US expats plead for vaccine help in viral Thailand

webfact

23 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

"easy"??????? Maybe, but extremely risky for those of us over 60. In fact, it could cost some of us our lives. No Thanks!

So could refusing the free vaccine the Thai government is offering you. Beggars can't be choosers.

15 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I also pay state and federal - and I would guess that if I were in a state, they would get the vaccine to me or me to it... however, living in the wilds past CNX I do not expect them to track me down... 

I live in Thailand that many would  say is, "in a state"

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

f the embassies were to provide vaccines, they would also be required to provide full infrastructure, doctors, nurses, field hospitals to implement a vaccine rollout including providing support facilities if someone develops compilations symptoms from receiving the vaccine.

Is that what they did for veterans in The Philippines? Or were they done by the VHA?

50 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

just fly home and get the shot. easy

the thai government will not recognize fully vaccinated people returning and will require everyone to quarantine.  its a backwards country.  its time for universal vaccine passports that are recognized worldwide.  i have carried a yellow book for 50 years internationally.   

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, malibukid said:

the thai government will not recognize fully vaccinated people returning and will require everyone to quarantine.  its a backwards country 

What and get suckered twice... they already fell for the fake test certificates.

5 hours ago, the green light said:

One must understand the purpose of an Embassy.

It is not to take care of the ordinary joe on most important matter.  Only you can get help to order a new passport, add pages to your passport  or just register you infant or get a paper notarized... with kick and screaming they are obliged to perform these duties. That is it all.

Their  true function is to cater  for the US business community and people in the US government travelling overseas.... So these are the people who will get the vaccines or special treatment.. and not you.

Look at it from their point of view: the ordinary joe lives in Thailand and spend his  SS money in  Thailand, enjoying the good life . .  Even if you work at a job in Thailand you are only paying Thai taxes and not US taxes. Mr. Joe,  by living in Thailand, you have zero contribution to the US economy.. why do you except to be equal to Mr. Microsoft  or any body working for the state department

Sorry that is the true fact.. 

So much is incorrect here. Where to start: Your uniformed "Even if you work at a job in Thailand you are only paying Thai taxes and not US taxes." Get your facts straight before spreading these untruths.

"The U.S. is one of just two countries that imposes income tax based on citizenship, not just residence. U.S. citizens and green card holders continue to be subject to U.S. tax even when they live in a foreign country. Since the U.S. taxes worldwide income, both the income earned back in the U.S. and the income earned in the foreign country continue to be subject to U.S. tax." https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report/top-16-u-s-expat-tax-myths-part-1

you wrote "One must understand the purpose of an Embassy." Your opinion. This is official statement, bit different (at least lip service)

"The mission of the United States Embassy is to advance the interests of the United States, and to serve and protect U.S. citizens in Thailand. The Embassy reports and analyzes developments in Thailand of concern to the United States, and advances a broad range of U.S. policy initiatives.  I added underline bold. This from US Embassy.

"Sorry that is the true fact.. " Sorry but you are talking out of your backside

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yet the Chinese were able to do it for their citizens, and there are far more Chinese in Thailand than Americans.

And no doubt if any of the Chinese citizens receiving  the vaccine if they develop compilations symptoms from receiving the vaccine will be prepared to fly back to China if medical facilities are not available in Thailand

3 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Since the U.S. taxes worldwide income, both the income earned back in the U.S. and the income earned in the foreign country continue to be subject to U.S. tax.

Not if you make under $100,000, the last time I needed to check.  When I worked in Thailand, it was easy to stay under that.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

What are we, chopped liver?

Yes and no... We'll chop it up when you pass on as part of the autopsy.  The US embassy is not here to take care of the medical needs of the Expat community. Their #1 priority is as a US government to Thai government liaison and promotion of mutual benefits. The citizens services are just that... but not their main function, which is why they cost so much. 

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And no doubt if any of the Chinese citizens receiving  the vaccine if they develop compilations symptoms from receiving the vaccine will be prepared to fly back to China if medical facilities are not available in Thailand

Perhaps the Chinese will take the same precautions the US took for its citizens at one time in Thailand, when the US government still cared for Americans and supplied hepatitis B vaccines.  

When Gary Suwannarat first moved to Thailand in the 1980s, she and her family were vaccinated against hepatitis B, a major public health concern in Asia at the time, on the grounds of the U.S. Consulate in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai.     https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/overseas-and-overlooked-americans-thailand-seek-vaccines

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, then take a trip home to get a Johnson jab. It's only once off. 

And stop complaining. 

You are free to travel. ????

you are not free to return to Thailand without a quarantine.  thai government must get brown envelope and kickback from quarantine hotel to compensate for loss of face that rich farang. get vaccine in home country while rollout bungled in Thailand

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

"I heard a report that the US embassy in Manila was providing vaccines to expats from the surplus supply from the VA hospital. So proof that there is nothing stopping them except pigheadishness."

Can you quote your source?  I know a few Americans in the PI.  They have not heard of this

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

MO, The U.S. should donate 5 million doses to Thailand, of which 500,000 would be delivered to Americans. The remaining 4.5 m doses would be administered as the Thai government sees fit.

Pfizer, J&J and Moderna are all approved for emergency use by The Thai FDA.

U.S. officials here have received Pfizer.

Sounds like you overcount Americans in Thailand. Anyway, those 5,000,000 doses would help cover other difficult situations, i.e. India, where the local government wilfully neglected to build vaccine production capacity last year, so now Americans are in the lurch there, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And in the far more likely event that they come down with a severe case of covid if unvaccinated?

"Many were forced from the USA due to the high cost of living there.  While I am sure there are many wealthy expats in Thailand, many are not!" 

Did  someone actually force you to leave?  Or did you make an independent decision to live in a more economically favorable place?  Also, I am not wealthy but I worked/invested/planned for my old age.  At this point LOS is working out for me(maybe not for much longer).  We all have choices.  Some are not great.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

"I heard a report that the US embassy in Manila was providing vaccines to expats from the surplus supply from the VA hospital. So proof that there is nothing stopping them except pigheadishness."

Can you quote your source?  I know a few Americans in the PI.  They have not heard of this

Youtube: The Philippine Information Channel

"It's a pandemic dear.

They could if they wanted to add a temporary new item to the price list.  

Covid19 vaccine."

1) I am not a dear

2) So you would wait in line to enter the Embassy on Wireless Road and pay 3000 to 5000 Baht for a vaccine and come back 3 or 4 weeks later and do it again?  Both Pifizer and Moderna require 2 doses(Pfizer 3 weeks apart and Moderna 4 weeks apart).  J&J (the one dose vaccine) is limited in supply.  

The minute some Americans are told the Covid 19 Vaccine is not free at an Embassy some might blow a gasket and cry discrimination?  

Always a "Catch 22' when it comes to pleasing us Americans.  

"I'm not thrilled about taking a long flight while not vaccinated or quarantining in Thailand. "

Did it twice this year(flew over 18,000 miles in one month).  Paid for 5 RT-PCR tests in 2021.  All came back "Not Detected".  One can fly long haul international and still be safe.  Also, did quarantine as well  I am now in CNX and planning on another long haul flight to get vaccinated. 

US expats plead for vaccine help in viral Thailand. 

Why would the US vaccinate US people that aren't in the US ? 

There are Millions of Americans All over the World .

First of all the US doesn't Know where they all are.

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

US expats plead for vaccine help in viral Thailand. 

Why would the US vaccinate US people that aren't in the US ? 

There are Millions of Americans All over the World .

First of all the US doesn't Know where they all are.

Talking about Thailand. 

The embassy knows we're abundant here but not overwhelmingly so.

Just announce a vaccine program and those that want it and can get to the embassy and consulate will get it. Not rocket science. Remember AmeriCAN? Is that over? 

• Like 2

Youtube: The Philippine Information Channel

The Philippine Info Channel
The Philippine Info Channel

10.2K subscribers

I thought you got your information from an official source(like a news organization or an actual journalist?).

This youtube channel is a guy who talks into camera.  Also, which specific video does he mention that American expats are being vaccinated by the Manila Embassy?