Remember when.......

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

That was the time of the new fangled electric. I can remember the lamp lighter with his pole to light the gas lamps. We kids would sometimes follow him and climb the pole to turn the gas off. We were threatened of course, but he never did catch us. Happy days.

ha ha I remember the gaslight too on the corner of our street, we would climb the pole and light a fag ,but God help you

if you broke the silk mantle , they had a chain on and off 55

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

When we had a tv and no one else for about the next 10 houses in the road there was something on tv that scared all of us . I think it was called Face at the window . The adults were on the settee and us kids were hiding behind it a peering over the top.

and Quatermass that must have been the first sci fi program

2 hours ago, lodstewart said:

and Quatermass that must have been the first sci fi program

Yes that scared me and I still remember a creature on a crane and the ground rippling.

Quatermass and the pit I think it was. Thing found on the undrground .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Dum dum dum dum Esso Blue....

Words to a song: "they asked me how I knew it was Esso Blue, I of course replied, with other brands you buy, smoke gets in your eyes".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
On 6/9/2021 at 12:07 AM, CharlieH said:

Indian restaurants were only found in India.

Many in the UK. I guess the equivalent of Mexican in the US

Friday night was curry night when I was in college - The Curry Queen in Southsea, Portsmouth.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

When we had a tv and no one else for about the next 10 houses in the road there was something on tv that scared all of us . I think it was called Face at the window . The adults were on the settee and us kids were hiding behind it a peering over the top.

We had to rent our tv from the 'Reddy' or Redifusion. It used to have a channel switch on the wall behind the window curtain. Later on we got our own affordable portable but still black and white. It had its own aerial so we were able to pick up programs from Harlech TV on a good day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Yep, I was one of the kids hiding behind the settee when Quatermass was on, desperate to go to the loo, but daren't go into the hall because the light wasn't on.

Ah, yes...

Nil Illegitimi Carborundum  The Btds will never grind the Brits down  55

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobandyson said:

We had to rent our tv from the 'Reddy' or Redifusion. It used to have a channel switch on the wall behind the window curtain. Later on we got our own affordable portable but still black and white. It had its own aerial so we were able to pick up programs from Harlech TV on a good day.

and before TV there was Radio Relay, that was just a speaker with a switch that clicked about two radio programs

I think it was the home service and the light program  55

18 hours ago, faraday said:

The smell of paraffin & inside you could see a little blue light.

There was a cartoon advert about buying paraffin, just cannot recall it.

That was the Esso Blee Dooler.

Sorry Charlie, just seen your previous reply.

Edited by KannikaP

33 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

We had Neptune , chap came and stopped and kids would appear from all over.  Wooden crates holding  Dandelion and B.  etc.    I remember going on holiday , not Butlins but other hoilday camps and my fav. drink was cream soda on top of a scoop of ice cream.

Was it something like ' Boom boom boom boom Esso blue '

Had to lift the chimney on the stove to light the wick.

Would that be Pontins ?