Remember when.......

I dread to think what the next 50 yrs will bring,but i bet todays kids will look back and think how good it was,

I was so lucky my family were not short of a bob or two,mId 60s i went to live in London,because of an actress i knew i met ,so many famous people( not so famous then) the swinging 60s and 70s were so amazing.

But before that it was good to be young,out all day with my mates home when it got dark ,had a gun and used to make bombs out of sodium chlorite and sugar in a copper tube,and throw them in the fields,can you imagine what would happen now if you did it? 

Even my daughter looks back to the80s and says how good it was playing out in the street with her mates,now most of the people living in those same streets cant speak English.

Glad i live here in Thailand,

Sorry for going on but its been an amazing life i have had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

But before that it was good to be young,out all day with my mates home when it got dark ,had a gun and used to make bombs out of sodium chlorite and sugar in a copper tube,and throw them in the fields,can you imagine what would happen now if you did it? 

Jeez.....finally met someone who also made bombs out of weedkiller and sugar, although it was extremely dangerous and quite a few people got blown up making them.

I used to use metal pipe sometimes a couple of inches in diameter, and once used them to blow up part of bridge over the river, near where I lived, and then foolishly experimented with the wooden goalposts which were laying on the ground and had been taken down for the end of the season, blowing them to pieces.

I believe I'm lucky to be alive because we found out that the mixture of weedkiller and sugar was highly unstable and could be set off by anything, even vibration, and there I was transporting about half a dozen of these pipe bombs, strapped across my petrol tank on my motorbike, heading into the woods to blow up some trees!!!!

Yes, like you, I would be out all day when I was younger and no one really bothered or worried about it, as long as you showed up in time for bed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I had one that had Popeyes head. Refills were hard to find, though. Anyway much better cheap sweets available.

Black-jacks & fruit salad.

Those luminous pink shrimps.

Gob-stoppers.

Parma Violets.

Love hearts.

Opal fruits.

Tunes.

Edible cigarettes (banned during the anti-smoking crusade).

And of course rows and rows of sweets in jars put in a paper-bag with twisted corners.

Spangles

Jelly snakes

Bubble gum with Beatles cards inside

Comics

Barley sugar sticks

Gum ball machines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

yes,  all sweet shops had scales, loose sweets were sold usually 2 oz in a paper bag.

and were all still on ration until the fifties I think , I remember when sweets came off ration, but I cannot remember the date.

only allowed 2oz of sweets a week on ration. that would have made a lot of difference to the nations teeth , if they had stayed on.

anyone remember House Of Bewley shops ? tobacco of every kind sold loose , what a lovely smell that was .

I remember in the town where I was born there was a paper shop , Chevertons I think it was called and in the window was a big coffee thing , above was one of those little  fast spinning air fans , the smell coming out was very 'holesome  as my grand dad would say.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 11:10 AM, Pilotman said:

There was Mild Beer and there was Bitter Beer and you could mix the two or have a shandy.  Not a bottle of foreign lager anywhere and if you asked for a cocktail outside of London you would be laughed out of the pub. 

I think I said on a similar post a while back . Around 1970 at our watering hole there had been a delivery strike . First night the draft beer ran out . Next night we started on spirits , getting hung over the next night we asked what else was available , we were told bottled lager ...............no one wanted that . What do we drink here ............same horrideous stuff.

58 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Spangles

Jelly snakes

Bubble gum with Beatles cards inside

Comics

Barley sugar sticks

Gum ball machines

yes Now you bring back the memories spangles 55, that gumball machine was out the front of every sweetshop .

usually a newsagents, fags and sweets,

many sold cigarettes single for those that couldn't afford a full pack, had 5 packs then too, 

Turf always had good fagcards , players weights, woodbines were

the working mans fags, later was Kensitas (or some name like that) with gift tokens.

2 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

yes Now you bring back the memories spangles 55, that gumball machine was out the front of every sweetshop .

usually a newsagents, fags and sweets,

many sold cigarettes single for those that couldn't afford a full pack, had 5 packs then too, 

Turf always had good fagcards , players weights, woodbines were

the working mans fags, later was Kensitas (or some name like that) with gift tokens.

Ha......my recollection is No6 cigarettes (?)......or senior service (?).    I can remember the lady in the shop opening  packets and selling cigarettes, as you say, individually or maybe in batches of five. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

In deed I do sir . My fist car was given to me , a 1938 Hillman Minx , I past my test in it in 1968 , I think I sold it for a fiver and with insurance money that had been with held since a bad bike accident in 1964 , at 21 yo bought the Morgan , 250 quid . Same Dutch au pair girl but a better car. Ah 1968 , 21 yo and not a care in the world.

IMGP0024 (2).JPG

IMGP0025 (2).JPG

great thanks,  yes you could pick up a morgan then for around the £250 mark  one of my best was an Alvis TC21 3litre

I am trying to find a pic but all gone I think, but what lovely days they were, I can still smell that lovely exhaust and sound of those old engines

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

great thanks,  yes you could pick up a morgan then for around the £250 mark  one of my best was an Alvis TC21 3litre

I am trying to find a pic but all gone I think, but what lovely days they were, I can still smell that lovely exhaust and sound of those old engines

Like this.....

images (18) (11).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Spangles, kola Cubes, pineapple chunks, sweet cigarretes, sherbet dips, licorice, rainbow Kaily, love hearts, sherbet lemons.black jacks, fruit salad.

Park Drive sold as singles, otherwise Embassy or No.6 for the coupons.posh fags were Benson &Hedges gold pkt..lol

Rainbow Kaily?....only one I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Ha......my recollection is No6 cigarettes (?)......or senior service (?).    I can remember the lady in the shop opening  packets and selling cigarettes, as you say, individually or maybe in batches of five. 

I remember in the 60's a skinny fag called Domino came out sold only as fives in a paper pack with no lid 6d a pack

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Like this.....

images (18) (11).jpeg

yes thanks , but thats beautiful concourse condition and today you  would be looking at North of £75k

mine cost me £50 as you can imagine .....not that beautiful condition , but I loved every bit of her.

covered many thousands of miles in her too

2 minutes ago, lodstewart said:

ha yes, When I first started work , I as a mailboy in a import and export comany near Green Park W1. Old victorian buiding,

One of our duties was to clear up the Boardroom after a meeting , in the centre of the table was the big silver cigarette box,

always fiiled with a very expensive cigarette called Passing Cloud needless to say we stuffed our pockets 55

...and and every man and his dog smoked!!

Sitting in car with four adults smoking on a six hour journey........my lungs must be shot. We also lived in a pub for awhile......you could hardly see from one side to the other.

We flew Newcastle to Douglas (1960?)......and I remember the air hostess telling my dad he couldn't smoke a cigar on the flight......only cigarettes.

Edited by Surelynot

Just now, Surelynot said:

...and and every man and his dog smoked!!

Sitting in car with four adults smoking on a six hour journey........my lungs must be shot. We also lived in a pub for awhile......you could hardly see from one side to the other.

Friday or Saturday night out was usually in a "working mens club" like walking into a steam room only it was fag smoke ! With a <deleted> singer or band on stage. and stopping for a quick Bingo session.......lol....

• Haha 1