Remember when.......

At 1 holiday camp in the late '50s there was a putting tournament and in the final was my goodself and a girl called Pauline , she won but I didn't mind .

Possibly the same year on Guy Fawkes night I kissed Jenifer who lived next door , funny how you remember stuff from 60 years ago,.  Her little sister was called Gay , can't be many children called Gay these days.  Not only that her surname was Parsons  , Gay Parsons , imagine.

20 hours ago, bobandyson said:

When I was in my late teens I rode through Rhyll on my Harley and was saddened to see the shops that once sold 'Kiss me Quick' hats, rubber rings, souvenir tat, postcards etc were closed or boarded up. The side-streets off the main road hardly had any B+B signs up. I guess at that time everyone was starting to go to Spain instead. And that was before computers, game consoles, microwaves, satellite tv, internet etc. So I've no idea what it's like now.

Puts me in mind of a shop area outside Nee Soon military camp in Singapore. I'd served there in the early 70s with ANZUK ( for those that remember that ). When the Brits were there the shop area ( Transit Rd ) Was a busy place with all sorts of shops and restaurants etc. I went back to Singapore on a visit in the 90s ( after all foreign troops had left ) and it was sad to see how derelict it had become. Nee Soon camp had become a SAF camp and those troops obviously didn't get paid well enough to be spending money there.

I don't know if the camp is still there, but I'm sure the shop area has been redeveloped by now

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 9:01 PM, bert bloggs said:

I had a girlfriend ,we had known each other from tots ,i remember going to her shed in the garden and playing dickie doctors,where we looked at each others bits ,we were about 5 at the time,memories,memories

bert bloggs after a lifetime of regret and remorse tonight i can sleep without that weight of disgust that has followed me for 60+ years, why, i thought it was only me at 11 years old played dicky doctors, thankyou for freeing me from what i thought  was a fault in my upbringing. 

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2021 at 6:07 AM, billythehat said:

The Old Grey Whistle Test. Whilst we 3 boys were supposedly tucked in bed and ma and pa were slugging it out down the local pub, our elder sisters would let us down to watch this great music program on the telly....

I remember listening to Radio Luxemburge under the bed covers after mum and dad went to bed. All the latest and best music - but it faded in and out. Had to constantly adjust the volume.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, Almer said:

Corona man used to deliver to the door 

And so did the Davenports man ...image.jpeg.3fd37122232e20ad24eda3ca3c8d9d1e.jpeg

Who'd a thunk that all these years later Thailand would ban home deliveries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I remember listening to Radio Luxemburge under the bed covers after mum and dad went to bed. All the latest and best music - but it faded in and out. Had to constantly adjust the volume.

I had a Perdio tranny.

One of these...

Perdio.jpg.bb0ba3a9db6a176587a4f71482cd81f1.jpg

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I had a Perdio tranny.

We had a stereo-gram. A big top-lidded wooden cabinet structure with a turn-table inside which was made mostly of bakerlite. None of this modern-day moulded plastic material krap.

19 hours ago, faraday said:

"6d worth of Chips & some scratchings please"

In newspaper, walking around the town with my mates.

And if you didn't have 6d you could pay with a bundle of newspapers.

Chippy owners were English except the two nearest to me who happened to be Italian, father and son.

Maternal grandparents had a chippy that was bombed during the war. Luckily mum and her brother were evacuated to Wales to escape the bombings.

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Who'd have thought that later you would learn a whole new meaning for "tranny" ! ????

I was going to make a comment about that in my post, but thought better of it!   woot.gif.c61d30adde19985c49642a43f4157251.gif

Tea made from leaves & not bags.

I'm sure my mum used to buy it loose from the co-op..I have a picture in my mind that she did. Is this correct?

Anyone remember their mum co-op dividends number?

66563...never knew how much she got from them.

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Tea made from leaves & not bags.

I'm sure my mum used to buy it loose from the co-op..I have a picture in my mind that she did. Is this correct?

Anyone remember their mum co-op dividends number?

66563...never knew how much she got from them.

I can only remember stamps ? And the Greenshield stamps ?

Also sitting and counting the bundles of Embassy cigarette coupons...lol

download.jpeg

images (18) (14).jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 2:16 AM, Almer said:

bert bloggs after a lifetime of regret and remorse tonight i can sleep without that weight of disgust that has followed me for 60+ years, why, i thought it was only me at 11 years old played dicky doctors, thankyou for freeing me from what i thought  was a fault in my upbringing. 

However, I now feel deprived that I never got to play dicky doctors at 11. Life is so unfair.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:05 AM, JetsetBkk said:

I had a Perdio tranny.

One of these...

Perdio.jpg.bb0ba3a9db6a176587a4f71482cd81f1.jpg

At school, one in my class was lucky enough to have a small tranny like that. We'd sit outside and listen to the pop songs during break time. My favourite was The Seekers singing The Carnival is Over. With the <deleted> that passes for pop music today I doubt kids today get the same sort of pleasure from music as we did.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

With the <deleted> that passes for pop music today I doubt kids today get the same sort of pleasure from music as we did.

Said every "old fart" since the dawn of time. ????

Edited by Salerno
  • Haha 1

Sovereign fags.... cheaper than No.6 as I remember.

They did have the advantage of being able to be loaded in to a .22 calibre air rifle & shot out. 

Made them damn difficult to smoke afterwards though. 

????????????????????

IMG_20210619_102143.png

• Like 1