Remember when.......

2 hours ago, lodstewart said:

Brown & Mild yes , a lovely Pint I think it was about 1/10 just under 2 bob. often saw older women  drink stout

Just remembered Makinson ( not sure of the spelling) draft at our gliding club, a brilliant drink 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

My Dad always drank it.

ci-mackeson-xxx-stout-48db5da8cb947af3.jpeg

That's the one, a very nice stout.  Do they still produce it? If so, I wonder if you can order it here? If I recall, we used to mix it 50/ 50 with cider, wasn't that a Black Velvet? Goodness, my mouth is watering. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That's the one, a very nice stout.  Do they still produce it? If so, I wonder if you can order it here? If I recall, we used to mix it 50/ 50 with cider, wasn't that a Black Velvet? Goodness, my mouth is watering. 

mate of ours drank Maccy stout  or guiness with a glass of red ruby port tipped in, lovely.

yes Black Velvet with Cider I think, Black &Tan with Mild. same colour as the pub ceiling with all the years of nicotine stain   55

and what happened to the public and saloon bars ,  where did they go and why ?

my first car was a 1938 Standard flying nine, side valve engine , 6volt battery crank handle of course as they all did.

the cylinder head was just a slab nothing was in it at all except the spark plugs , as all sidevalve engines were in those days.

then later came the OHV but still had the camshaft in the block, valves operated by push rods up to the rocker shaft ,

then came the Overhead cam , which was the obvious progression for all production cars. many variations of this were tried ,

the Jowett Javelin was one,  a flat 4,  I remember,

anyone else remember those old engines and models of  long ago

On 6/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, CharlieH said:

The swimming pool in town was the "Turkish Baths" so referred to locally as "going to the baths" . Spent many an hour or two after school or on Saturday.

There used to be public baths two blocks down our street. I preferred going there than having a bath at home. The baths were knocked down to make way for an outdoor netball court. Never once did I see anyone using it. But then netball (basketball) was only for sissies back in those days.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Can recall Dutton&Foreshaw......pint of bitter 11p.........beer was nice and weak......you could drink a few pints without falling over or starting a fight.......beers and larger are too strong nowadays I feel........there is a niche market developing in the UK now for weaker beers.

There was a Dutton&Foreshaw showroom only two blocks away from our house. But it was a car showroom with a repair garage at the rear. Above the showroom there was a snooker hall. Nothing like the halls of today that are carpeted and have good air ventilation and lighting. No, this snooker hall was so smoke-filled it resembled low lying clouds and the smell of tobacco smoke and spilled beer was horrible to me as a kid.

And yet quite often at tea-time, my mum would send me to go look for my dad who would pop-in there occasionally from work on his way home. So, mum would give me 3d to go and see if he's there and my dad would give me 6d to tell mum that he wasn't there.

I had a nice little earner for a while. That is, until one time I said to my mum 'Dad said he wasn't there.' ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bobandyson said:

There was a Dutton&Foreshaw showroom only two blocks away from our house. But it was a car showroom with a repair garage at the rear. Above the showroom there was a snooker hall. Nothing like the halls of today that are carpeted and have good air ventilation and lighting. No, this snooker hall was so smoke-filled it resembled low lying clouds and the smell of tobacco smoke and spilled beer was horrible to me as a kid.

And yet quite often at tea-time, my mum would send me to go look for my dad who would pop-in there occasionally from work on his way home. So, mum would give me 3d to go and see if he's there and my dad would give me 6d to tell mum that he wasn't there.

I had a nice little earner for a while. That is, until one time I said to my mum 'Dad said he wasn't there.' ????

in London all Burtons tailors had a billiard hall above, Joe Davis was the name I remember, but it was always Billiards

no snooker, I think snooker originated in colonial India

• Like 1

petrol ration cards 1973, i worked in a petrol station at that time we were only allowed to sell xxx amount of gallons per day, then had to close, queues were round the block, ration cards were issued but as far as i remember never used.

1973 ration cards.jpg

On 6/9/2021 at 5:47 PM, lodstewart said:

just for kids in London, can't remember how much , but I think sixpence (in real money)

ours was the ABC cinema in Catford and we were known as the ABC minors  ha

mile end east london for me i think it was an Odeon, had yo yo competitions

• Like 1

First job maybe around 12yr old wage was Half a Crown same as my pocket money, helping the milkman I can still remember his name Les Underwood, Friday he'd be running late collecting money, so after school,; Sat meet him around 6am after walking about a mile. We'd stop for breakfast he'd buy me a sausage sandwich in the cafe, now if memory serves me, delivered Sundays milk also, so he had a day off. Cream, eggs, bread, butter, micky drink, and orange juice. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lodstewart said:

in London all Burtons tailors had a billiard hall above, Joe Davis was the name I remember, but it was always Billiards

no snooker, I think snooker originated in colonial India

Wow I never realized that is why the local teddy boy/then rockers hung out above ours in my town was a cafe with pin ball machines.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

My Dad always drank it.

images (18) (11).jpeg

“Looks good, tastes good and, by golly, it does you good” was one of the catchphrases used in the Mackeson adverts. Very nice mixed with half a pint of Newcastle Exhibition to make a "macky tan"

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

Levi stay press trousers. ben sherman shirts with a pleat on the back and a hanging tab, sabre jumpers and crombie overcoat or a harrington jacket, dr martin boots, would have been late 60's early 70's

Looked a lot smarter than all those hippies, unwashed dreamers.

Loved my DM's, Cherry Red & I was constantly polishing them. For which I had the pish taken out of me!????????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, faraday said:

Loved my DM's, Cherry Red & I was constantly polishing them. For which I had the pish taken out of me!????????

So you didnt have a "Parka" then ? ????

images (18) (11).jpeg

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, faraday said:

Hey Faraday........gotcha !

images (18) (12).jpeg

• Haha 1