccinated the better? Why am I wasting my energy 555

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lickey said:

Dunno why people are in a hurry to take part in an experiment when they don't have symptoms? 

That's why they have to do marketing campaigns to get people to take them too.  

Get a free lotto ticket if you try this drug.  
Get a free donut.
No airlines for you (oops, that's illegal guess we can't do that but we tried).

Btw, did you know the inventing scientist of mrna was blocked from twitter and FB for saying that it's use does not do whhat the vax companies say it does?  Same with the guy that invented the PCR test saying that it doesn't reveal what the tester's use it for?

crazy world when you are the only true expert as the person that took years to create something, know it inside and out, and then blocked and censored by a bunch of people who've never attended science class as "fact checkers" lol

8 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Many don’t realize that American expats continue to pay taxes to the IRS—despite receiving Social Security.  Last year I paid more in taxes to the IRS, than in most years working in the USA.

That is because your retirement contributions were 'tax deferred' (with the expectation that after you retire you are in a lower tax bracket on average).  You earned the money while you were working, but did not pay taxes on it... the taxes were deferred until the money was 'withdrawn'....(deferred payment). 

Well to a point since we have to file FBAR every year for foreign bank accounts over USD $10k and for the most part if have holdings in banks or over the minimum thresh hold for income have to file tax returns, then they should by all means do the right thing and vaccinate US citizens at the US Embassy or Consulate. Last time I checked these places are US property and funded by US citizens money.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“These are vaccines, offered for free to all in the US, and most of them have been manufactured with taxpayer dollars.”

That is patently false.  Some companies accepted U.S. government monies for research. One notable exception is Pfizer who did not.  Vaccines in the USA that are distributed are "purchased" not manufactured using U.S. tax dollars. 

I would suggest Mr. Risely read the constitution.  It guarantees Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.  It does not say the USA will move heaven and earth to get free vaccines for U.S. citizens "who chose" to live overseas. 

“Biden has publicly announced that all Americans now have access to vaccines, but the government and State seem to have forgotten about us Americans living abroad,” said the chair of Democrats Abroad in Thailand, Paul Risley

Has Mr. Risely, checked Travelocity.  All Americans do have access to vaccines at no cost.  Mr. Biden however did not say he would deliver them to your door.  There are flights leaving every day to the USA mainland or Guam where Mr. Risely and anyone else who wishes can travel to and obtain the vaccine.  The fact that is "inconvenient" is caused not by the USA government but by the person who chose to live someplace else than the USA mainland. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're talking about Medicare Part B. Expats are not required to pay for that. That's optional. 

True, and good point.

If you expect that you might need Medicare, dropping it means major increased cost for life if you ever need to reinstate it. So paying for it is a form of cheap insurance. That's the way I look at it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 10baht said:

Then you do not know the IRS. And if they are in such a low income bracket that the law says they do not pay now, well that's the law. But I'll bet they paid lots when they working.

We also paid for Medicare all of our working lives which we are unable to receive outside of the US.
Virtually all here in the lower income brackets provided the US with funding during their working lives.

i dont know why the expats whining.  all they have to do is fly home and get it and then fly back.   expats dont want nothing to do with home country until then need something then they whine.  do expats pay us taxes ? now u know why embassy says no help for you. no money no shot

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Btw, did you know the inventing scientist of mrna was blocked from twitter and FB for saying that it's use does not do whhat the vax companies say it does?  Same with the guy that invented the PCR test saying that it doesn't reveal what the tester's use it for?

crazy world when you are the only true expert as the person that took years to create something, know it inside and out, and then blocked and censored by a bunch of people who've never attended science class as "fact checkers" lol

Just curious, what exactly was the substance of what he said that was blocked for?

3 hours ago, kamahele said:

While I would love for the US government to offer free vaccines to citizens living abroad, I know it is not their job nor their mission. We made the decision to live abroad and were not forced to do so by our government. 

I could accept that if it was a two way Street. You know, taxes and that sort of thing. ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i dont know why the expats whining.  all they have to do is fly home and get it and then fly back.   expats dont want nothing to do with home country until then need something then they whine.  do expats pay us taxes ? now u know why embassy says no help for you. no money no shot

For arguments sake, let’s say that people who left their country earn less income than is required to pay taxes back home

How about all of the taxes paid prior to leaving? Is that all meaningless?