Forum upgrade in progress! ×

What is the car model year in Thailand? Date car is Manufactured or Date first Registered?

5 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

It is confusing, I order my car in November 2020, they deliver it to me at 7 January 2021, but the insurance start at 28 December 2020.

In the blue book stay model year 2020, Registration date 26 January 2021, the date I got my white license plate.

Your VIN number with tell what year model it is recorded as. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Indeed, doesn't matter when you bought the car or when it was first registered, the VIN code is it's "birth date".....

Yeah I don't know why people worry about it's not like the number plate oneupmanship here you get in the UK.  ????

I still have a label on my bike and it state it's a 1993 model but it finished manufacturer completion at the Japanese factory in 5th May 1992.

The Thai green book states it was registered in Thailand 26th May 1994.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

It is confusing, I order my car in November 2020, they deliver it to me at 7 January 2021, but the insurance start at 28 December 2020.

In the blue book stay model year 2020, Registration date 26 January 2021, the date I got my white license plate.

In Thailand it can be confusing for a number of reasons. 

The person I bought my bike off who have been looking after it for someone went by the date in the green book which was fair enough.

Because that's when it came out

the box and registered in Thailand for using on road. 

When I saw it, I thought yeah 1994 only because it had a 1994 front but found the plate on the frame that revelled all. 

The front was replaced to make it look the later model. 

That in my case was a shame but keeping up with the Joneses or the Hiso's is a sport here. ????

For me ,  I ignore the date in the top right hand corner of the registration book , I also ignore the date the vehicle was first registered.

I always insist on seeing the service book as this shows normally on the first page the date the vehicle was sold at the showroom.

That for me is the correct way .

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brick Top said:

For me ,  I ignore the date in the top right hand corner of the registration book , I also ignore the date the vehicle was first registered.

I always insist on seeing the service book as this shows normally on the first page the date the vehicle was sold at the showroom.

Could be an old stock ride, just dragged out of their stock car park.

The VIN code tells all. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brick Top said:

Well I would disagree.  A car "could be" built in 2019, used as a  demo at the dealership for all of 2020, and sold in 2021.  That in my mind would not make it a 2021 car.  

I would also not think it is totally accurate to use date of manufacture.   If a car was built in December of 2020 there is no way it could be delivered to the dealer and sold prior to 2021.   

Most cars have model changeover dates.  Cars built after a certain date in the calendar year get the "new" features, looks, colors of the next calendar year.  To me that is the Model Year.  I am looking at some cars right now that the 2020 models had totally different alloy wheels than the 2019 models.  So if you are looking at a car built in 2019 with the older style wheels it is a 2019 model.  If you have a car built in 2019 but with the newer style wheels in my mind that is a 2020 model but apparently the book would still record it as a 2019. 

It would seem simple but then again this is Thailand for the manufacturer who issues the book to put what model year the car is.  That is the way it is done in the USA.  Cars built from lets say January - August are 2019's but those built September - December are 2020.  But apparently that is not the way it works here in Thailand that there is no mid year model changeover date. 

• Like 1

a car built during late 2020 is Sold as per when it was first put up for Registrating on purchase...

however when you Sell it - you have to accept the CarYard have you over a barrel - that it is a 2020 car

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brick Top said:

The correct date of vehicles completion is in the VIN number the only date not to ignore but the registration number should not be ignored either because that's when the kilometres readings start to record.

There are many times when the car manufacturer's provide incentives some to the end customers in the form of extended warranty free servicing for a number of years these they announce on their website

In a perfect world every car that rolls off the production line has already been sold to either a dealer or end customer

car manufacturer's are aware that car's produced in December are less desirable and are perceived by the end customer to be of less value  and are harder for the dealer to sell than a car that is produced in January so they will offer incentives to the dealers to purchase those cars, some of those incentives to the dealer maybe a higher discount on future car purchases or a lower price.

manufacturers leave it down to the dealership if they want to pass those discounts on to the end customer or not

On facebook group pages around February/March/April you will see dealers trying to offload the late 2020 cars sometimes they will offer depending on make and model upto 200,000 baht discount for a late 2020 model or a much lower discount if you want a 2021 model

the majority of times the dealer will never offer late discounted cars on their websites it only offered through facebook group pages