US expats plead for vaccine help in viral Thailand

webfact

48 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Btw, did you know the inventing scientist of mrna was blocked from twitter and FB for saying that it's use does not do whhat the vax companies say it does?  

False. The "inventing scientist", if it can be said that there is just one, is Katalin Karako, and she said no such thing.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

For arguments sake, let’s say that people who left their country earn less income than is required to pay taxes back home

How about all of the taxes paid prior to leaving? Is that all meaningless?

just fly home and get the shot. easy

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, fusion58 said:

I have zero expectations as I already know very well that the U.S. Embassy wouldn't bother to urinate on me if I were on fire (see income affidavits.)

Try getting help from the British Embassy; they would even charge you for the Urine !

4 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

just fly home and get the shot. easy

I’ll give you credit.  When most people can’t answer a question because they know it’ll destroy whatever point they were trying to make, they just ignore it completely 

But you actually responded to my post just to ignore it because you had no answer. 

Impressive 

50 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Proof of concept. 

They can do it.

They just don't want to.

Just do that for good optic or PR since China have started their plan to vaccinate all their citizens aboard. US wanted a positive projection in their cold war. Like you posted, they can do it if they want to. They got the surplus vaccines and they have institutional representation in different shapes and forms in almost all countries in the world. 

• Like 1

The line from Jen Psaki is that healthcare of US citizens abroad is not the Govt's responsibility. As a general principle agree but in this special case of a pandemic they could easily set up a system where we pay to get it. Sign up for say $50 or even $100 and they ship the shots provided there's a minimum number of orders.

It won't be hard to organize paid supplies. Hospitals in the US will be happy to get excess of their hands. But the original petition asking for free vaccines shipped to citizens abroad won't fly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, starky said:

Well said. Thanks. If American citizens are that concerned for their safety in this country then naturally they should leave.

Maybe they are only concerned for all the people in Thailand and everyone who gets the vaccine then 1 less chance of a variant.

6 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Logistically it would be a nightmare to pull off - all countries Americans are in...

easier to just book a flight home and get it within a few days...

and then get a gym workout and a lap swim in which one can’t do in thailand...

And have a beer????

5 hours ago, atpeace said:

I agree, have Americans register and send over the vaccine.  Hell, add 5,000 baht to cover extra costs.  Probably much more complicated but it would be nice.  Life could be worse and think I'm just going to have to extend my stay at this resort for a few more months ( been 3 already ) and wait for a jab.  Love where I'm stuck now on the Thai/Lao border but would like to be free to travel.

Well, then take a trip home to get a Johnson jab. It's only once off. 

And stop complaining. 

You are free to travel. ????

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, atpeace said:

People in Buriram are getting vaccinated, Chinese at their embassy

Buriram residents are being forced to beyond their will to have to sign up and then get the jab from the little control freak trying to be a cattle herder using penalties and jail terms as his electric prod. Chinese people and China? Don't buy it as being compassionate as usual as for par for the CCP course there is probably some ulterior motive to show the world and then may probably be to keep them obedient and supportive marching under the red flag. But I could be wrong, but what are the chances on that?

Yes, it is good if their abroad living citizens can get their homemade vaccine if they want that stuff, but as in the CM forum yesterday it was posted that 3 nationalities here in CM being Chinese (318 people), American (249) and British (213) have signed up for local Thailand given jabs. We do have a China consulate here, but it points to the many Chinese who are living or stuck here is that they are not going through the Chinese Consulate because it in fact may not yet be offered there as at the moment as may be caught up in a bureaucratic entanglement with Thailand's Junta based government holding things up so they can control most all here. Also isn't this is based on Sinopharm and not Sinovac? Too much lip service and back peddling make things extremely difficult to read this Junta government's real intentions, but at least for the many of Thai people and some foreigners here it seems to be picking up some sort of momentum. I would have gathered that most Chinese people here would have waited for the Sinopharm to come out as what is the majority of vaccine supposedly jabbed in China. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Oh dear, please I am an American in Thailand, living the good life and I want my country , where I left looking for a better life to vaccinate me . Oh dear poor unintelligent ignorant Americans, wake up this is the real world, why the hell would a country if fact any country vaccinate their people who have left . So sorry now Americans know they are no longer the best or the biggest or even the most democratic of countries, suck it up and wait just like the rest of us . Grow a set and become men .

Maybe helping as a foundation volunteer for no money makes one a ball-less wonder, or teaching for next to nothing, or spying? Not everyone is ..." living the good life"... Some are trying to contribute to unfortunate Thais to give them a better life.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Oh dear, please I am an American in Thailand, living the good life and I want my country , where I left looking for a better life to vaccinate me . Oh dear poor unintelligent ignorant Americans, wake up this is the real world, why the hell would a country if fact any country vaccinate their people who have left . So sorry now Americans know they are no longer the best or the biggest or even the most democratic of countries, suck it up and wait just like the rest of us . Grow a set and become men . 

Oh the irony of this line in the middle of this post...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lifeincnx said:

Both my wife and I are state and Federal US tax payers. regardless of location, as we the tax payers paid for it, your point is moot. 

I also pay state and federal - and I would guess that if I were in a state, they would get the vaccine to me or me to it... however, living in the wilds past CNX I do not expect them to track me down... 

5 hours ago, Bangkok Basha said:

I wonder if he knows how few of the expats here actually pay U.S. taxes. I do, but most probably don't. 

Not me! That's largely why I got out of Dodge. The US does mostly evil with its money.

In this situation, the US taxpayers funded vaccine development...so corporations could profit by them!

its time TVF members think about the full picture of a vaccine rollout not just the vaccine

If the embassies were to provide vaccines, they would also be required to provide full infrastructure, doctors, nurses, field hospitals to implement a vaccine rollout including providing support facilities if someone develops compilations symptoms from receiving the vaccine.

They wouldn't be allowed to overload the Thai medical infrastructure with the own vaccine rollout program

And the embassies know that as a similar scenario wouldn't be permitted in their own countries by a foreign government

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, HappyinNE said:

As a US Citizen I am required to pay US taxes on monies that I take out of my retirement accounts.  Also I need to report any Thai bank accounts and interest earned on them.

No I am no longer working and I do live full time in Thailand.  Every year I file my US Tax return.

This taxation angle is a moot red herring anyway. All Americans over a certain age are included in the US. Our exclusion has nothing to do with taxation and everything to do with location.

Just now, vinny41 said:

its time TVF members think about the full picture of a vaccine rollout not just the vaccine

If the embassies were to provide vaccines, they would also be required to provide full infrastructure, doctors, nurses, field hospitals to implement a vaccine rollout including providing support facilities if someone develops compilations symptoms from receiving the vaccine.

They wouldn't be allowed to overload the Thai medical infrastructure with the own vaccine rollout program

And the embassies know that as a similar scenario wouldn't be permitted in their own countries by a foreign government

You're inventing excuses. Forgot to mention dog ate homework.

In the case of the US foreign nationals even illegal ones  got fair and free access based on risk groups. No need for their embassies to act.

• Like 2